HID conversion

3.2Q

Reaction score
How much would I be looking at for a HID conversion for my A3? Also how difficult are they to fit?

I know that andi1 sells Canbus compatible HID kits that won't cause a wiper motor issue - like most HID kits have done when fitted to A3's - and IIRC they cost around £100. They are also pretty easy to fit, but I personally would only fit a HID kit to headlights with projector lenses (like in the BiXenons) and not a light with only reflector lenses (as in the standard headlights). One of the main reasons being that if fitted in reflector lights and the beam pattern isn't 100% spot on, HIDs tend to blind oncoming motorists. MOT regs are changing in December this year too, to crack down on HID kits being used in reflector lenses. I think the regs also stipulate that you must have self levelling suspension and headlight washers too, if you have Xenons. Your best bet would be to buy a secondhand set of BiXenons if you really want the pure white light look or even a cool set of upgraded white headlamp bulbs. There are some out there that are as white as Xenons (ie Philips Diamond Vision, ..cheaper than PIAA Extreme Whites and MUCH whiter, lol). :) x

Not sure but they will be tested (and failed) on the MOT soon, they will also most likely become more aware for the police who will pull you over. Jan 2012 i believe its being introduced, cant remember now.
Unless you have headlight washers and self levelling adjusters, then they are 'ok' to fit.

(you beat me to it lol)

Basically OEM or nothing as the hid kits will blow your wiper motor.

But if you can get them where they cant blow the wiper motos and if they break make sure the person who sells you them will pay for them (i wouldnt risk it).

OEM will cost you around 400 for the headlights and thn you will need levelers and washers.

I have them fitted without the levelers or washers and ive passed MOT. You can manually adjust them aswel so you dont blind people

Cool! Thanks for ur advice guys, think I'll scrap that idea and look for some Phillips diamond vision bulbs :)

Basically OEM or nothing as the hid kits will blow your wiper motor.

But if you can get them where they cant blow the wiper motos and if they break make sure the person who sells you them will pay for them (i wouldnt risk it).

OEM will cost you around 400 for the headlights and thn you will need levelers and washers.

I have them fitted without the levelers or washers and ive passed MOT. You can manually adjust them aswel so you dont blind people

Thats because its not part of the test yet, once it is you will fail for lack of adjusters, might be worth getting it sorted before the change comes into affect

Fitting just a HID kit on a car looks crap and causes issues for other drivers as well as an MOT failure and getting pulled over for blinding everyone.

You could go and fit the Standard xenon housings (xenon low beam, halogen main beam), the bi-xenon housing (xenon low and main beam with DRLs) or the Adaptive bi-xenons (xenon low beam that bends around corners and xenon main beam with DRLs )

I would advise to go for bi-xenons like these:
AUDI A3 / S3 BI- XENON HEADLAMPS | eBay
they will work without the washers and auto levellers even if it is a MOT requirement. i got my set for £330 delivered.
you would also need an adapter to get the lights connected to the central electrics module for the DRL and bi-xenon shutters. its well worth the cost and makes the car look so much better.

here are the adaptive ones for which you will have to fit the auto levellers to work:
AUDI A3 S3 ADAPTIVE BI XENON BI-XENON LIGHTS GENUINE | eBay

if you want any of those lights fitted let me know.

Cheers dude I'll take a look :)

Thats because its not part of the test yet, once it is you will fail for lack of adjusters, might be worth getting it sorted before the change comes into affect

They have been saying they are adding it to the test for about 5 years now and still havent.

It also depends on how well you know the MOT guy :whistle2:

Saying that if i did fail they are just plug and play with a 2 second coding so i would just put the standard ones back in then take them out

I wouldnt touch those adaptives, check the passenger headlight, it looks like its been taken apart & the part number doesnt seem right with an L on end for bixenons, other set, well guy sold his only set before, now he magically has another, very strange.

MOT rules are including HID systems, I read an EU document update few months ago, appears to be true, also shortened number plates are to be classed as a fail, straight from an mot tester, Ew you got any updates yet?

eagle eyes! yes they do look like they have been opened!

looking at the L though... would that stand for Left as the other one has R on it?

eagle eyes! yes they do look like they have been opened!

looking at the L though... would that stand for Left as the other one has R on it?

Urrrmmm you know what, I'm thinking to much like a german & VAG these days dohhh, in all the lights I've messed with I never even noticed they labelled L & R, I mean ytf would they do that as lets be honest, its kinda obvious 1st given they wont fit anyother way & 2nd the part numbers clearly denote what they are, but I'll give you that as just checked my own.

What also threw me is I've seen other lights with the letters on end of part number in big bold as that is & there is an actual drivers side with an R on end for bixenon lmfao, hopefully you can see my logic, albeit wth a bit of stupidity :whistle2:

Nigel i totally understand you mate... i mean after you look at part numbers with all sorts of superceeded letters and colour codes you would think that... and yes how stupid does one have to be that you need an indication of left and right on the headlight!
I mean putting L and R on a headlight doesnt really distinguish if its meant for LHD or RHD so its completely useless.

but like you said it does look opened... the seal on the top of that left headlight looks like he went at it with a crow bar

Not heard anything solid on the coming changes to the testing scheme. All I know for sure is we will have to buy a new toy to test the wirig for tow bars & a spray to test for LPG leaks. Other than that they have said about xenons and changing advisories on torn trackrod/balljoint boots to failures as opposed to the current advisory. Come September all paperwork will be printed on plain paper not the coloured pre printed ones you get now.