03 1.9 Tdi turbo replacment

fmc

Reaction score
Hi chaps
Have replaced my turbo as it was cutting off after 80 and smoking
The replacement turbo we fitted doesn't seem to want to boost till 3000+ RPM...

Any ideas as to why?

Check vac lines first, and make sure there all in correct places

Check the actuator is set right,

Vagcom it, see if it throws up any map, maf, egr solenoid or charge boost solenoid codes.

That's pretty much it mate, you mustn't have any boost leaks if your getting boost, I think it will be your actuator tbh, and may need turning down to bring on the boost sooner

Thanks for that. Any instructions on how to time the actuator?

Haven't a clue mate, if you still have the old turbo with actuator on it, measure the treads and adjust yours the same. If not you could adjust it down a tiny bit, take it for a spin and see when the boost comes on. Although you do this at your own risk, as I'm not a mechanic and don't take responsibility for it.
But it's something to defiantly look at.
If still vagcom it first though to help pin point the fault.
Could be just a dodgy sensor as the new turbo maybe running more boost... Wait for adams24 to pop up or deano they will probably know

Interesting....a question if I may?

I feel the boost comes on quite late (2000 rpm) on my 1.9, turbo replaced in Jan by a small independent garage. Could it be it was never adjusted when fitted at the garage? Is there any benefit/consequences in me adjusting it so boost comes on earlier? My Golf Mk4 with the same engine used to pickup about 1700-1800 rpm....and even the old turbo on my A4 used to come on quicker I'm sure.

Rob

Checked the rod against old turbo and they are fine
Today it boosted low down but no top end power
Soon as you get to 70 it goes limp

If you slowed down and then accelerated, was the power pick up still gone. If so it has over boosted and protected itself. Could have stuck/soothed vanes in the turbo of a faulty N75

Mine has over boosted a couple of times with no errors recorded when getting on power really quick in the high temps we have had recently due to sticking vanes.

Get it scanned mate
Paul scanned mine today and turned out it was charge pressure solenoid (£40)

And my would accelerate then drop all power and stay at the same speed

hi pal, i recently replaced my turbo as i blew it up, i ended up fitting a new cartridge but after rebuilding and running it had a serious lack of instant boost low down than would kick in, i found adjusted the actuator didnt do that much but the little stop screw made the massive difference but you have to screw it carefully as to not damage the turbo veins aparantly.
mines spot on now but take a look at my other posts as theres a pick of the tiny screw that you can ajust but i'd only do this if your certain its not a fault first with a sensor or sticking veins etc