A3 POWER STEERING

OKKA

Reaction score
Hi,
Two weeks ago the red power steering light came on and i lost all power steering on my A3 2.0 fsi 53 plate, The mechanic had it in and hes mate put a computer on it. He couldnt get no codes from the powersteering so they have come to the conclusion i need a new Powersteering rack and ecu. Audi do the complete kit for £1700 and VW do the same for £1250 its because Audi have had issues in the past with the powersteering and now its all been re desighned on the new models. So the older models need new kit to fit. Does anyone know if i get a second hand ECU if that would be the first step to try and get this sorted. And is the ECU located on the steering column.

Thx OKKA

Ive just had my steering rack replaced- common Audi and A3 weak point, was creaking like a mofo, and apparently when their lowered our chassis put even more strain on them.

Got mine for £100 was a low-ish miles rack off ebay from a 2.0TQ, I think they are all the same. The racks were redesigned after 2007 or 2008 to a more durable design, not sure about the ECU but mine didnt need one.

I find it odd that there's no code being that the light came on. Something must have reported the fault for it it light up.

Thx lads the thing is the technician couldnt get no codes from the ECU so wouldnt that mean its knackered. Just had a quote back from a re con place in Rochester £ 35.00 + VAT to test rack and ECU and if it can be repaired £300 + VAT + carriage. Not bad compared to Audi .... Anyway wrote and complained to local Audi dealer its a safety concern to me and they should have done Re - Calls.

If the module/ECU was faulty then a scan would report it as being either a faulty component or no communiction with the module. Should be a fault either way surely? Being as mine is a 53 plate FSi with only 33K on the clock I'd welcome a recall for future peace of mind LOL

Last edited:
Yes i see what your saying ...... 33k on a 53 plate not bad. I will post more when i have info on this anoying problem.... Thx anyway

Yeah somethings not right as ew correctly stated either wont communicate with rack or you will get some errors in other modules.

The 8P is synonymous for rack issues which is why they have plenty supply at audi distribution center all the time, last time I checked there were near 200 on the shelf which tbh is almost unheard of in audi parts levels, so says allot to me.

The rack was redesigned in 2007/8 I think as it was so crap, got me a good used later model, seems ok so far, soooooo much cheaper then a new one!

They have actually changed it twice, they have Gen 1, 2 & 3 with iirc 2 & 3 requiring differences in looms, also iirc only real difference visually are the bolts holding bits on with a gen 3, internals may have changed a little though, but by my research not vastly.

They have actually changed it twice, they have Gen 1, 2 & 3 with iirc 2 & 3 requiring differences in looms, also iirc only real difference visually are the bolts holding bits on with a gen 3, internals may have changed a little though, but by my research not vastly.

I've got aa 55 plate 1.6 SE...

If or when mine gives up the ghost could I just get one fitted from a newer 8P (and are they the same regardless of model/engine size)?

I think the quoted you used answers you tbh.

Hi lads Audi sorted got a steering rack and ECU from a breakers in worksop they were so helpfull came the next day. The parts cost me £196.00 so total with fitting and laser tracked and the technicians time £500.00 and it does feel totally different to drive a lot smoother.
Thx for your replies.

Sorry to bring up an old thread.. But I've just had pretty much the exact same problem happen to myself. Like you the technician couldn't find any fault in the power steering computer but.. The fault actually lies in a different area.. If that makes sense? But much like you found, mine also needs a new rack. Really hoping this is covered under warranty!