Time for a build thread....big turbo

Thanks to syvecs?

Pretty much yes...

It's been set up with LC to hold at 4000rpm prior to dropping the clutch,which is below peak torque,to avoid wrecking the transmission,and 2 stage ALS,both pretty mild,and to be honest,I don't use either.

LC is well capable of wrecking these gearboxes if used aggressively,and Owen Developments don't recommend ALS on their turbos,even though the ECU will limit and cut ALS if it detects any temps etc outside its preset limits.

One other thing that it does really well is TC.....miles beyond Audi's version.

Reactions: grainqey
I have to say, my dsg map added LC and I've used it all of about 3 times - all of which were a waste of time haha! It doesn't even control the launch, instead just spinning the wheels like billyo!

Syvecs support left foot braking?
Yeah lc is not that handy but als and lfb can come handy in a drag or just shaming someone on the road ;)

I woudnt fancy launching with 540ft lbs of torque something would break rather quickly,
I try not to launch mine and im only running 370!

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
Yeah lc is not that handy but als and lfb can come handy in a drag or just shaming someone on the road ;)
Someone one like Rick at unicorn can map flat shifting into your car but again that's pretty brutal on your gearbox

Reactions: S3Alex

I don't see why it couldn't.

It's not been developed for the TFSi but has been for other applications.
What spec is your car,and have you used either Syvecs,or ALS previously?

My own take on ALS is that it's a bit of a double edged sword.

My car right now is a big "shame on me" LOL

my plan in the next months is to get an A3 2.0TSI DSG or MK6 GTI and to go with the tte420 setup.

My car right now is a big "shame on me" LOL

my plan in the next months is to get an A3 2.0TSI DSG or MK6 GTI and to go with the tte420 setup.

Trust me.....I have driven far worse than you know!

The TTE420,I think,is one of the best current setups you can buy,and Simon @ TTE I know and trust,and would vouch for to anyone.

I've had a full blown ALS on one of my previous cars,and it cuts both ways.....you get minimised lag,but you also get raised EGTs,turbo shaft failures,and a moderate degree of push going into a corner off throttle.
If you can achieve better throttle response by other means,it's worth it any day.

My current M-Spec 3582 will spool at around the same point as my previous 3076,thanks to it's upgrades,and the way the car is mapped.
IMHO,a clever ECU is worth it's weight in gold,although this thing is pretty expensive,it just does so much more for those who want a lot more from the car.

DSG in either DQ250 or 500 form is a good start,and both have a wide range of clutch packs to suit most needs now,plus the bonus for me is the ECU was developed to run the DSG,and can also offer torque by gear,and torque ramping to preserve the box.

Yeah ive heard alot of good things about tte and simon.
Im not planing to go beyond tte420, and want to stay with stock internals (maybe just springs).
The DQ250 works amazing with the tte420 with a good tcu update, a clutch pack will be good but not mandatory.
The syvecs is amazing, i know a local guy here that has the syvecs in his leon cupra with about 650BHP, he have tryed every map out there until He gave up and order the syvecs.
Now he is trying to get a local tuner that will be able to tune the syvecs.
He is the first one over here with syvecs, so its a problem.
He been through a Very expensive project, here is the latest picture under the bonnet ;)
mm2yjt4ddmlu.jpg

Reactions: S3Alex and grainqey
Very nice.

That looks like an HEP manifold.

You've probably seen mine from the pics on this thread,but I chose a Boulekos manifold instead,although I don't think there's anything to choose between those 2 except availability in your country.

Syvecs themselves might be able to help,and it's possible that remote uploads could be done via the Ethernet port,as i know that can be done with mine.
There are always big problems being the first to do something,unless you're working with the manufacturer.
Mine was the first UK TFSi S3 with a Syvecs ECU,so it was programmed by Storm and Syvecs jointly.

He said that they was very supportive and helpful, i guess he will be ready for the next drag in the next month.
I see you didnt got the plasma coils hype, i think its not worth it too.

