Turbo cool down period?

Pontio

Reaction score
Hello everybody, i have yet another question. as i have never owned a turbo car before i'd like to know should i let the car run for a little while at idle before switching it off after every journey to maintain the turbo?

I drive mine slowly for a while before i arrive at the destination but if i don't or can't then i do usually run it on idle for a min or so before i turn the key off.

ok. cheers. i usually do that anyway, just wanted to see what others do.

in the vw manuel for my golf it recommends two mins after every trip, should be the same for the s3. i heard the tt had an oil pump that used to stay on for a bit after u turn the engine off to stop the oil getting ****** on the turbo shaft! might be the same on the s3

You can hear the "after run" pump if you stay close to the grille after turning the ignition off. It runs for approx 5-10 min after each ignition off. It pumps coolant water though, so I guess it doesent hurt to let the oil circulate a bit befor tuning off the engine if it has been driven hard.

Yeah I leave the car idle for about 30 secs to 1 min before I switch her off. Anything that helps prolong the life of the turbo is welcomed!

Cheers
rich.

As said, the after run pump circulates water around the turbo body, not oil.

On classic subaru's there used to be a sticker on the inside door suggesting to leave the car at idle for 2mins following hard driving. I would suggest at least the same 2 mins plus. get a turbo timer!

dont think he's on any forums mate, but Edition 38 is the best for info and help on any Golf stuff.
Not seen a Mk.4 dash in one , Mk.4 Polo dashes go in tho.
i can remember certain things he got stuck on.
Emerald ECU's make sure its compatible with the immobiliser in the Mk.4 clocks , he managed to bypass that and run it in mk.1 GTI clocks.
Intercoolers, get the best one possible , he used an iveco turbo daily one !!!
Front shockers, due to the extra weight of the engine, he used mk.1 convertible koni's
Drive shafts bending due to the torque !
Only use cable change boxes out of a passat or G60.
But it is one of the most mental things ive been in especially against a bently GT at around 160mph !!!
I used to have a maxed out G60 Mk.2 and top end was very similar, immense torque, miles more than a S3 and a modded subaru . He'll love it to bits !!!
If he does have any queries give us a shout and ill get him to mail ya.

cheers. hes got 350hp out of the engine and is currently getting custom driveshafts made to take the power. fully adjustable suspension too.