Retrofitting Mk2 RNS-E to 2007 A3 questions.....

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
I thought that I'd never go along this route as they're too nickable, but I've finally succumbed and bought a Mk2 (8P0 035 193G) RNS-E unit from a 20011 car for my A3 to replace the Symphony II+ unit currently fitted (quadlock connector).
I've also acquired the glovebox mounted 6-CD changer and now need to join the two, but am puzzled as to which cable I need?
Can anyone please tell me?
In case it makes a difference, I've already retrofitted the factory Bluetooth phone system as my A3 also has the MFSW.
Having read around, it appears with this RNS-E unit I will lose the SDS system, is that right?
This doesn't really bother me as I find the voice recognition system truly rubbish, and only ever make calls from scrolling through my phone book visible in the DIS but just wondering how come the later system seems to be going backwards in terms of functionality?
Or have I misunderstood this SDS business?
Thanks!

Well I've sussed out the cable needed....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181204023399?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
...but now have another dilemma....
I know about the radio reception issue with later (i.e. 2007ish ) cars when fitting the RNS-E as it uses the earlier antenna system, but as I live in an area of good radio reception I'm going to put up with the incorrect antenna system (for the time being at least) and see how it goes.
This brings me to my problem.
I had my existing head unit out today and took a picture of the back of it, the current (ISO,DIN or whatever it is!) twin antenna connection is the white plastic connector at the bottom left.
IMG 0624

Of course the RNS-E unit has a twin Fakra antenna connection.
How on earth do I convert the existing car wiring for this ISO/DIN connector to mate with the twin Fakra connector on the RNS-E?
The commercially made adaptors seem to be for early cars converting to RNS-E and not for later cars ,like mine.
I've searched online all afternoon and am still none the wiser!
Is there a simple connector I can use to change from my current aerial connector (stupidly I didn't take a picture!) to the Fakra one?
Thanks.

I think that I've managed to answer some of my questions that I posted above...
The RNS-E unit arrived today and after a trial-fit I was surprised to find that the twin aerial connector on my car (and which connected to the Symphony II+ head unit) fitted the RNS-E perfectly!
After reading around, I had been led to believe that all RNS-E units use Fakra aerial connections and that as my car was a late 2006-build vehicle (Nov '06) it should have had the later antenna system which had different connectors?
Perhaps I've misunderstood all of this or perhaps the internet information that 2007 models (like mine is!) should have the 'later' antenna system is wrong?
Either way, I'm not complaining!
Time will tell whether I have this antenna conflict issue , I haven't yet fitted the RNS-E, but when I do I'll run a VCDS scan and have a look......

Reactions: samuelh_888