He said that they was very supportive and helpful, i guess he will be ready for the next drag in the next month.
I see you didnt got the plasma coils hype, i think its not worth it too.

Total waste of money for a few bhp at best at the top end if you look at their data.

Reactions: Smirky and grainqey
I purchased an A3 back in December, already with some goodies. Read through this entire thread and definitely have some direction for my build! Unfortunately will take me a while to put everything together though. But I thank you for all your work and dedication!

Questions: Should I leave compression ratio of piston up to my tuner?
I'm going with a GTX2976R as ATP makes a nice kit for it - Will I be fine with S3 injectors and is something like the USP drop in fuel pump needed?
Is the valvetrain update worth it? Was thinking full Ferrea valves and springs etc.
Staying away from the cams, thanks for being the guinea pig for that!

Hi there.....thanks,it's taken a while.

OK....most recommend leaving the CR as stock,but mine is a bit lower at 9.2:1,on Wossner pistons.

The APR kit uses a GTX2867,and is an excellent kit,if a bit pricey,but you get the whole lot,with all the parts.
I'd be a little less keen on the ATP kit now,as I think the APR is better,although I previously ran an ATP kit on mine.
Things have moved on,and the best currently is the Nortech,but it's expensive.
You may be OK on stock injectors and LPFP,although you may not,and to be honest,I would leave that to your tuner as there are some variations between individual cars,as to how far the stock bits will go.

Valvetrain is only really worth it with a big turbo,to use higher limits,and I was fine using the stock valves with a 3076.
You only need the extra 500-1000rpm with something big.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I should mention I am in the states so things will be slightly different for me.

APR kit is way too much. I'll be working with force fed engineering in NY most likely. They actually recommended going a precision 5858 over a gt30 but I think a gtx might be the best option. They can also do custom work in terms of manifold and exhaust although I already have an APR system.

I've still read that s3 injectors are needed for anything bigger than a k04 but I'll talk more with my tuner about these things!

Ahhh,I understand.

Go with your local guys.....on the plus side,you have companies like USP Motorsports and Integrated Engineering,both of whom have some excellent products.

IE make a very good turbo kit which might be worth checking out.

There are some S3 pattern injectors that will run a lot more power.....check out Bar-Tek if you need something like that,although the RS4 injectors are the other choice,but they will smoke if not mapped correctly.

Reactions: Smirky
Was just about to say bar-tek do some big injectors with perfect spray pattern (apparently)
Apr rate standard s3 injectors to 500hp extreme situations which prob means running at 99.9% capacity which is never good

Yes I forgot to mention I basically have every possible part I would need picked out on USPs website alone. If I can keep the stock lpfp, valves and injectors that would cut a lot of cost. They have the ATP turbo kit with manifold oil lines elbow and high flow out. I'm considering the IE valve cover catch can and intake manifold as well for sure.

Take a look also at the IE turbo kit.

It's well made and in combination with their other parts,you'd get a good setup.

As you can see from the post above,I have their cam cover and catch can system on my car.

Yes they look beautiful! Are you referring to the IE450t kit?

Yes they look beautiful! Are you referring to the IE450t kit?

Yes,that's the one.

I've bought quite a lot of parts from them,including the valvetrain for my car,and the quality of their CNC stuff is excellent.

It seems great but I'd have to sell of the parts I have. I already have SPM mounts, and APR Intercooler, hpfp, downpipe and cat back and intake. Interesting how it breaks 400 horse while keeping under 250 torque. Let me get with my guys and see if a build based of the EFR would be good with what I have. Sounds like a good kit if I was stock!

Got it...yes,if you already have all the other parts,it makes sense to keep what you can.

That kit,like the 28/29 turbos will limit torque by running a smaller turbo etc.
On a 3582,mine produces around 550lbs at 1.9bar.

Is the ie kit available over here Alex or is it mail order from America jobby ?

Is the ie kit available over here Alex or is it mail order from America jobby ?

