1.8 turbo help

jay1601

Reaction score
i got a 1.8T today, i've done a search but can't find a quide how to fit a boost gauge. anyone know where i can get a quide ?

thanks for any help Jay

what sort of guage?
vac/pressure sensing lines/pipe are usually teed into the fuel pressure reg pipe.

i would like to fit a boost gauge. would like to know what sort of PSI its full obbst is before i start tuning.

thanks Jay

Use a t-piece to t'ee the vacuum pipe for the gauge from the fuel pressure regulator... if your gauge comes with the clear soft pvc type pipe to connect it, bin it and buy some silicon vacuum pipe instead... Forge or ebay for that...

Route it into the car either through the grommet thats to the right (as you look into the engine bay) of the pollen filter (under the scuttle cover on the right hand side) or by drilling a hole and using a grommet in the plastic cover for where the wiring comes into the engine bay under the scuttle cover on the drivers side... you will need to remove the wiper blades for this (13mm nut holding them on)

Fitment for the gauge is your personal choice, gauge pod screwed wherever you want to, vent pod that replaces the drivers side vent, pillar pod.... there isn't a specific A3 pillar pod that I have been able to find but there are universal ones that can be modded... there is a write up in my build thread (link in my sig) and there are a few other examples on what people have done... just search for 'boost gauge' and have a flick through... there are a few results to trawl through but then thats the fun....

<tuffty/>

cheers mate :)

sorry to be a pain you wouldn't have a pic where i should T into do you ?

thanks Jay

Use a t-piece to t'ee the vacuum pipe for the gauge from the fuel pressure regulator... if your gauge comes with the clear soft pvc type pipe to connect it, bin it and buy some silicon vacuum pipe instead... Forge or ebay for that...

Route it into the car either through the grommet thats to the right (as you look into the engine bay) of the pollen filter (under the scuttle cover on the right hand side) or by drilling a hole and using a grommet in the plastic cover for where the wiring comes into the engine bay under the scuttle cover on the drivers side... you will need to remove the wiper blades for this (13mm nut holding them on)

Fitment for the gauge is your personal choice, gauge pod screwed wherever you want to, vent pod that replaces the drivers side vent, pillar pod.... there isn't a specific A3 pillar pod that I have been able to find but there are universal ones that can be modded... there is a write up in my build thread (link in my sig) and there are a few other examples on what people have done... just search for 'boost gauge' and have a flick through... there are a few results to trawl through but then thats the fun....

<tuffty/>[/QUOTE
wat about wire in I've jus got 3 wires a red orange an black ?

black will be earth
red will be power source
orange will be prob be for a dimmer (guessing its a mechanical gauge)

Just after some little help,

Ive looked everywhere for an exact picture of where to run my boost gauge piping to the front left under the scuttle panel. I have seen the black box with lots of wiring and a single wire which i think is the bonnet catch cable. Where do i drill a hole? it seems risky putting one next to the bonnet catch because the way the water would flow off.

Sorry for such a crap question, but its annoying me where to put it and don't want to take it to a garage now i have got this far.

Cheers,

J

I just drilled a hole very gently about a inch up from the bottom left (looking from the bumper towards the scuttle) and ran it through there, done it about 6 months ago and never had any issues with water getting through the hole, keep meaning to get some sealant on it just in case, but just haven't got around to it yet. I did use a 5.5mm drill for 6mm od hose though so it was quite a tight fit to pull it through.

If you are nice and gentle with the drill you should be able to see a bit of light from inside the car to make sure you don't have any issues with drilling through cables inside the car.

thanks Lavis for your quick reply,

So just to make sure, you drilled the hole next to where the other cable (bonnet cable) not higher up. This then came straight into the air duct in the car?

cheers,

j

no it didn't go straight into the air duct, i had to take the bottom part of my dash off and feed it in through a hole in the side of the duct.
just googled a picture and found this

5990476837_66bc2217ea.jpg

WHOOPS! did not know that was there, i thought it was a straight through pannel to inside the car. good thing im not a sparky! but i remembered i drilled the hole to the top left of the box (remember thinking it would be less likely to be under water up there) so must have missed any wires. going to have to strip it down next week just to make sure. obviously didn't do enough research on this one!

i've actually drilled straight through that connector box. definitely going to seal it up now

thanks lavis and i hope it all okay.

Has anyone else done this or something else? drilling on the left hand side of the box?

cheers,

j