S3 Rear brakes on 2wd?

did you try measuring the length of the carrier lug mounts that are part of the S3 set up and comparing them to your standard carriers, I presume the s3 lugs would be quite a bit longer from the mounting hole to the caliper to space it out farther to take into account the larger diamater disc compared with the standard one, just a thought...

micasb - That was indeed the story I was trying to demonstrate through the medium of emoticons!

locost47 - Yes, the difference in disc radius (i.e. 144mm to 172.5mm) should largely be taken up by the lugs on the carrier. More precisely, the distance from the mounting hole to the top of the pad inside the caliper. I don't have the two different calipers off the car to measure, but since the caliper/disc combo don't fit my hub carrier, measuring them won't help them fit. I have wondered about having the diameter of the discs machined down enough for them to fit inside the calipers.

I have wondered about having the diameter of the discs machined down enough for them to fit inside the calipers.

I wouldnt do that mate, you'd have to do this each time for new discs & also what about the pads as these are matched to the disc oem state, for me its creating more problems for now & future wise.

I still don't undrstand hoe on earth that doesn't fit...
The only way for that not to fit is if you had the front braking from a 1.9tdi, but for that you would have to get the 280mm braking...
This is becoming a bit of a mistery as it's the first time i know about a 2.0tdi having issues on assembling S3 braking :eek:

NHN - Correct, that's the downside that stopped chucking my discs to a machining friend of mine. No problem for me, but not great for the next owner. The pads would be okay though from what I remember.

micasb - Tell me about it!

The only way you can't retrofit the S3 brakes is if you had an A3 8P 1.9TDi... In this case the hubs are diff as wel as the OEM braking that uses 280mm instead of the 288mm on 2.0TDI...
On the 2.0TDi the S3 brakes are (for sure) a strait fit with no adaptations needed...
Done this conversion on severall 2.0 tdi here in Portugal...

Hope this could help.

Beste regards.

so on the 1.9 3 door what do i need to fit to upgrade to match the 345 s i have on front please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk