Cup holder won't latch

A3 steve

Reaction score
I have never used the cup holder in my S3, the other day when going up the ramp into a car park it sprung out and now won't latch back in :no:

Can this be fixed or does it need replacement? easy job and any tips?

Cheers

Steve

Had the same issue, if you do it reeeeely slowly it will latch. Seems to be an age thing (Gets harder to latch as time goes on). The ashtray on mine did the same thing. I'm certain someone more experienced will be able to help you fix properly/replace.

very easy to replace! take the suround off around the cup holder hazard light etc. The cup holder has a clip each side it just slides out.
I had to take mine out the other day to replace my hazard light switch, i have no idea what a replacement holder will cost you?

Thanks,
How does the surround come off, does i just unclip from the sides?

yeah just carefully lever the surround from each side the clips for the surround are at the top it come off dead easy.

The latch breaks... had it with mine... they are around 45 quid (maybe plus vat I can't remember) from a dealer... the black surround pops off with 'gentle' prising... the cup holder is latched in at the top... I ended up getting it in the right position and then hot gluing the gears (you will see what I mean when you take it out)... I don't use the thing and not ready to pay nearly 50 quid for one as yet...

<tuffty/>

5o quid for a cup holder!! thats madness i would check out a vag breakers company online or you might get lucky at your local scrap yard i bet you could get a secondhand one for a tenner.

Cant believe this has been mentioned today. Mine doesn't latch either. Managed to prise it out it works as a cup holder as long as I don't push it all the way back. How long till a passenger of mine pushes it too far.

Why on earth do people do auctions for more than 7 days?!?

Unfortunately I won't be able to bid, going to a festival on the Island of Pag in Croatia.

Just put your highest bid you never know you might win it!

Check out goofbay.com . You can use the sniper tool to place a bid for you, set it specifically when to bid for you, this can be set seconds before the bid ends. Not used it myself by mate has, you just log in using your ebay details.

Thanks for the info, I screwed it in the closed position for now:

IMG_0716.jpg

I managed to get one from a breakers today for about £2!!! I'm going back there on Monday as they have a few more A3's. If there's any working cup holders in them i'll grab them. ;)

I managed to get one from a breakers today for about £2!!! I'm going back there on Monday as they have a few more A3's. If there's any working cup holders in them i'll grab them. ;)

First dibs on one if you get any spare :O)

ive got the same problem i can take it out with a thin metal object, its just sticky my 1. and i dont think its ever been used much :p