Auto wiper and lights

whiteek4

Reaction score
Hi, am after some help. I have recently had my windscreen replaced. The sensor for the lights and wipers where fine before it being changed, but now when its frosty the sensor fault light comes on untill its defrosted. I have been on the phone to the window people and are looking in to it but would like to try find out my self. Any help would be great. Thanks

Is that the whole sensor(ir whole mirrow unit) or just the gel pad? I have been back and they changed the pad but its still faulty when its frosty and doesnt seem to pick up the rain as good as it used to! Thanks

usually they change the sensor when they change the screen

Thats not true sorry, they change the gel, but sensor is reused.

You should remove the mirror, then sensor, open the sensor if its the detachable version & then check for any water inside, also you could try checking some measuring blocks, but check the plug is pushed home & no pins are bent.

Well they have changed the gel pad 2 times now, i 1st time the fault light in the dis was on constant but the 2nd time it was fine only till it was frosted over. Like i say its just coming up with a fault when its frosty and the sensor it frozen over. The window company is trying to tell me that its ment to do this but it never did it before the windscreen was changed! Thanks

Well i have had the mirrow off, there is no water visable, pins on the connector are fine. The only thing is measuring blocks part coz ave not got any. Thanks

Measuring blocks is done with diagnostics tool like VCDS via computer.

You ideally need to try another sensor mate as they may have damaged that one, I have 1 here & you're welcome to buy this one of me, if it doesnt make any difference then return for a refund, postage down to you though, alternatively depends where you are, could come along & do it all for you, problem is you say its only when its frosty.

Ask them which manufacturer of screen it is, as it maybe badly insulated, but not heard of a sensor susceptible to the cold on the screen unless its goosed.

Thanks for the advice! I have had the window people on the phone today. He's been talking with audi etc and got a new mirrow/sensor to fit so hopeing this solves the problem. Thank for the help. :)