Should i buy this or not? Help please?

Gops

Badger 5 Edition
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hi guys! I know this question has been up before but im looking for a car for my sister, some ibiza's and found a few good cars. However in my quest i seen this 09 ibiza which had covered 6000 miles!! Only problem was when i called she said it had light damage at the rear from an accident. She did say it was light damage and had been repaired by insurers but it was still a Cat-D. Should i consider getting this? I did think about future selling prices but my sister would be keeping this for a very long time so im in a dilemma..

The link to the car - 2009 SEAT IBIZA 1.4 Sport 3dr Sport Coupe

id appriciate your advice guys!:thumbsup:

Gops

Cat d is nothing I've just bought my son a Cat d Corsa as he has just passed his test.It cost me £300 pound to get fixed and hd has a nice little car for lot cheaper than what the book price is. It all depends on how cheap it is and whether your sister is bothered about driving around in a cat d car

It's an 09 plate! I'm not sure if it is on the log book but the owner did say
It was bought back and repaired and was a cat d. U reckon I should check it out to see the damage!?

We have owned 1 cat C car and 1 cat D..my theory is, if you are going to keep the car for a long time then the resale cost shouldn't be a factor that you look at. What you want to consider is how long does the car in question typically last. That's on 09 plate, if I was after a motor, I would definitely consider it.

As above, how much cheaper is it that the non-damaged equivalent?

It's an 09 plate! I'm not sure if it is on the log book but the owner did say
It was bought back and repaired and was a cat d. U reckon I should check it out to see the damage!?

Gops, if the seller has told you it's a CatD, you can bet your house on it that it would be registered as a CatD on a HPi check, there's no reason for a seller to make such a thing up to devalue his/her car.

Another thing to point out is, for an 09 plate to be CatD, it's never a small bump! Just think for a bit how much the car value is for an 09 plate, and for the repair of the damage to exceed this value to be registered as a CatD, I'm sure you can put 2 + 2 together.

Of course, if you still fancy it, I'd definitely have a good poke around, make sure all panels at the back end line up, look at the boot floor/wheelwell from underneath the car and by opening the boot and lifting the carpet etc. to see if it's all nice and straight.

I'd ask to see the pre-repair photos if they have them.

To declare a car Cat D would mean over 60% of the value of the car in repairs - so if the book value is around £6k that is over £3600 of repairs, which sounds a lot for a 'minor' bump.

As been mentioned the car is pretty new and will of had to have a lot of damage to class it as a cat d.
I just bought an A4 b5 and I wasn't told it was a cat c until I found out too late but as the car is a 95 model it would only really need a minor knock because its not worth naff all to anyone else.

Go through it with a fine combe, make sure you get as much history on it before you make any decisions. Check with a HPi company and find out exactly what happened to it and what has been done to it.

Be very caucious

As been mentioned the car is pretty new and will of had to have a lot of damage to class it as a cat d.

I agree - that car when pranged wouldn't have been all that much lower value thn when it was new - not with just 6000 miles on the clock.

'Light damage' doesn't really wash based on the fact that the damage for it to be written off (CAT D is total value of repair including VAT = greater than value of the car).

RRP of those new is £9395. Say the value of it at the point of damage was a conservative £5000 (although I think it would be more). The minimum amount it would have been to be written off at that point would be £4255.31 plus VAT (@17.5%).

How can that be classed as light damage? Even if it was less than the figure I estimate above, the damage value would have has to be into the thousands.

If it was me mate, I wouldnt, if the car is only on an 09 plate, it will still have some value on it, so a car that new with a decent price would mean alot of money to repair, hence the cat d status, however if it was a car say worth a grand, a slight knock of the bumper could make that into a cat d, which may not be much of an issue, due to the value of the car and repair work.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…