Dry sumping a 2.0 Tdi

Trumpyman

Reaction score
As the title says - simple question,has anyone done it...thoughts???

I second that thought !

Isnt dry sumping used in very high performance cars to stop oil starvation during high G cornering ? Cant see a 2.0tdi A4 pulling those kind a Gs even a heavy modded one !!!!!

I suspect the question about dry sumping has been raised to get around the defective oil pump/ balance shaft design inherent in the early 2.0 tdi engines ?
If this is the case and it could be done, I would say what would you do about the balance shaft as this would still need to be driven even if one ran the engine in a dry sump configuration?

Paul B

If, as Paul suggests, the motivation is to deal with the oil pump situation, it strikes me that it's an attempt to lower the river when raising the bridge would be easier.

Jdp/paul B7 - yes,it is. Jdp - Could you explain your post? I am a VERY p****d off audi 'owner' who has no faith what so ever in his motor. As i see it,even the audi 'mod' is doomed to failure,so i am all ears as for a solution,that will work.

Jdp - Could you explain your post?

It means I thought you were proposing something that was more complicated than necessary. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't aware of the problems you've had since you bought the car

Last edited:
Yeah,problems a many! One of which being the shaft...which is now done,which who knows how long it will last. This post only cropped up as someone i was talking to about the woes didn't know if dry sumping it was an option,so i thought i would mention on here to see the reaction...Personally i don't know much about it,hence the post.