A3 TDI 2005 juddering at idle

if at -4.4 undue 3 bolts on front pulley and put spanner on large bolt in middle and just give a couple of little taps towards front of car then tighten and check,
this is how I did mine and its now bang on .

you may need to check the rear cam but this has to be done by pinning the crank as vag com cant check rear cam

if at -4.4 undue 3 bolts on front pulley and put spanner on large bolt in middle and just give a couple of little taps towards front of car then tighten and check,
this is how I did mine and its now bang on .

you may need to check the rear cam but this has to be done by pinning the crank as vag com cant check rear cam
Hi, my engine is aligned sideway. So intake cam is the right hand side pulley for Me? I don't have to lock the two pulleys together?

I had this exact problem on my Audi A3 2.0tdi BKD 55plate , wobble at idle once at 90, After a few months of playing about with replacing injectors , loom , timing torsional adjustment, I finally bit the bullet and sent it to my local indy, they sorted it the same day and at a relatively minor cost from what I had spent so far ..... Lesson learnt it think I would recommend these guys if your having running issues VAG Technik in Eccles Manchester.

software adaption the invoice states after checking my torsion value correctly on the diag gear , apparently there are lots of different causes in this case it was that .

Thread revival, but does rotating the exhaust cam forward /clockwise increase idle fuel consumption and the engine torque or reduce it?

Had a terrible vibration on idle and the torsion was at -3. Adjusted that out to hovering between 0.0 and 0.5 and moved the exhaust cam forward A Lot and the vibration is now 99% gone. Fuel idle hovered between 0.0-0.2 and have now have it at 0.4 and 0.6, but I feel there's still a little fine tuning to be done!

Sent from my m3 note using Tapatalk

Little FYI of my findings. A lot of people suggest 0.0 degree inlet and 30l/ph on the exhaust cams. I've kept an excel spreadsheet recording a route of 128 miles between the exact same route late at night using cruise control at 75mph the entire way. The above settings gave 36.6mpg with a slight judder, the best setting I have found trying various settings is 0.5 degree advance with 36 l/ph on the exhaust cams giving 59.4mpg and a really smooth idle. Exact same journey, same wheels, same Tyre pressures, same speed.

Just shows what you can get with a little tweaking.

Sent from my m3 note using Tapatalk

Thats the thing, the coolant level and oil seems fine. Colour of oil etc all fine so not sure what that could indicate as the problem.
check your egr cooler, is often cause of white startup smoke.

After the last 2 months of issues I've literally had to prove all the faults I've had since my injection swap, which lead me to buy VCDS and use all of its info to build my various cases... So far it's resulted in me having the injectors replaced twice, a complete new top end fitted & next week it goes back in for a new turbo & possibly DPF too all paid for by Audi UK! Luckily I've got a background in mechanical engineering otherwise I would have been mugged off without having a clue by the original dealership all that time ago.

Since all my issues I logged an official complaint with Audi UK who directed me to another dealership to deal with & so far they've been ****** stellar! After presenting them with all the info I'd logged from the car they were genuinely interested in what I'd given them, how it had been diagnosed & how I thought it should be rectified. The torsion value adjustment came up as one of my suggestions after the car was running lumpy at idle, every person I'd spoken to at Audi whether they be at dealership level, technical level, or head office level were clueless about it, so I had to prove a point as to how inaccurate their cambelt replacement tools were in getting things spot on... The Master-tech at the latest dealership has now requested that they order VCDS to use an additional tool for their servicing ;)

I'd love to be able to tell you exactly where I got the BKD torsion readings from but the laptop that I had all that technical info stored on died the other day & I'm still trying to recover all the data off it, I only remembered them as they were only slightly different from the BMN engine (0.0 degrees) - the BKD should ideally be between 0 & -0.5 degrees as apparently they can run slightly better when retarded from 0 TDC.
Hi max69vk,

I know this post is old but you appear very knowledgeable and have or had the same car as me (BMN 170 8PA). Would you know of any reason why I can not get my rear cam below 0.6l/h on VCDs no matter how smaller an adjustment I make? My front cam is set to 0deg which got rid of all smoke and juddering at idle. I have all consumers off and the engine is warm. To add the fuel consumption starts at approx. 15l/h after each adjustment and I have to wait 10mins for it to climb slowly to 0.6. I have had at lowest at 0.58 and highest at 0.8 but never less?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi max69vk,

I know this post is old but you appear very knowledgeable and have or had the same car as me (BMN 170 8PA). Would you know of any reason why I can not get my rear cam below 0.6l/h on VCDs no matter how smaller an adjustment I make? My front cam is set to 0deg which got rid of all smoke and juddering at idle. I have all consumers off and the engine is warm. To add the fuel consumption starts at approx. 15l/h after each adjustment and I have to wait 10mins for it to climb slowly to 0.6. I have had at lowest at 0.58 and highest at 0.8 but never less?

Thanks for any help in advance.

I think there is a lot of things at play here, the main one being the age & mileage on the engine & the general wear on the cam train.

I managed to get mine as low as I did most likely due to the fact that I had a complete new top end including the cams & valve-train, so the figures you’re achieving are not really anything to worry about in the real world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk