s3 headlight washers not working

rob irl tdi

Reaction score
I tried them a few times and every couple of goes i can hear a motor working. Dont think they pop up and they definately have no water spraying

Did yours do this and how did you fix it

They only work after a few seconds of using the screen washers and don't come on if the temp is 5 degrees or lower

<tuffty/>

What the motor i hear working then? Defo tried them for a few mins and its about 5 degrees

Yea I had the lights on and nithing.

What's the next step? Bumper removal?

Yes it's a bumper off job,I had the same problem after the big freeze a while back,have you took the bumper off before ?

No , only got the car. I have done mk4 golfs before

Just to clarify they are defiantly not working and I can hear a motor and rear wiper wash isn't working

Do the sprayers have to be incliped 1st. Before bumper removal?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a rough guide - S3 Bumper removal ( I pressume the A3 is similar):

1. Open the bonnet. There are 4 black plastic plugs, poke their centres through with a small driver and try to catch them. The plugs then lift out.

2. There are about 3 or 4 screws in each of the inner front arch which need removing, they have a torx type head. Only remove the screws in the bumper vicinity.

3. There are two larger bolt/screws on the bottom of the bumper about 12" each way of the centre and two screws in the bottom at each end of the bumper.

4. The bumper then just pulls off relatively easily. If it doesn't come easily, you've probably missed a screw.

5. Be sure to have a blanket or similar to rest the bumper on.

You say your rears aren't working either though :uhm: you do have to press the rears for a moment or two,I would keep it pressed to see if any fluid comes out before removing bumper.
I guess there may be just water in there and it has frozen ?

No because the windscreen wiper washers work

Also do I have to unclog the bumper jets before removal?

Once the bumpers removed you pull the cap up and unclip it and iirc two screws hold the jet in place,jets are 50 quid I think but hopefully it's just a blocked hose Rob

Cheers lads. Hopefully I can get them sorted

The jets just work off pressure do they?

Process of elimination... check pump is working first... it makes a different noise to the washer pump and is noticeable... if the pump works then take the bumper off an check water is coming out of pipe at the joint, if it is then its gonna be a problem with the jets...

<tuffty/>