Oil Oil Oil

Alba77

Reaction score
Audi are the last option, as my visa card couldnt afford the hit..lol. Cheers mate..

Just out of interest, what mileage have you done before the light came on and how did you treat the car from new?

Just over 10,000, I got the car at 4,000miles and it was used as the deallers demo. Im not one for thrashing it around the place. Apart from the daily town drive into work, its done mostly motorway drags, M6 south and A9 north.

Just over 10,000, I got the car at 4,000miles and it was used as the deallers demo. Im not one for thrashing it around the place. Apart from the daily town drive into work, its done mostly motorway drags, M6 south and A9 north.

So, assuming it was around the full mark when you got it, it's used a litre(ish) in 6000 miles.
Hmmm...
About 3-4 times better than my 140, but still not great.
Miller oils do an Audi suitable oil too.
http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm

Or 5 litres of Shell (VW507) Helix on ebay for £40, including postage.
£8 a litre isn't bad.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHELL-HELIX-5...yZ100919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, the first 4000 miles were probably spent being thrashed as a dealer demo -- say no more!
To me that demonstrates the reason for buying new.

So, the first 4000 miles were probably spent being thrashed as a dealer demo -- say no more!
To me that demonstrates the reason for buying new.

Not everyone has that luxury though.

Then the best thing for him to do would be to buy a 5 litre pack off ebay.

Sorry, but I think you're way wide of the mark here.
I had two Audis in a row.
An A4 diesel, then an A3 diesel.
Both run-in and driven in exactly the same manner.
The A4 barely used a drop, the A3 used loads.
How can that possibly be attributed to my running-in procedure?
We also have several other tdi engined cars here (Passat / Jetta ).
They also use more oil than I would consider acceptable.
So much so that we (the company) bought a large drum of millers oil.
Partly to keep costs down, partly to save drivers the hassle of searching for litre bottles all the time.
They just top-up the same bottle from the drum.

IMO, it is a simple matter of Audi having variable engine build quality.
If you get a good one, you're laughing.
If you don't, factor in the cost of oil into the running costs.
The treatment it gets from new has feck all to do with it, IMHO.

Some people on here, over the years, have admitted to ragging the **** off their cars from new, yet their car doesn't use a drop.

No pattern to it at all.

Bowfer, I would avoid Audi from now on if I were you. Try a BMW or an Alpina.

jesus!! have I started something here?"!:box:

Thanks for the advice though..

No, it's been ongoing for years, mate.
I just get annoyed when people attribute a 2.0tdi's oil consumption to some sort of failing on the driver's part, or insinuate you've been sold a lemon.
From the evidence I've seen, your car's history has sod all to do with it.
You just have one that uses 'a bit'.
Believe me, it could use a helluva lot more.
Mine used so much I got sick to the back teeth of checking the dipstick.
I just used to wait until the oil warning came on, then chuck a litre in.
I wasn't alone in this practice, at least one other owner on here admitted to doing that too.

Some people on here just get a bit 'tetchy' when you tell the truth about some aspects of Audi.
They take it as 'mindless slagging off'...:blahblah1:

I just get annoyed when people attribute a 2.0tdi's oil consumption to some sort of failing on the driver's part, or insinuate you've been sold a lemon.
I wasn't alone in this practice, at least one other owner on here admitted to doing that too.

Some people on here just get a bit 'tetchy' when you tell the truth about some aspects of Audi.
They take it as 'mindless slagging off'...:blahblah1:

I had a leon tdifr before and theyve got the same problem. As far as I know its a known prob for the first 10,000ish miles on all vag engines of this size/type. They like their oil til the engines been bedded in, then it all smooths out. I know its nowt to do with the way im driving it, cause im a good driver:yes:.lol.
Ive taken onboard the constructive comments (ie the question i asked origionally) and all the negative feedback on how car was driven before or during I got it, have gone in one ear and out the other.:no:... Cheers for your feedback mate, much appreciated..:thumbsup:

Steve

Bowfer's car was an elderly 140, not a modern 170....

The oiltight car before the "elderly" 140 was an even more elderly 1.9tdi.
Are you saying Audi only get every other engine series oiltight?
1.9tdi, oiltight
2.0tdi (140), crap
2.0tdi (170), oiltight..
...so anyone going for the new CR engine is in for trouble then?

:p

:

I believe that is me

Quite a regular event now, its using oil at the same rate as wheel bearings

Wait for the bing, shove a litre in

and I've been using any oil I can lay my hands on for the last 25k miles, seems to make no difference, cheap tat, expensive AVS oil from Audi

Go to Opie Oils - the Fuchs Titan VW507 stuff is (from memory) ~£35 plus carriage for 4L? Certainly made sense for me with 2 x 2.0TDi on the drive. And it's the 04 Touran I've had to top not the Audi! Plus my sister has had to use the top up on her Golf and I've refilled the top up (with a top up....)

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-975-fuc...remium-synthetic-meeting-vw50400-vw50700.aspx

You need to register via this site (or VWAudiforum) for a discount on standard pricing

Well I never really ran mine in apart from not thrashing it when cold but I don't hang about once it's warmed up.

6,000 miles and the oil hasn't even moved on the dipstick.

I don't think it's the driving style that has an impact either....

agreed

interestingly mine was seemingly ok until around 10k miles (ish) then it started to drink more than I did in my 20's