1.8T Oil Pressure Riddle

Potato

Reaction score
Bit of background on the car. I managed to get hold of a 1999 A4 T-Sport for very little money. It was a work colleagues and I'd already done a couple of jobs on it so I know the history of it. It's immaculate and has 2 previous owners with a comprehensive service history.

It started getting very tappy and then started showing low oil pressure warning light. He couldn't afford a garage to do the work and couldn't do it himself either so he wanted rid. The waterpump was also knackered. I did all the work over a period of months and managed to get the parts relatively cheap. It's a 1.8T APU with 135k on the clock

I changed -

Tappets, Cam Chain & tensioner, Cambelt, Waterpump and auxiliary belts. I dropped the sump and found the pickup pipe to blocked so replaced the oil pump. I used a VW transporter oil filter and filled it up with 5w30 fully synthetic Fuchs oil.

All was good. Engine is nice and quiet and it's driving lovely. Sailed through the MOT. Plenty of power etc. Driving it daily for over a week and yesterday........oil pressure light startes to come on again. I'm gonna get round to testing the pressure but just picking brains to see what folks on here think it could be?

The engine sounds nice and quiet. Could it need thicker oil due to age/mileage? Is the larger filter a possible cause? It triggers once the oil gets to around 80 degrees but could it be the pressure switch? Any advice would massively appreciated. I'll be testing the oil pressure once weather permits.

Could be the oil pressure switch but could well be excess wear in the big end shells. As you found the oil pick up blocked this would have very much limited oil flow to all parts of the engine. It doesn't take long for significant damage to occur. I would suspect that if you pulled the big end shells you would find wear in them and also potentially wear in the pump itself.
Checking the oil pressure would be the first thing to do. Have a look at this post which is about the most comprehensive place for info on these issues.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...essure-Survival-Guide-and-troubleshooting-DIY
I wouldn't use a 5w/30 oil in your case a 10W/40 may help a little.