2000 to 2001 1.9 TDi Known faults / issues

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anyone know if there are any known faults with late 1.9 TDi Avant's. Going to look at a couple on tuesday and intrested to know if anyone has issues with turbos, DMF, engines etc. I have vag-com so will be checking the cars over. Not realy to bothered minor things like bushes, arms CV boots, as I have a 1-2k budget for replacement parts. I know I could look at the B6 model, but I prefer the looks of the B5.:icon_thumright:

Also is there a engine code to look for I.E like the BLB on the B7?

I had a 2001 90PS engined B5 1.9 TDi. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. My dad has it now and it's got over 220k on the clock!

Only issues I had with it in 2 years were the driver's door lock mechanism needed replacing (kept saying the door was open on the display when it wasn't) and the bonnet alarm switch. That was it. Car was great to drive, just a little underpowered, that's all.

Thanks for the reply.

I've just picked up a 2001 B5 A4 1.9TDi Avant AJM engine so 115BHP. The engine runs well but I'm going to get all the belts & tensioners done, also the water pump & thermostat at the same time. Also Just ordered a complete new set of front arms & disks/pads all round.

I do have question about shocks, again I want to replace the shock &springs all round, but not sure what to get, the car has the "sportssuspension" but with 140K they are worn out.

I don’t want to lower the car just replace what is there. I’ve been on ECPand it’s looking around £500 for the lot is that good or bad?

I'm no expert tbh, I'm sure someone else will advise you better but £500 is around AP coilovers money. You could get those and then have the option of adjusting the ride height if you want to later, that is unless you want a softer ride of course, in which case I'd just stick with OEM, but shop around, try GSF (German, Swedish and French) for an alternative quote.

I would go for a Bilstein Sprintline or Koni SSK kit for that money, or perhaps Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Bilstein B6 or Koni Sport dampers.

The both offer mild lowering (but not much seen as your cars already on sport suspension) and vastly better damping, and quality levels hugely superior to anything you'll find in a similarly priced coilover kit. It will also drive like the stock car, but will be tighter and more controlled thru the bends.

Really isnt sensible spending £500+ and just refitting stock parts, espeically as no aftermarket company sells sport springs/dampers so they'd need to be baught direct from Audi or from someone like TPS.

Cheers, other than ECP is there anywhere else I could try for better pricing, got an actual quote today and it came out a £560.

Your not going to get OEM sports suspension much cheaper tbh, and thats assuming that price IS actually sports suspension, because as i said earlier they are Audi only parts, which motorfactors typically wont sell.

Just had a look and ECP are charging £120 a damper for sport dampers, which is pretty much what you'd pay at an Audi dealer.

That makes £480 for the dampers alone.

Audi charge £75 per spring for sport springs, ECP charge 50.

So that makes 680 from ECP for an actual OEM sport suspension kit.

Koni SSK and Bilstein Sprintline are £560 and will without doubt outperform the OEM stuff.

The rear are cheaper than the front around £70. The springs on EPC are an unknow quality as they are not branded. I just want a good ride quality as my B7 sline in rock hard, and don't think much of it to be honest. will check out Koni & bllstein, but do you know if they make the springs as well? as I would like a complete matching set.