haldex unit

I'm planning on the uprated Haldex controller too, hopefully around feb-march time missing my 4wd!

what sort of money do these cost?? am i right in thinking you can have constant 50/50?

I have one, fitted after my original controller went pop over the summer. I'd been toying with the idea for a while but was put off by the cost. When the unit broke it was close to £1k for an OE one, and the upgraded one was only £675 so a no brainer.

No, it isn't permanent 50:50 or anything like that. It just has a different map to the haldex controller which means it diverts power to the rear wheels more quickly than the standard unit. So rather than wait for traction to be lost and then involve the Haldex clutch, it notices how the car is being driven and anticipates accordingly. So something along the lines of - accelerator is flat to the floor so the car is being driven hard, I'll divert some of the power to the back wheels now rather than wait until the front ones start to slip and then do it.

Basically, the uprated Haldex performance controller is made more active over the standard item, it does everything the OEM does, with the addition of locking the haldex 100% to give 50:50 drive when the throttle is at 50% or more. In the snow, you can just throw the S3 into an instant drift with this fitted, but you need to have the bottle to keep the throttle planted to control the drift. Lift off mid drift, you lose the drive to the rear wheels, unless you power back on.

Basically, the uprated Haldex performance controller is made more active over the standard item, it does everything the OEM does, with the addition of locking the haldex 100% to give 50:50 drive when the throttle is at 50% or more. In the snow, you can just throw the S3 into an instant drift with this fitted, but you need to have the bottle to keep the throttle planted to control the drift. Lift off mid drift, you lose the drive to the rear wheels, unless you power back on.
i like the sound of that :)

As Joe says above. The Haldex regulator is something COMPLETELY different though :)

i like the sound of that :)

Just to add though, there's very little benefit of the uprated Haldex in the dry, unless you are running BIG horsepower. The S3, in remapped form, just doesn't have enough torque to spin the wheels up in the dry, you can maybe carry a few more mph's into corners and have a small amount of adjustability with it fitted. And it's noticeable the rear end doesn't squat as much during stand still launches, and full throttle gear changes at high RPM, as the Haldex would have engaged 100% before the power is transmitted through the transmission.

Just my experience of the Haldex performance controller. It's an expensive 'upgrade' in my opinion, much more useful in wet/snowy conditions, but if you need to replace an faulty OEM Haldex controller, then why not?! :racer:

Do the haldex drivetrain get more wear because the HPA Haldex controller?

does the uprated haldex controller still release the drive to the rear under braking?

is it not posible to mash a GENII controller in there

Nope, totally different shape. You can get a racing Haldex controller for 8P's that keep the haldex locked during braking, not available for the 8L I'm afraid, I guess it's probably not possible with the 8L's setup.