Help had my A3 1.8 t 2 days window problems

hoban81

Reaction score
Hello all bought my 2001 A3 1.8 T in black on sat, fair milage full service history.

Firstly my passenger front window will not work, it is shut but will not go down.

Secondly the idle is under 1000rpm feels like it is going to stall, would changing the spark plugs correct this or is it the coils. If it is the coils is it expensive.

Any advice will be greatly welcomed.

Cheers

Rich :confused:

Not sure about your window, but - if your cars feels like it's being hit by high winds when at idel (for example, sat on your drive) but still drives ok then there is a high chance it will be a failed crankcase breather valve - if you get your fault codes read and they come back with several codes, all relating to boost and leaks then this will be the cause 9 out of 10 times. Lets just say I have "been there, done that".

Before you worry though, this is a job you can do yourself and the valve, from Audi, will set you back less than £5!! If you need to know more I can copy and paste an old thread of mine with the codes, pictures and part numbers with pleasure. I did mine recently, it took 45minutes and resolved the ideling immediately.

The thread would be great. The car drives fine I did start it this morning and it was perfect while sorting the radio out then after 30 secs it stalled.

Cheers for the info mate

I can't promise this is the problem as mine never stalled?? but still worth looking at just in case:

.....................................................................................

Hi I have a missfire from my car at Idle. When in motion all seems okay but when at idle the car shakes around (like the wind is hitting it) and the exhaust garbles along with the missfire.

It is stage one tuned with a Milltek Cat Back system, remap and carbonio. I've had the throttle body cleaned and reset and recently changed the diverter valve at the top of the engine due to the old one leaking/hissing.

The car has been in today and been serviced along with new plugs. The fault codes have been read and are as follows:

18062 – Please check DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster
P1654 – 004 – No signal / communication – Intermittent

(If it helps I recently took the ECU Fuse out by mistake!)

17544 Fuel Trim BANK 1 (Add) System too lean
P1136 – 001 – UPPER LIMIT EXCEEDED – MIL ON

16891 – IDLE CONTROL SYSTEM RPM – HIGHER THAN EXPECTED
P0507 – 001 – UPPER LIMIT EXCEEDED – INTERMITTENT

17705 – PRESSURE DROP BETWEEN TURBO AND THROTTLE VALVE (CHECK D.V.!)
P1297 – 001 – UPPER LIMIT EXCEEDED

16684 – RANDOM/MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISSFIRE DETECTED
P03000 – 008 – IMPLAUSABLE SIGNAL

16685 – CYLINDER 1 – MISSFIRE DETECTED
P0301 – 008 – IMPLAUSABLE SIGNAL

16686 – CYLINDER 2 – MISSFIRE DETECTED
P0302 – 008 – IMPLAISABLE SIGNAL

Also, the CAT does appear to glow quite a bit!

I only use 99ron super unleaded fuel.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome!

++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello my friend,

You have the classic crankcase breather valve problem.

Its a valve that is inside a T piece pipe near your oil filter/under manifold

Basically your car is running lean at idle when you stop, a valve doesnt close and your engine is flooded with air, and not enough fuel, hence jerking, also because of this problem it will have broken your Pressure regulating valve (PRV) black disc at the back of the engine (£25) that is causing the pressure drop between the turbo and throttle valve, I went through 3 or 4 of these whilst I had the problem

OEM%20VW%20%252F%20Audi%20Breather%20Valve%20(PCV%20Valve)%2019mm.jpg

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Cran..._Valve/ES5957/

Crankcase%203-Way%20Valve%20Housing.jpg

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Cran...alve/ES258895/

Do a search on crankcase breather valve and you will find a thread I made a while back

Took me over 6 months and £600 to fix it, if I had known the fault straight away looking at £50 all in, aslong as you dont break any of the brittle rubber pipes attached to the breather valve, might be an idea to change them aswell

Audi charged me £280 robbing feckers

PRV £25
Breather valve £20
New clips etc etc £5

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Update - SORTED!!!

Big shout to Balckpool1974 - without you I would not have solved this, nor would my garage and nor would my wallet!

I located the valve (hidden inside the t-junction pipe beneath the intake manifold) and after some effort getting between al the other hoses and pipes (thank god I have skinny wrist's!) I manage to remove the old one and fit the new one. The car now runs as though it is brand new and is certainly a lot quicker!

The old one had broken. The flap inside had collapsed and basically remained open at all times from when I can see. I took a photo of the old and new next to each other to help anyone else in the future as below.

If you decide to do this repair yourself the Part Number is 035 103 245 G and is currently £6.70 + VAT. If you are off a big build I will say that there is not much room to do this job - you really have to get between a lot of pipes and hoses all very close together in a small space without much sight of the object - you can remove the other hoses but this will all take a long time. Make sure you allow your engine a few hours to cool down as well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY HELP IDENTIFYING THE LOCATION OF THE VALVE!!

Thant's great thanks so much, will have a look tomorrow and will let you know.

Regards

All done steady idle now cheers for your help mate.

Karma is on its way