1.9tdi 130 - Cam Belt

Gooner

Reaction score
Hi All

Ive recently purchased a 2002 A4 1.9tdi 130 sport which im loving. Im doing roughly 400 miles per week, including 2 journeys from bristol to plymouth at 125 miles a go. With all these motorway miles im thinking of having the cambelt changed just in case. What sort of mileage do you guys have it replaced at ? The book is telling me 80k, im currently on 61k.

Cheers

I concur with Andy on this.

I tend to advice getting timing belts and tensioners / water pumps replaced at least 10,000 miles before their due time. Failures before the prescribed times are not common, but not unheard of.

And, I would NOT fit aftermarket parts, way too critical, and failure could be catastrophic.

Thanks guys....best get it booked in this weekend then ! Does anyone know how much the dealer is likely to charge ?

Thanks

This is a cut/paste from an old thread I contributed to:

Fontains... £459 for the cambelt, £317 for the AVS2 and about £40 for the water pump. (Total £816)

At this point, I was surprised. If not slightly disappointed.

Stansted Audi... £390 for the cambelt, £249 for the AVS2 and about the same for the water pump. (Total £679)

At this point, even more surprised that the stealers were quite a bit less.

Rang around and a bit of searching on the internet. Came across "Volkswagen Techniker" near Chelmsford, about 4 miles from my house. Gave em a ring and they came back with...

£260 for cambelt
£220 for AVS2
£35 for the water pump
[also £37 for a brake fluid replacement]

Hope this helps to get a ball park figure.

I'm watching this one with much interest as my motor went over 119,500 on the way to work this morning! Just one question (and please pardon my ignorance) but what is AVS2? :uhm:

Cheers

Richard

Stafford Audi £275 - search for ebay listing 380076390369

The Audi Variable Service... basically, the long life services, normally anything between 16-20k per service.

There are 2 types, AVS1 and AVS2. One is minor (oil/filters etc), one is slightly more. I always get mixed up which is which... so for the sake of the Wrong-Fact-Nazis, I'll say "I dunno"...!!