One for the Diesel boys

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Any one out there fitted a FMIC on to their diesel?
Mainly the AFN people of us.

I think I've spent to much time talking to the 1.8T boys and their tuning habits and it got me thinking.

I found this on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310334525281

N
ot that I would fit one to audrey but thought has crossed my mind.
So wondering if its been done and what you lot think about the idea for a diesel.

Im pretty sure the intercooler is not a restricting factor on the afn until you get near 200 bhp.

Im pretty sure the intercooler is not a restricting factor on the afn until you get near 200 bhp.

And thats miles way, Turbo, injectors, 11/12mm fuel pump and some other bits.

All relatively cheap for the gain you get but I wonder how a FMIC or the above would effect MPG.

I'd disagree.

The airflow on a diesel for a given power output is about 50% greater than a petrol due to the AFR a deisel runs at.

At 180hp on a petrol engine, the intercooler is already pretty hopeless, it heatsoaks very quickly and you can easily see silly IAT's.

Given a TDI will be flowing the same amount of air at ~120hp, as a petrol will at 180hp, its obvious the stock intercooler is already out of its depth on even a mildly tuned TDI.

Now yes, unlike a petrol a derv wont suffer quite as badly with high inlet temps, but its still not a great idea, in terms of power nor longevity to be pumping in roasting hot air.

Bear in mind that Audi themselves fitted a much larger FMIC style intercooler to the 150PD golf, meaning that at 150hp the engine wasnt being kept cool enough with the stock intercooling setup.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…