Another turbo chatter question

paulsaudi

Reaction score
Hi everyone ; )

I have just purchased a 2001 AMK 212bhp S3

I am very happy with it. She is as standard as the day she left the factory.

Its covered 96k with full history and only just had belt, water pump, clutch, 4x coil packs from audi, new discs and pads all round.

ANYHOW........

I thought i would try a cone filter on it for more recirc noise and it sounded awesome. BUT at very low revs upto say 3-3.5k it would chatter if you didnt give it any beans etc but @ full boost it would give off just a woooshh.

There was no chatter with airbox on, so put it back on before and no chatter.

People say its bad but i have rang everywhere and they all say if you put a cone filter on a turbo car with a recirc valve you will always get low rpm chatter when tickling the throttle etc.

Anybody else run just a cone filter?? What sound you getting??

It has a factory DV on it bosch i think.

If i never fitted cone filter i would have never heard it.

Your opinions please......

Paul

i get that with the airbox on , APY engine tho, have you read the other chatter thread?

Yes i have but no definate answer.

I read your post and i would say mine was the same as yours.

Yes i have but no definate answer.

I read your post and i would say mine was the same as yours.

mine has done it for years, i like it so wont be changing it, as superkarl says you dont want it on boost, surge is bad and a killer, check the video i posted in the surge thread for a good explanation of turbo surge.

As your car is still stock, you should find if you do the N249 delete then you eliminate the pulsing that occurs with dv and you'll find the chattering goes.