A6 Automatic selector display flashing

Nosmo King

Reaction score
I started my car recently and put it in reverse. I put my foot on the accelorator and the car did not move. I then noticed the display for the automatic selector was flashing, all the symbols were flashing not just the R for reverse. I turned the engine off and restarted. The car moved off and no trouble however the display was still flashing.
I pulled into the services as I thought this might be a low gearbox oil indicator. I had my handbook in the car but there was no mention of this. As I put the car into drive it would not move off. I revved up and the car moved very slowly. After a while it was ok. That was 4 days ago, however the same happened today. It is an intermittent fault, can onyone tell me what can cause this and what are the first steps to diagnosis.
Nosmo King leebuss@btinternet.com

have a search on here for "multitronic"
The multi. boxes are known for their problems..

without stating the obvious really need to plug in a fault code reader. Mine went through a fase of dong strange things on the display (blocks out) but still drove normally, my fault code reader always said intermittant fault with either selector mechanism switch or multiplug connector on gearbox.
The selector switch contains magnets with get dirty, loose etc and the multiplug on bottom of gearbox sometimes gets damp. Have checked both on mine, cleaned up and greased and all seems fine again now. Would expect fault reader to direct you to a starting place to find fault.

ms1083
What is a fault code reader and where do I get one.
Where are the selector switch magnets located.
Can anyone tell me what oil I need for my Multitronic gearbox.

Nosmo King

fault code reader i got off ebay. got to get a VAG one. About £30-50. It is only a fault reader/eraser so you can't do any damage as you can't change the settings of the ECU like with VCDS/VAG-COM. It plugs into the multi plug below steering wheel & translates any faults from car ECU. Found it really really helpful. It can also reset/change service indication.

I have some of the gearbox oil - bought it from Audi, would not recommend buying it anywhere else as as its such posh oil better to stick with the same as the original when topping up.

Selector magnets easy to get to, pull off the trip around the selector leaver, pull off the top of the handle (you have to pull out & twist the release button first - the one you push to engage reverse) then it is relatively obvious - I can't exactly remember now, just did what ELSA said. Maybe you should also get a copy of ELSA off ebay (Audi workshop manual) not expensive.

Nosmo King
I had this fault on my car for some time, it started as intermittent and up and till recently it was every time I started the car. I lost reverse altogether at the shops which was embarrassing.. I was told by quite a few dealers that I need to replace the gearbox which is expensive. My brother hooked up the car on VAG.com and it came up as an error code 17090 - the ECU. It seems to be working fine for now but at least I know what the problem is. I phoned a local garage called Regal who does ECU testing and can replace the part that's faulty. If you need any info google ECU TESTING who explained the symptoms my car was showing.

I had the very same issue on my car, and it was being caused by a switch inside the gearbox. My car was purchased from a used car dealer, and this fault developed within 6 months of purchase so I was covered by the law, and the car went to an audi repair center, the gearbox switch was removed and it was reconditioned, put back together again and handed back to me, no cost to me at all.

Took them about 3 weeks (it was done during all that snow we had)