RNS-E Retrofit questions

Bil92

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently got my hands on a Navigation Plus system which required a bit of attention. The front face was not sliding down all the way so unable to load CD/DVD/SD cards. Spend most part of this afternoon and evening dismantling it checked the hardware was ok. I did find that a cable from the main control buttons was disconnected so reconnected and reassembled.

My vehicle a 2007 56 Audi S3 is fitted with a Chorus unit and it had the quad-lock so plug and play which was chuffed about. I only really wanted it for the looks and possibly the SD card as use the Nav on my Iphone which does the job not that i need it much. Because it was a spares/repairs unit I didn't mind taking the job on especially if it turns out at a fraction of a rns-e retrofit.

Plugged it all up and after entering the code it fired up radio worked fine with no signal issues. Clicked on the Nav and it came up saying CD/DVD Drive error visit closest Audi workshop. This lead me to think the DVD drive has issues however i have no Nav DVD but if that was the problem it would say no disk so went with drive problem. When pressing the eject button nothing would happen and wouldn't accept and cd's. SD card also didn't show up but after research i came to the conclusion that it was because it was a SDHC(not compatible) and not SD however may be wrong.

Took the unit apart again and noticed this. ( Rip in the ribbon cable from the CD/DVD Drive)

Photo 4 Photo 5

So my idea now is to replace the cable which is the cheaper option and if that doesnt work then buy a drive and fit that. The cable is quite hard to locate even online so if anybody has any pointers much appreciated another photo of it.

My next query is when fitting the unit initially I came across this KUFATEC adapter. I'm unsure what this is, my suspicions were that it may be a GPS antenna and if it is I may go ahead and set up the Nav after all, if anyone can help identify it would be appreciated. When I found it it was just sat behind the stereo with a lot of extra wire tied up and not connected to anything.

Photo 1 Photo 2

Just to recap my questions are:

1. What is the adapter shown in the pictures. What else would I need for a functioning Nav as it seems there is something missing of the end of it.

2. If anyone does know where on earth i would find the right ribbon/flex cable then point me in the right direction.

Also as i quickly remembered the unit is missing the main selector knob where could i find a cheap replacement. I have seen the chrome ones online but not really looking to spend 100+ on knobs.

Thanks for reading and any input appreciated

Good work on getting this far with it.
The Kufatec adapter looks to be a GPS mouse which needs to plug into the back of the RNSE in the blue connector.
If you have the older RNSE (has a CD/TV button instead of Media) then it will only support standard (older) 4gb SD cards and not the SDHC.
sorry i can't help with the ribbon cable, i have never really cared for the RNSE and not taken one apart.

You could take the top off and give the laser a wipe with a soft cotton handkerchief. (Not a used one!)
The eject button might be coded to 'off'.

Thanks for the reply guys. I think the issue with the drive is the nip in the cable found someone breaking a rnse on the bay so cable is fairly cheap to see if it works. If not then will try a new drive. At the moment running the radio and SD card which is enough for me.

I do however need the system coding as no illumination when the car lights are turned on and the system doesn't turn off when key is removed etc.