Very confused about what I need in order to install an after market head unit

elbow.sulphate315

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an A3 8P with "full" Bose (going off of the fact that the headunit says "Bose" when starting, and that all speaker covers have "Bose" written on them). It has the Audi Symphony head unit with 6 CD changer and a tape deck (pics attached).

I want to get a new head unit since the screen in mine is dying and I would like to have bluetooth. I'm pretty sure I've seen every post about head units on this forum, and they just left me with even more questions. If anyone could answer these for me I would really appreciate it.

I don't have any buttons on my steering wheel, or any phone connectivity extras in my car.

1) Since I've got a full bose setup, I believe i believe i need special wiring.
A) Would either this one from incartec or this one from dynamicsounds have everything I need?
B) If not, what else would I need (other than tools)?
C) Will i loose on sound quality by going with either one of these?
2) Does it matter whether I get a 1 DIN or 2 DIN unit to get the most out of my speakers, or does it not matter?
3) What power output unit should I go for? A lot of head units have 4x50-55 outputs, would that be enough?
4) Will this change require any VCDS coding, and if so, what should I change?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm very confused. Honestly, changing out all the suspension bits caused me less headache than trying to figure out what exactly I need to get a new head unit installed :sweatsmile:

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 58
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 27
A) Either should work, the second Dynamic Sounds one would use steering wheel controls if you had them.
B) You might need extractor pins with the first one
C) No, they shouldn't interfere with the sound path
2) Not that I'm aware of, Pioneer seem to do units in 1 or 2 DIN sizes almost at random
3) Any decent head unit should match the power of what you have now and be loud enough
4) No coding required that I'm aware of.

I had Dynamic Sounds fit a Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double DIN unit and I don't think they did any coding. My get up was slightly different because I had the multi function steering wheel (MFSW) fitted a long time ago and my Symphony unit was bit newer with the one piece Quadlock connector. This was the third aftermarket unit I'd fitted in the 15 years I've had the car.

Reactions: bronco
A) Either should work, the second Dynamic Sounds one would use steering wheel controls if you had them.
B) You might need extractor pins with the first one
C) No, they shouldn't interfere with the sound path
2) Not that I'm aware of, Pioneer seem to do units in 1 or 2 DIN sizes almost at random
3) Any decent head unit should match the power of what you have now and be loud enough
4) No coding required that I'm aware of.

I had Dynamic Sounds fit a Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double DIN unit and I don't think they did any coding. My get up was slightly different because I had the multi function steering wheel (MFSW) fitted a long time ago and my Symphony unit was bit newer with the one piece Quadlock connector. This was the third aftermarket unit I'd fitted in the 15 years I've had the car.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!