1.9tdi thermostat removal technique

HelenB

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Sorry I know this has been covered a lot but can someone who has changed the thermostat on an AVB 100 1.9tdi please tell me : can I just remove the small black plastic housing (two nuts) to replace the thermostat or do I need to remove the whole metal housing? I'm guessing if it's only the black plastic section to remove, all I need is a thermostat and one rubber o ring. I'd rather not disturb the whole metal housing if I can help it as that has more hoses attached and another rubber seal to disturb.

This is the type of housing I have with plastic piece and metal piece :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-...340c626fbb:g:wMgAAOSw7ytc~PUj&redirect=mobile

Just the black bit, if it hasnt been changed before though, dont be suprised if the plastic has gone brittle and breaks when you try to remove it.

On that's great news. Thought there was maybe a clearance issue or something to get thermostat out and back in if just removing black housing. Couldn't find a guide for this engine. I can always order a black piece if it breaks, I've seen them sold seperately.
Thanks!

Well I've removed the black housing and...it's empty! Does this mean someone has removed the thermostat at some point, or am I looking in the wrong place? I'm awaiting delivery of my new thermostat.

Sorted, I found the thermostat near the alternator..d'oh! It's because places selling the other flange/housing called it the thermostat housing and it's not. No harm done.