100W 12V bulbs in my A3? Would they be fine?

sampsonzak

Reaction score
Hi,

I previously had 2x 55W 12V bulbs in my 2009 Sportback A3. Earlier yesterday, one of them went for whatever reason. They have been in there a while and were overall decent bulbs.

Today, I have no other 55W 12V bulb to replace it however I do have 2x 100W 12V bulbs which are the same H7 bulbs (Not HID's or anything, just standard halogen).

I've looked around and apparently using 100W can burn out the circuit and all sorts of things - has anyone here got 100W bulbs in their standard headlight unit (halogen only), not HID's or anything? My A3 has the DRL's as standard but they are yellow and not the new LED ones.

Please let me know if this is a bad choice or not?

Many thanks!

the only touble youll come across is people flashing you thinking youve got main beems on

the only touble youll come across is people flashing you thinking youve got main beems on
I would aim the headlights as down to the floor as possible (With the little adjuster next to the headlights) - so this wouldn't really be a problem - It's just I've read things about how it can be too much wattage for the ampage? I don't know electricals so therefore don't have a clue on this?

Would like some more response or if possible any experience of someone using 100w bulbs?

Trust me mate ive used 100w before, it dont matter where you set the level theyll be too bright for both on coming and when behind people as it dazzles there rear vier mirror. Youll not have any electronic problems , aslong as inside of youre casing is clean as they get super hot so any bits of crap theyll burn them

Doubling the wattage (power) of your bulb will double the amount of current in the wires supplying them. This would be unlikely to burn them out but may cause them to become hotter and could fail them over time. It could cause the related fuse to blow, not really worth the hassle, run on one headlight and replace with the correct one which are readily available.

You are better off fitting the best standard bulbs you can such as osram nightbreaker plus. The 100w bulbs are likely to fry the switch gear or relays with the extra current twice the current gives you 4 times the heat

i got 100W bulbs and they were smoking inside the headlight, also generating immense ammounts of heat... i replaced them with 55w as soon as it was possible. Dont risk it.

Try our site sponsor @t8ups he can sort you out for any bulbs you need.

I agree with Sandra, I would try @t8ups for bulbs, I recently got 2 set from him and they give off a nice white light and also reasonably priced too.

Just dont get the 100W and ul be fine. I got all mines from T8ups too. Great Customer service

What about a HID kit? I've seen one on this forum advertised - WellDoneHID - Would the 6000k have no problems if I installed it? Looks like a better investment for only £50 or so - Give off more light compared to any halogen bulb too apparently!

Dont fit a hid kit if you have normal reflector headlights the beam pattern is useless and you will just dazzle everybody. Hids with projector lights is OK
You cam install projectors in a reflector headlight