Checking for blockages

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Started car today after work and drove literally 3mins to garage for some oil when I took oil cap off and a lot of smoke was coming out can't be right didn't even hit running temp Im worried that there might be a blockage some where. Plus the car hasn't really felt the same as it did when i got it

Is this something I can check myself (no. Axle stands or lift) or is it a garage job

providing you have the correct grade oil and right ammount in your motor then yes id be worried about any ammount of smoke comming from the filler cap area, ideally you would want to jack the car up so you could remove the sump and clean/check the oil pickup pipe, these often gunk up causeing starvation of oil to the upper parts of the engine, the top end of the engine not getting oil could be anything from low oil, a blockage in an oil gallery, to even a knackered oil pump, if i ws you duded id see if you could book it in to a garage for a check up, orblag a mate who has axle stands and a jack to give you a hand checking the obvious things first

Check crank case vent system pipes for blockages, faulty hockey puck valve could also cause high crank case pressure.