A3 2.0tdi sport 04 Change in idle and fans cutting in?

Wats-on

Reaction score
Looking for some help with my a3,

Was sat in traffic yesterday in neutral, then the car started increase idle to 1000rpm and the fans cut in, I turned the engine off and started it again and it went back to normal.
But its now doing it every time I leave it idling for more than 30 seconds to a minute.
Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Looking for some help with my a3,

Was sat in traffic yesterday in neutral, then the car started increase idle to 1000rpm and the fans cut in, I turned the engine off and started it again and it went back to normal.
But its now doing it every time I leave it idling for more than 30 seconds to a minute.
Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Welcome to ASN. Enjoy the forum. :)

I have the same problem with my A3 tdi 140 2004 . Any ideas to solve this ? I have fault code p1643 DTC MEMORY OF ELECTRIC LOAD CONTROLLER . Any ideas anyone .

Hi Guys,

I have an A3 2.0 TDI Sport 140 and in the past few weeks I've noticed my idle go to 1000RPM randomly. When I hit the accelerator it drops back down to 800RPM, but then it'll go up again and there's no pattern to this.

I haven't checked to see if the fans are turning on first thing in the morning (I will do though) but I do notice a rumbling noise now and then, maybe a rattle of something.

I had a Golf MK4 before this and the idle used to go up and down quite often, I found that the problem was with a dirty throttle body and cleaning it fixed it for a few months... I'm wondering if it's the same problem with the Audi.. I might take the air filter off on the weekend and spray some brake cleaner down the TB to see if it has any affect.

I read on another thread that the ELECTRIC LOAD CONTROLLER fault could be linked to a bad battery. I've not checked my fault codes, I don't have the tools to do so with the canbus system, but am I right in saying that if the battery has enough juice to start the car in the morning then it shouldn't really be a reason for this fault?

I'm hoping the throttle body clean helps. Please let me know if you guys have any other ideas or solutions.

Thanks all!

Hi, welcome to ASN. There are some threads at the top of this section. Have a read through see if can get any info there. One of the guys will be along shortly. Post pics of your car. Enjoy the forum.

Does sound very similar!
My next step is to clean the TB too, I have a friend who had to change his because it had a build up of dirt.

I also have the glow plug light coming on and flashing, but it is at very random times, theres no obvious reason for it, ive had it plugged in but no fault codes were read, I have a feeling the software wasnt up to date though so having it done again at another place.

Anyone had that problem?

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I have now believe I have solved my problem today,I have had the battery checked out after reading another post and believe it or not it was shafted which was causing the ecu to fault .i have now done 100 miles since changing the battery ,no fault codes ,no fans running and no increase in revs yippee .i hope this info helps others out there.[/FONT]

Had it plugged in today, glow plug light is the brake pedal switch. Also showed a short circuit on the cooling fan.
Sorting that out on monday!

Hi all, I changed my battery too, got a new Bosch and in the past two weeks I've had no irregular idling. Problem solved. I spoke to an Audi mechanic who said that when the battery can't produce enough power, the ECU shifts the revs up to compensate. Problem solved.

I had the same problem. Replacing the battery was also for me the solution.

Hi,

Replacing the battery could be the solution.
But those fan problems can also mean that little intake flap motor is faulty.
That intake flap and the fans share the same wiring/fuse and the car sensing that there's a fault in the circuit turns the fans on (assuming that there's an overheat).
But that shouldn't be your problem, as you stated the fans stop after you turn the engine off, and if it was the flap motor the fans should be continuously on for some hours.

Cheers.

Thanks for the help! Will try the battery next! Finding this forum so helpful! ha