RNS-E into Sept 2007 A3 retrofit questions

GeoffT said:
Found a gap above the unit between the vents on the dash and managed to get the GPS antenna to fix there with some self adhesive velcro pads. So it's now virtually central on the dash, with a good "view" out of the screen, with only the plastic of the dash above it. On a very quick test drive it was picking up 5/6/7 satellites so I'm happy with that and haven't had to take the glovebox out.
snap! same location, with same attachment method!

Glad you got it fitted OK Geoff. My unit arrived with German language set so it was a pain trying to work out what everything did until I'd done the vagcom coding. By the way, my cable came from Terry as well and it works a treat.

My wife saw it all for the first time today and admitted that it looks a hell of a lot better than a PDA mounted on the windscreen that I used to have :).

Got some trips over Christmas to do, so looking forward to trying it out.

Jon

Mine was also in German, but I managed to change it in the Menus somewhere (don't ask where!).

Even without VAGCOMing it it seems to be working with everything pretty well. The track/station data appears in the DIS, as does the direction for the NAV. Incoming call data comes up on the RNS-E screen, the only thing that seems to be missing is the phonebook data doesn't seem to have been communicated from the BT unit to the RNS-E (presumably because the system doesn't know that the RNS-E is there yet)

Terry has posted the cable today so with any luck I might get it tomorrow and get it all coded up.

GeoffT said:
the only thing that seems to be missing is the phonebook data doesn't seem to have been communicated from the BT unit to the RNS-E (presumably because the system doesn't know that the RNS-E is there yet)

Some phones wont provide this info at all!

Sony Ericcsson seem to be the best but the new K850 only gives the phone book info and not missed/dialled/received calls like my older w810i.

JamS3 said:
Some phones wont provide this info at all!

Sony Ericcsson seem to be the best but the new K850 only gives the phone book info and not missed/dialled/received calls like my older w810i.

Is this independant of my existing factory fitted phone prep BT system? My Nokia 6233 synchronises fine with that and the phonebook appears in the DIS OK. I was presuming that once I had VAGCOMed the car so that it knew the RNS-E existed it would be available there as well.

GeoffT said:
Is this independant of my existing factory fitted phone prep BT system? My Nokia 6233 synchronises fine with that and the phonebook appears in the DIS OK. I was presuming that once I had VAGCOMed the car so that it knew the RNS-E existed it would be available there as well.
It depends on the bluetooth SW in the phone and in the BT module in the car being compatible.

Newer Nokias (N series especially) often don't synchronise phonebooks and/or call lists, and many PDA phones don't either.

My personal experience:
Nokia 6310 - OK
Nokia N70 - unreliable BT connection, phonebook sync but not call lists.
SE K610i - OK
HTC TyTN II - OK

GeoffT said:
Mine was also in German, but I managed to change it in the Menus somewhere (don't ask where!).

Even without VAGCOMing it it seems to be working with everything pretty well. The track/station data appears in the DIS, as does the direction for the NAV. Incoming call data comes up on the RNS-E screen, the only thing that seems to be missing is the phonebook data doesn't seem to have been communicated from the BT unit to the RNS-E (presumably because the system doesn't know that the RNS-E is there yet)

Terry has posted the cable today so with any luck I might get it tomorrow and get it all coded up.

Guys, I was following these threads closely when deciding whether to go for a RNS-E retro fit or not and found them very helpful, so much so that I decided to go for it myself and purchased one from Lithuania.

I fitted the unit 2 weeks ago just to check it worked and ended up leaving it in cause I like the look of it so much, but still need to remove it to reposition the GPS antenna and move Bose terminal (if someone can clarify this it would be appreciated as the Bose sounds ok to me but I could be wrong or just not remember what it sounded like before).

Everything seems to be working perfectly (MFSW ok, DIS ok, FM signal is poor at times but think I can live with this) so my question is do I really need to get the VAGCOM programming changed or can I leave it as it is? If I need to take the car to a dealer can I just swap back to my concert head unit and all will revert back to normal, or will there be lasting effects on the VAGCOM programming that the dealer will see and hence maybe flag up a problem.

Cheers

When I fitted my RNS-e everything worked the same as yours. I did the recoding just to have it right though.

The only thing the dealer will notice is if it is throwing errors (if they even notice at all). The only error that should be there is the ZF Ground To Earth one.

g4vjc said:
I fitted the unit 2 weeks ago just to check it worked and ended up leaving it in cause I like the look of it so much, but still need to remove it to reposition the GPS antenna and move Bose terminal (if someone can clarify this it would be appreciated as the Bose sounds ok to me but I could be wrong or just not remember what it sounded like before).

This is where you move the BOSE pin from and to in the Quadlock. It's currently on pin 5 and needs to move to pin 7.

Quadlock.jpg

JohnS3 said:
This is where you move the BOSE pin from and to in the Quadlock. It's currently on pin 5 and needs to move to pin 7.

[URL="http://web.mac.com/john.hemsley/Quadlock.jpg"][/URL]

Thanks alot John, much appreciated. I will move the Bose wire this weekend.

What are your thoughts regarding the VAGCOM coding, is it essential that it's done or will I be ok leaving it as it is seeing as all seems to be functioning correctly? I don't have the VAGCOM software or lead so it's not easy for me to do but obviously will ensure it gets done if it's likely to cause a problem.

Personally I'd get the coding done, especially as you have phone prep. It won't cause any real issues if you don't, but you will have lots of DTC errors which might give your dealer cause for concern. Where are you? I'm sure someone with vagcom will code it for you for the price of a few beers! ;)

A very interesting post to me as I will be looking to do the same pretty soon! :icon_thumright:

Just as a precaution (ordered the car before I found this site) I ordered the normal NAV with a view to buying an RNS-e off ebay to save me a grand or so. Was this a wise/unwise move?

I figured all the GPS wiring would be factory fitted in the right place (I.e shark fin) so all i would have to do was plug and play. Is this correct?

Many thanks :icon_thumright:

L60N said:
A very interesting post to me as I will be looking to do the same pretty soon! :icon_thumright:

Just as a precaution (ordered the car before I found this site) I ordered the normal NAV with a view to buying an RNS-e off ebay to save me a grand or so. Was this a wise/unwise move?

I figured all the GPS wiring would be factory fitted in the right place (I.e shark fin) so all i would have to do was plug and play. Is this correct?

Many thanks :icon_thumright:

Mmmm, I'm unsure of the wiring for the CD based Nav unit. I think someone did swop one over, have a search around. You will have a GPS sharkfin on the roof, but at a cost of £750. You may be able to recover some cost by selling the old unit for around £300. If you can find a wiring diagram I'll take a look at it for you.

This guy swopped a BNS5 to an RNSe in a Mk2 TT. Looks like he just needed to move the BOSE wire as above. Good times!!

JohnS3 said:
Personally I'd get the coding done, especially as you have phone prep. It won't cause any real issues if you don't, but you will have lots of DTC errors which might give your dealer cause for concern. Where are you? I'm sure someone with vagcom will code it for you for the price of a few beers! ;)

Thanks John, I've decided my best bet is get the coding done. I'm near Nottingham, Is there anyone on here not too far away (don't mind a bit of travelling) with experience of the coding willing to do it for me for a few beer tokens!! Whats the going rate??:thumbsup:

I think MattAndrew hass vagcom?? He's in Tideswell but I could be totally wrong.

HAHAHAH you know when I read this post... I saw it was Feb... I had a few others open too... then the phone rang... evidence if you need it I can only do one thing at a time. The poster is in reverse gear tho... so maybe he's with us now??

And yes... in answer to your initial question! ;) I preach about the search function on my other forum so figured should take some of my own advice! ;)