Sorry, another oil thread.

2thumbs

Reaction score
I know it's been done to death, but I've done a search and nothing is answering my questions specifically.

I have everything sorted and waiting for a good full service. But the one thing I lack is oil.

Currently it's using 10w40 (I didn't put it in), but I'd like to put in fully synthetic when I do a change.

The car itself is a '99 A4 2.4 V6. I'd like to go for an oil that meets VW/Audi specifications. I know that the latest is 504.00 but that's 5w30...

Now is this too light a weight for the amount of miles the car has done? It's currently not using any oil as far as I know. Should I go up one and buy 5w40 instead? And if so which would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance!

I've been using fully synth 5/40 on my 2.8 and she runs like a dream! If its a high mileage engine and you think it could benefit with a clean, why not do a 50/50 diesel flush before you put the new oil in?....

Ollie

That's a possibility. Thanks for the input.

Sorry I forgot to add that it's done 154k.

Bought myself some Millers XFS 5w40 in the week, hoping to put it in tomorrow.

Got a couple more questions though (didn't think it was worth making another thread)

How much oil does the 2.4 30v take? Some places say 5 litres dead, others say 6...

Also, where is the oil filter mounted? I know the 1.8 20v's are at the back under the expansion tank, is it the same case here?

Many thanks!

filters at the front of the engine on craigs S4, i'd assume the 2.4 is layed out the same.

S4 takes 6 and a bit litres, i'd want to have at least 6 to hand when doing the change just incase.

S4's need more oil to cool the turbo/s IIRC. The only thing at the front of my engine is a cambelt cover, aux belt and a fan.

I know for a fact that the 2.8 30v uses 5 litres.

Well its on the left hand front corner of the motor on an S4, and afaik all the 30v blocks are more or less the same.

If the 2.8 uses 5 then yours will be the same.

Ok, thanks for the info!

Gonna tackle this tomorrow morning with a bit of luck.

yeah its underneath on the n/s/f corner of the engine.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…