Checking the Cambelt

Pooch121

Steady Eddy
Reaction score
Ahoi hoi boyo's

Bought a 1.6 SE 2001 68k last week, bought the car from what seemed a genuine bloke/honest, down to earth etc

When I asked about the cambelt he promised he had had it done but was unable to locate the receipt,

although very satisfied by my purchase there is this niggling thought in my mind that he could have just stone cold lied to me....like i say seemed a genuine bloke at the time but i realy need piece of mind on this otherwise if it snaps the repairs will be catastophic!!!

Can you tell if it has been changed by simply looking at it? ive read up that tell tale signs of it being changed are to make sure the colour is still a strong black colour without significant fading, and that the writing can still be seen on the belt, and also check the bolts to see if there are any marks on them showing they have been undone and retightened...

Im most likely guna call the bloke I bought it from and ask for the name of the garage he got it done at, then ask if they can check their records, but still if there is a way of checking this without inconveniancing some poor mechanic and also educate myself at the same time, id rather the latter option.

Do apologise for the grammer, it is 04:30 in the morning!!

little help!!:tapedshut:

much love

well ive changed cam belts that have done 50k and if it was cleaned then it would look like a new one. Depends how long its been done but imo its hard to tell by looking at one tbh

If he hasnt got the reciept, does he know where it was 'apparently' done, if so see if they can check it or have a record of it on their system??