8V VCDS Mods

1) No matter what I do I cannot get the Rain Closing Menu to display. I tried an MMI reset with the menu + ok + top right selection button's, ignition on / off, nothing. In Fact there are a few menus I cannot seem to activate, including MMI Oil Level and Windows, which is strange as Menu's like Driving School, Exterior Lighting and Wipers (Rain Sensor On and Off) show up as soon as they are coded. Only TPMS needed the MMI reset so far.

What is the driving school menu?

Not tested it fully yet but it puts a digital speedo and indicator direction arrows up on the MMI screen. Not sure how configurable it is, if at all, for the moment.

The Rain Closing sunroof is the last bastion of coding for me as well DJAlix. VCDS 15.3 Beta didn't make any difference either :(
As you said, the windows work fine (I don't even need to wait 2 minutes, they go up straight after arming if the rain sensor is agitated).

By the way, save yourself the hassle of drying your windscreen each time you test this mod - just tapping the rain sensor with your finger will activate a "rain" response.

The Rain Closing sunroof is the last bastion of coding for me as well DJAlix. VCDS 15.3 Beta didn't make any difference either :(
As you said, the windows work fine (I don't even need to wait 2 minutes, they go up straight after arming if the rain sensor is agitated).

By the way, save yourself the hassle of drying your windscreen each time you test this mod - just tapping the rain sensor with your finger will activate a "rain" response.

Damn :(

Did you manage to get the Rain Closing Menu to pop in the MMI?

No, I've tried different combinations of the set up procedure (as recommended in another forum), Menu first, Rain Closing Active, Permanent Setting but nothing seems to bring the menu up. I initially thought it was because my comfort closing was set to sunroof only, but have tried front windows only, back windows only, all windows no sunroof, all windows and sunroof...you get my drift lol!

Yer, did the same :( Only thing I have not tried yet was resetting the MMI (factory reset).

I would have thought that the Rain Closing "smarts" would reference the comfort closing configuration in order to see what items it needs to operate but am willing to bet that the Rain Closing Menu has check box's for both front & rear windows and a box for sunroof, just like our lock menu, and will be key in getting this to work 100%.

Raining in London at the moment. Once stopped I will pop out and mess with it some more lol

No, I've tried different combinations of the set up procedure (as recommended in another forum), Menu first, Rain Closing Active, Permanent Setting but nothing seems to bring the menu up. I initially thought it was because my comfort closing was set to sunroof only, but have tried front windows only, back windows only, all windows no sunroof, all windows and sunroof...you get my drift lol!

Can I ask what your RLFS is coded as? I think I might know what the sunroof issue is :)

*Added further information:

Example RLFS Coding Break Down for 07A8DD (Golf mk7 Coding)
  • 07 = Auto Lights on over 90mph + Auto Rain Light + Auto Rain Closing (Byte 0, Bits 1/2/3 ticked.
  • A8DD = Vehicle Model, in this case a Golf (5G1)
RLFS coding on older format cars was:
  • Byte 0 = Active features / options (as above)
  • Byte 1 = Light Sensitivity Correction %
  • Byte 2 = Rain Sensitivity Correction %
I think most people trying to implement this feature have been working with the older method. Am currently waiting on further information and a chance to test but am betting that if we find the correct Vehicle Model coding the sunroof will work.

Last edited:
It's 06A8DD - is that what you mean?

Perfect. Mine is set the same. I believe the A8DD part is incorrect and as a result the module thinks it's in a different car. Was your factory coding 00006C by any chance?

Hmmm...unfortunately, my VCDS doesn't display what the Bytes and Bits refer to in my RLFS module :(

Yes, 00006C sounds very familiar!

* I've also tried 06885D and 07E8DD but they didn't work either.

Last edited:
Same with mine (Beta 15.5.0). Have referenced the Golf mk7 Module which is basically the same as ours. VCDS seems to have a load more labels for VW than Audi at the moment :(

Hmmm...unfortunately, my VCDS doesn't display what the Bytes and Bits refer to in my RLFS module :(

Did not manage to get the time to carry on testing yesterday, damn real life :( Will test and update in a couple of hours.

Reactions: Inlimbo
Last edited:
Reactions: ME CODING, Bristle Hound, Forbzeeee and 4 others

Have been doing some further testing today with no luck. Rain closing works for windows only. So far people have been using the codes found on VW forums. Although they work If you have an Audi you should really revert them.

Here is a break down:

Byte 0 = The Sum of all activated features and adjustments
  • Bit 0 = Highway Light Function
  • Bit 1 = Rain Light Function
  • Bit 2 = Rain Closing
  • Bits 3 to 5 = Light Activation Threshold earlier (+20% to +80%)
So 07 = Bits 0, 1 and 2 are Active.

Byte's 1 and 2 (combined) = Vehicle Model

XX9597 = A Seat Alhambra (whatever the hell that is!)
XX805D = A Skoda Octavia
XXA8DD = A VW Golf (mk7)

From all the VCDS scans and data I have been sent I have found that ALL A/S3 8V Models and Variants are coded as 00006C from the factory. I have tested using 07006C and Rain closing works, all be it without including the sunroof. I would suggest reverting to this.

The way I see it the sunroof issue is one of three things:

1) The correct Make and Model codes need to be entered in to Byte 1 and 2, but from what I have seen so far all Audi A/S 3 models and variants with a RLFS are factory coded as 00006C. Maybe there is an additional code for models with a sunroof...

2) If XX-006C is correct then maybe there is a "bit" which denotes the Sunroof. (will not know this until RossTech update the label file).

3) Need to find a way to make the Rain Closing Menu Pop in the MMI. (Am betting there is a check box in there to include sunroof as Audi have also split out the options [front windows, rear windows, Sunroof] in all other Lock / comfort related menus).

