Lowering a 1.8T Sport

mjsulliva

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got an 03 1.8T Sport on 18" rims. To delay my itch for trading it in, I'm looking to do some mods.

I believe Audi lowered the Sport by 20mm over standard, so when I see adverts for lowering springs at 35mm and 50mm, I assume this is from the standard ride height? So I have a lower net gain?

Assuming I have the standard Sport shocks (whatever they are), am I wise to replace them too? The cars done 95K though to be honest seems to handle OK.

Also, can I just replace the springs for even shorter ones or am I gonna start hitting the bump stops with the shocks I have?

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a newb at this, so please be gentle. But all advice greatly appreciated

cheers, Matt

I have the Sport model and to start off with just changed the springs to koni, kept the standard sport shocks (85k) the car handled well but it wasnt low enough for me so Im now on coilovers but if your working on a buget they are worth a look

Thanks for your replies so far. I'll probably budget within £500, but looks and performance are equally important. I don't want it sitting on the ground, but I reckon it could go another 20mm or so without looking OTT. And I'd like a firm but not horrendous ride, I'm getting old and fat and need a little of comfort. I don't think my current std Sport setup is that firm.

So any recommendations for a suspension system that satisfies all of the above..... many thanks in advance!
cheers, Matt

Hi Matt,

Is your car a quattro or fwd?

OK, so 45mm springs will lower my car another 25mm-ish.

Can someone tell me the difference in ride and handling between a spring/shock setup and coilovers. E.g. AP coilovers set at 45mm all round.

Thanks again

The Sport is around 15mm lower then factory so I'd say you'll get around 30mm from a 45mm kit.

Coilovers are height adjustable so you'd be able to set them to what ever height you want.

Damian @ DPM Performance