bxe engine crap?

Great you've got a different engine code .

Then there are others who think they had a BKC until...

Apologies about resurrecting an old thread but I my last car (2008 MK5 1.9TDI) was a BXE engine which blew a conrod out of the crankcase at 130k miles. I was doing 60mph in an overtaking lane as I was overtaking another car.

I bought it (from a VW dealer) at 113k and it died at 130k. Serviced her twice in my ownership and she died just after servicing with the best oil/filters I could buy.

I'm currenty at small claims court over it as it was incredibly dangerous!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gazwould
Only got a court date now.

VW dealer came back with - ''you had a 3 month warranty and after that we aren't liable. You didn't service the car with us either so we aren't liable.''

I was lucky with my 2006 Passat I bought in2010 with 100,000 miles on original engine. BXE engine code. Had it 7 years and sold it 200,000 miles on it only Normal wear and tear times nothing with the engine. I serviced it every 6k miles and was fine. Luck u suppose.

Also had the exact same problem very recently. Broken piston at 112k A3 1.9tdi assuming it is BXE code. ******* oil out of the dip stick and exhaust fumes out of the air intake. Any longer driving it would have undoubtedly thrown a con rod.

Very interesting to hear that it seems to be a common trend for it to happen shortly after a service. Mine was serviced probably a week before it happened. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

I am going to have a new lump in it, hopefully a BKC. It is not the most economically viable thing to do but it is cheaper than selling as scrap and then buying a new car.