With regards to number 3, I just tried a "Global" factory reset on all the cars systems as this seemed to work on Golf mk7's. All settings (Radio, Nav etc) have reverted back to factory but the "CAR" settings (Red Menu: Drive Select, Driver Assist, Locking etc) have been retained and on further digging around in fact there is no option to reset "CAR". I even looked in the Engineering menu but there is again no option
frown.png

Would anyone know how to perform a factory reset on the Audi "CAR" system?

Reactions: Minion Bob! and ChiYoung
Epic stuff mate, will revert to 07006C for now. Sorry I can't add anymore suggestions though!

Document updated again, in order to correct an error, well missing adaptation line, in the "Rear Lights as Day Light Running Lights ".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqxra6zs2wu69in/VCDS Adaptations and Codings.pdf?dl=0

Many thanks for spotting the error and letting me know Chi Young :)
Here is a list of some of the changes I collected over the months.....https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hg3w4j1fqj0hxc/VCDS CHANGES.docx?dl=0

Perhaps add them into your better formatted document

Anyone know if there's a setting to change the ACC auto resume time? It's currently about 4 seconds but I'd like to increase it to nearer 20 seconds if possible.

Don't have ACC so not sure how it works. Just had a fast look through my VCDS stuffs and cannot see notes, codings, adaptations and anything in Admaps for "timing" which jump out at me. Only thing I could find was a Distance Menu option:

ACC default distance setting in MMI
[13] Auto distance regulation - security 14117
Adaptation: Option For Presetting of time gap
Change 0 to 1
Save
Reboot MMI (Menu + Push Touch Knob + Top Right Corner Button)
you now have the option to change default distance in the Driver Assistance Menu

Anyone know if there's a setting to change the ACC auto resume time? It's currently about 4 seconds but I'd like to increase it to nearer 20 seconds if possible.

I've been looking for this for a while with no luck

Hey guys, im over in the us and attepted to code the tail lights to the 2 stage form. everything accepted but lights are still flashing like normal. Is that only doable in europe or has anyone in the state succesfully done it?

Thats the one

I have seen the USA version of this coding but cannot remember where and have not bookmarked it :(

Don't really know much about how the USA indicator system works to be honest, but if you can explain to me how the lights work as per normal, and which lights (segments of the cluster) you are looking to include in this mod I can tell you the coding, example.:

Using the light cluster on the car (outside), not the trunk lid, we use an amber light to indicate direction. This light is in the middle of the of the cluster. To the top we have a red light and on the bottom we also have a red light.

I guess what I need to know is do you have red lights where we have amber and is it these you are trying to mod, or is it the top or bottom set you are after...

My Rear LED's brightness was set to 80. I changed them into 100 but I'm curious if they can set to higher values?

Low Beam Lights' brightness is set to 127 for example.

My Rear LED's brightness was set to 80. I changed them into 100 but I'm curious if they can set to higher values?

Low Beam Lights' brightness is set to 127 for example.
how can you adjust the brightness of the rear lights?

how can you adjust the brightness of the rear lights?

(6)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert AB 23
(10)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert CD 23
(14)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert EF 23

(6)-Leuchte24SL HRA65-Dimmwert AB 24
(10)-Leuchte24SL HRA65-Dimmwert CD 24
(14)-Leuchte24SL HRA65-Dimmwert EF 24

Reactions: ChiYoung
Can I ask a question, feel free to tell me if it's a stupid one. Is the VCDS on an A1 the same as an A3. I.e. would the code be the same for visual display parking on both the cars?

Can I ask a question, feel free to tell me if it's a stupid one. Is the VCDS on an A1 the same as an A3. I.e. would the code be the same for visual display parking on both the cars?
Not sure, just idea:
Bytes/Bits might be different. Options available are different.

disable headlamp washers?

I know that turning off the lights does it, but I sometimes forget

I haven't tested this, but this supposedly adjusts the interval between washes, based on the number of times you use your windscreen wipers. In theory, you could set the interval to xxx
8 - Adjustment of the interval of the headlamp cleaning system (SWRA)

The onboard supply control unit, you have the option of the new VW Golf 7 to adapt the control of headlamp cleaning system. Depending on the desired value, future less often driven this (thus saving in the consumption of the fountain solution), or more often if the headlights are often too dirty (thus more consumption in the mop water). Also, the washing time can be adjusted accordingly. Here, too, therefore, the amount of the fountain solution consumed is reduced or increased.

The following coding is used:

Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
STG access authorization -> Function 16
Enter access code 31347
STG adjustment -> function 10
Channel (1) - Select Number of operations front windshield wipers wash per SRA activation
Adjust value corresponding

Channel (3) - Select windscreen wipers SRA washing time

Reactions: RYuill
I haven't tested this, but this supposedly adjusts the interval between washes, based on the number of times you use your windscreen wipers. In theory, you could set the interval to xxx
8 - Adjustment of the interval of the headlamp cleaning system (SWRA)

The onboard supply control unit, you have the option of the new VW Golf 7 to adapt the control of headlamp cleaning system. Depending on the desired value, future less often driven this (thus saving in the consumption of the fountain solution), or more often if the headlights are often too dirty (thus more consumption in the mop water). Also, the washing time can be adjusted accordingly. Here, too, therefore, the amount of the fountain solution consumed is reduced or increased.

The following coding is used:

Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
STG access authorization -> Function 16
Enter access code 31347
STG adjustment -> function 10
Channel (1) - Select Number of operations front windshield wipers wash per SRA activation

Channel (3) - Select windscreen wipers SRA washing time

I wash my front windshield with holding stick towards me. So solution washes it for couple of seconds before wipe.
So how can I set it?