Clutch grabs too high

jap_performance

Reaction score
hello there, i got my first 51 plate audi a4 2.0se this weekend which my brother bought for me, my problem is that is it normal for thr clutch to grab high on the pedal or is it me thinking the clutch is on its way out,
it dosent slip or any thing but it just grabs right at the top of the pedal which dosent seem right to me can it be adjusted?

thankyou for the help.

sounds like its on its way as a new clutch will bite at the bottom of the pedal, its not an urgent fix as yet but keep in mind that it might need doing in the next few months

thankyou for the help and advice, will keep in mind it needs changing soon.

A cable clutch will generally not be self adjusting and the bite position will vary with wear.

A b6 a4 has a hydraulic clutch which is self adjusting so the bite position does not vary with clutch wear.

its quite common tbh.

A lot of B5's have the same thing.

I think when the clutch gets old, the springs on the pressure plate get weak, and as a result require less pressure to open them. So while it IS a sign of wear, i wouldnt do anything about it until the clutch actually started slipping.

Our old B5 1.8T had its bite at the very top of the pedal when we baught it, and it had done 150k. Another 50k and a remap later the same clutch was still working perfectly, and when i pulled the engine at 200k the clutch was worn but still had a little bit of life left. Looked like the original unit too, had the Audi logo on the plate and cover, and there was nothing in the cars history of the clutch ever being changed.

Very true - I've just had my car in at Audi Nottingham and they pointed out that my clutch too is high - but it's not slipping. I would however shop around a little in advance as Audi wanted about £800 to replace!

sorry for the hyjak but what does it mean if when you release the clutch it judders, it only does it in second for around a second after a long run.

thanks alot guys for the help had me worried there i might need to replace the clucth, i will just have to put up with it untill clutch goes and then get it replaced.