A3 8L 1998 Audio updgrade options?

waggawagga

Reaction score
Hi, I have an A3 8L 1998 with stock Concert cassette radio. Would like to upgrade so I can play CDs and MP3s. Know I could just throw in an aftermarket stereo to do this but can't see anything that doesn't look out of place.

I did try a Sony CD radio for a while but quickly came to my senses and removed it. Couldn't stand the look of it (silver) and the bright blue led. Car is black and interior lights are red.

There is a Bose sub in the boot and the what appears to be cables to connect a CD player. Was wondering what you guys would recommend in terms of upgrading?

Should I just hookup a CD changer in boot? Should I attempt to fit a changer into the glovebox? Or can both be fitted? Would also like option of connecting in my phone or ipod to play tunes off those devices.

What is the best route to go while still mantaining the original look and style of my little baby lol? Please note I'm a complete newbie here and to cars in general - so go easy on me. All help very much appreciated.

Thanks very much! Great forum.

Alpine look good that's what I had in my 1.8 20v. They are black,you can have them light up red and they have IPod connection....

I very much doubt the sound is great, cassette adapters are dreadful at best and went out of use in the 80's.
You need a Connects2 AUX in adapter or xcarlink

I am in the process of an overhaulof my 98 8L audio.

First, check this amazing thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ftyblokes-s3-minor-modding-thread-13.html#609

Here is my desired spec. (x where I've already fitted them)

x Kenwood head unit
x 4 x Fli 6x9 on custom parcel shelf with amp (partially fitted)
upgrade to rear speakers (rear quarter panels) and front door speakers to replace with 6.5'' and 5.25'' respectively.
x Fli Sub

Regarding the head unit, the Kenwood ones really match the dash well. This one particularly is my favourite. bluetooth, rear ipod and MP3 CD and custom colour LEDs making it match the LED dash colour. Amazon.co.uk: Kenwood KDC-BT60U Car Radio with Bluetooth USB/iPod/CD/MP3 Receiver: Explore similar items

@TheButtonz Thanks for this. Very helpful. Will have a proper read of that thread when I get a chance. Would you have a pic of the Kenwood KDC-BT60U fitted? I think it is hard to beat the look of the factory fitted Concert stereo - so now debating whether to replace headunit or go the "Connects2 AUX in adapter or xcarlink" suggested by AndyMac. What do you reckon?

Last edited:
Thanks Jdas. That is my current solution. Have phone loaded with MP3s and hooked up via the cassette adapter. Fine for now but think sound could be clearer.

Thanks for all the responses. I've taken the plunge and ordered an Apline CDA 117.

Last edited:
I'll post a pic of my current Kenwood HU, but I don't have the BT60u yet. Saving my pennies (after changing the clutch, brakes, cambelt, crankshaft etc...)

The BT60u has rear connections for ipod and 3.5m jack, hence my excitement (front AV just doesn't cut it for me anymore) and it also has blutooth and an external mike, parrott style.