Time for a build thread....big turbo

Looks like I've been lazy.....

A few things for the New Year.

1.Custom 90mm exhaust from BCS
Current one I'm pretty sure has had it,and it can't cope with full power anyway.
Then we can run full boost. :yahoo:

2.Return to Storm for a bit of ECU work.
Andy says we can get a better torque spread from the engine,and I want a few of the settings a bit more accessible,maybe from the steering wheel.

Need also to do something about the ESP....it still interferes like crazy with the front diff,and means I run it switched off to avoid the understeer it causes.

3.Maybe...maybe have another think about the DSG.

Reactions: grainqey, LiamS3, shadow1993 and 2 others
Do the DSG conversion... You want regret it

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
Hmmm. While you're at it. Why not upgrade to a 5 pot 2.5tfsi...
That would be awesome....

Reactions: S3Alex
Looks like I've been lazy.....

A few things for the New Year.

1.Custom 90mm exhaust from BCS
Current one I'm pretty sure has had it,and it can't cope with full power anyway.
Then we can run full boost. :yahoo:

2.Return to Storm for a bit of ECU work.
Andy says we can get a better torque spread from the engine,and I want a few of the settings a bit more accessible,maybe from the steering wheel.

Need also to do something about the ESP....it still interferes like crazy with the front diff,and means I run it switched off to avoid the understeer it causes.

3.Maybe...maybe have another think about the DSG.
Think your be made up with the bcs

Hmmm. While you're at it. Why not upgrade to a 5 pot 2.5tfsi...
That would be awesome....

It wouldn't offer me much more power or torque....but a lot more expense!

Think your be made up with the bcs

It needs this doing.....the old one was apparently strangling things on the 600bhp+ runs.

Reactions: Smirky
600+ lol what do you think it will actually run ??

Well....it did over 600 on the dyno runs for setting up the ECU at 2.1bar.

That's without anything fancy on the ignition or valve timing,and with the old exhaust,and with the WMI not properly set up either.
So...it might do a bit more...

Seriously,though I'd be happier with maybe a wider torque range.

Reactions: grainqey
Well....it did over 600 on the dyno runs for setting up the ECU at 2.1bar.

That's without anything fancy on the ignition or valve timing,and with the old exhaust,and with the WMI not properly set up either.
So...it might do a bit more...

Seriously,though I'd be happier with maybe a wider torque range.
When does peak torque come in ?

That's impressive ,7500 rev limiter ? Insane numbers lol

Don't forget the valvetrain has also been upgraded with lighter,tougher valves and springs.
Without that lot it wouldn't be such a good idea!

Reactions: Smirky
Alex, what do you run the car at for a 'safe' daily drive, something around the 500bhp mark?

Also, who rebuilt your gearbox?

Alex, what do you run the car at for a 'safe' daily drive, something around the 500bhp mark?

Also, who rebuilt your gearbox?

No.....absolutely not. :racer:

OK,what I have is a variety of boost settings,so if the road conditions are horrible I can back it off to 1.2bar,and aside from lacking power,it feels just fine,but for everyday use,it runs 1.9bar,or 540bhp.

AMDTuning have some guys in Kent who rebuilt the box for me.....uprated bearings,new synchros and selectors.
The cogs etc were in very good condition.

Several thousand miles post rebuild,when the diff was being swapped.

Reactions: grainqey and Sayam
So what power do you run when you wind it back to 1.2bar?

Oh, I want mine looking at but Kent is too far lol!

Actually I don't know.....it feels like around high 300s,but obviously nowhere near as aggressive in delivery as the 1.9bar setting.

At 1.2bar it comes on boost in a much more relaxed sort of fashion,and doesn't pull anywhere near as hard.......at 1.9bar it's like a different car once it hits 4000rpm,and just picks up speed so much faster.

Reactions: Sayam

Alex, are you still running with TC or has this been disabled? I've had mine disabled and the car now has is happier but I still have ESP enabled.

Alex, are you still running with TC or has this been disabled? I've had mine disabled and the car now has is happier but I still have ESP enabled.

It's with the TC and ESP off.

I need to see what Storm can do to get rid of the ESP,as it clearly fights with the front diff when it's enabled.
It's weird.....with it on,the car will understeer heavily cornering on a wet road,whereas if it's switched out,the car simply turns in as it should.

It's definitely got a lot to do with the Quaife diff being there....

Alex, you should do passanger drives to recoup some of the cost! I'd defo pay for a passanger ride in your car :D :D aslong as you are running full boost :D

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex

Bar-tek do an uprated box if it's screwed how the price compares to having your own box uprated I don't no :s

Bar-tek do an uprated box if it's screwed how the price compares to having your own box uprated I don't no :s

I saw that.

They do one with uprated internals,which actually sounds very similar to mine,although mine was done for around £800,and they also sell something that looks remarkably similar to the SQS dog box at around £3.5k.

For that money I could retrofit a DSG.

As long as it'll work technically not cry at the first sight of the torque your engine produces, that would be an awesome upgrade!

Storm have already done this with an RS and the Syvecs is already set up for running a DSG.

DSG with the Dodson or SSP Clutchpack upgrade would be fine!

This is a monster build Alex, we need to get the cars at Pod or a big meet one day... Would love to see your beast in person!

DSG with the Dodson or SSP Clutchpack upgrade would be fine!

This is a monster build Alex, we need to get the cars at Pod or a big meet one day... Would love to see your beast in person!

If I do this I'd probably look at the DSG-Dokters products as well as what we have locally.

Storm recommended the 7 speed box as being the toughest currently and the ECU is already capable of running it so that at least is a real head start.

Need the exhaust first!

Reactions: LiamS3
Happy to wait

I need to fit it into a pretty cramped work schedule.
Yeah I was happy to wait normally a good sign there busy ,
Yes I can imagine your rather busy

I cannot describe how nasty it is to drain and clean a catch can.

It's one of my pet hates...500mls of something that looks like crude oil and stays with you for hours...anyhow,done for another couple of months.

Reactions: grainqey, Jake 61 and Smirky
Alex do you have Insta or Facebook etc with a load of pic's of your S3/Build..

As much as I really want to read it I cant be ***** going through 48 pages!! Lol.

Alex do you have Insta or Facebook etc with a load of pic's of your S3/Build..

As much as I really want to read it I cant be ***** going through 48 pages!! Lol.

Afraid not......the real meat of the build is the the last 20 pages!
If you have any questions,just ask here and I'll answer pretty quickly usually.

Reactions: Craig-P
I would love too but I just cant be bothered with the X number of pages of chit chat..

I like these thing's that are just the OP posting (pic's/description's) about the build with a seprate thread for all the chat.

I would love too but I just cant be bothered with the X number of pages of chit chat..

I like these thing's that are just the OP posting (pic's/description's) about the build with a seprate thread for all the chat.

When I get the time maybe....
Work is pretty frantic right now.

Hey, Dont worry about it Alex I totally understand I'm the same rarely get 5 mins to myself atm..

I certainly dont expect you to do it.

Joining the spec club today

Attachments

• IMAG0337.jpg
    IMAG0337.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 213
Let's hope I haven't done you wrong!

I think you'll be surprised by how easy it is on the leg...

****** hope so maybe u just have legs like arnie lol I'm expecting it to be heavier but hoping it's not brutal