Mail order from the US.....they're very efficient,and will help you with ordering.

Reactions: Smirky
Right but I figure a gtx29 can still push 400-440 tq to the crank. That needs a bottom end build so I'm surprised the EFR can keep it so low

Mail order from the US.....they're very efficient,and will help you with ordering.
All the good stuff is in America ! Saying that bar-tek stock I.e products wonder if they have it

All the good stuff is in America ! Saying that bar-tek stock I.e products wonder if they have it

Possibly.
The only other thing I'd say is to check the prices...I bought direct as there was little if any price difference.

Send me money and a plane ticket and.I'll be Santa Claus this year! :D

Reactions: grainqey, S., Smirky and 1 other person
Also has anyone been in a car with an EFR turbo? Heavily considering a EFR7163 instead of a GTX29/3076

Possibly.
The only other thing I'd say is to check the prices...I bought direct as there was little if any price difference.
The only thing that may be of benefit if bar-tek stock it is no import duty ,
Couldn't see it on the site but did come across I.e rods that look the business !

Also has anyone been in a car with an EFR turbo? Heavily considering a EFR7163 instead of a GTX29/3076

Sorry.
Garrett only here.

Maybe make a separate thread or ask in the 8L forum.

Will do another check with my tuner. There's too many piston options for me to figure out on my own, gotta start narrowing this down

I think that's a good plan.

Sit down and talk about your maximum requirements and what you want right now and decide how to fit both.

Mine was built in stages and luckily with this engine you can easily do that as funds or time become available.

I hadn't thought of 600bhp initially but had built the engine up to a point where we were sure it could do that if I felt like doing it.

Only when the Syvecs came on the scene was that really possible.

Their units seem crazy. With APR stage 2 software I put down 225hp at the wheels...I'd like to get that up to the 400 range at a maximum, but with the potential for future upgrades. I figure if I can put down 360-400 at the wheels I'll be satisfied for quite a while, and as long as I build the engine right, it'll really just require drop in mods (think injectors, lpfp etc.), new turbo and tune. Only want to build the engine once

Their units seem crazy. With APR stage 2 software I put down 225hp at the wheels...I'd like to get that up to the 400 range at a maximum, but with the potential for future upgrades. I figure if I can put down 360-400 at the wheels I'll be satisfied for quite a while, and as long as I build the engine right, it'll really just require drop in mods (think injectors, lpfp etc.), new turbo and tune. Only want to build the engine once

Exactly what I wanted to do.

I'd had engines on previous cars rebuilt to rally or GpA spec,and never had to do a thing after that,and I wanted something similar in terms of build strength.

We started off with the ATP kit and a GT3071,running that for a couple of yrs before swapping to a GTX3076,and building the bottom of the engine,and then the last step,which was building the top end,and going for the largest turbo that would physically fit.

The ECU change meant it could do things that weren't possible on the stock ECU,and actually then reach the potential of the other parts.

That Syvecs unit does seem really awesome, although crazy expensive. I'd rather first get some other nice odds and ends like S3/RS3 recaros, Osir wide fenders etc. etc. However I also feel a GT35 or bigger is too large for me. I want to upgrade the turbo once and that's it. Maybe push more power out of it here and there. At that point I'd rather just get a different car; ideally in the future, a B9 S4 because of the virtual cockpit and amazing tuning potential as a modern day B5.

That Syvecs unit does seem really awesome, although crazy expensive. I'd rather first get some other nice odds and ends like S3/RS3 recaros, Osir wide fenders etc. etc. However I also feel a GT35 or bigger is too large for me. I want to upgrade the turbo once and that's it. Maybe push more power out of it here and there. At that point I'd rather just get a different car; ideally in the future, a B9 S4 because of the virtual cockpit and amazing tuning potential as a modern day B5.

It is very expensive.....

You're already coming to a lot of good decisions about where you want to go with the car,and that really is half the battle.
My problem has always been not knowing when to stop.