Centre brake light

Abi

Reaction score
Has anybody fitted a brake light strobe module to there vehicle?

Why, I hear you ask!

I’m a bus driver and see plenty of rear end shunts while in traffic and a flashing brake light increases noticeably enormously.
I’ve had one on my motorcycle for a few years now and have fitted one to my A3’s centre brake light recently.

Everything is working perfectly except I get the error on the dash, due to the load difference, so a resistor is needed to prevent the can bus error.

Here’s my question:- where do I fit the resistor before the new module or after and is it in series or parallel (forgive my ignorance here but don’t do electronics)

Any help would be appreciated to get rid of the error message.

3d947df1874ff7bdd1f4a4c5a8e86932.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which unit did you fit is the 1st question & any pics.

Ideally I'd use the original light to trigger a relay to feed the flashing unit, as adding resistors adds heat & may present further issues, you could balance it so it's not getting hot but I'd try a relay circuit 1st see if it stops the dash error.

Ironically vag cars, not all, have the function of flashing lights in emergency braking situations, it's coding & chassis dependent, on an MOT it won't show as it's not hard braking, but it is there.

I would install a switch for MOT times lol.

Which unit did you fit is the 1st question & any pics.

Ideally I'd use the original light to trigger a relay to feed the flashing unit, as adding resistors adds heat & may present further issues, you could balance it so it's not getting hot but I'd try a relay circuit 1st see if it stops the dash error.

Sorry for late reply, I bought this one again as it’s what I have on my motorcycle.

Regards MOT purposes I have trolled the internet previously and seem to be mixed views. My motorcycle has passed with it on so I’m still not sure on this one. If it’s an issue then I can just disconnect it easily enough.

8823640cc4ddd9229836cfb89a96e291.jpg

I’ve previously found this posted on the internet
1a1391c6853019a1da7c867d24970d8b.jpg

I’ve previously found this posted on the internet
1a1391c6853019a1da7c867d24970d8b.jpg

It's right there in the link I posted, as unambiguously as you can get it. Primary source - legislation.gov.
For the benefit of those without the ability to use hyperlinks:
Lamps to show a steady light

13.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of–

(a)a direction indicator;

(b)a headlamp fitted to an emergency vehicle [F1or a vehicle used for special forces purposes];

(c)a warning beacon or special warning lamp;

(d)a lamp or illuminated sign fitted to a vehicle used for police purposes;

(e)a green warning lamp used as an anti-lock brake indicator; F2...

(f)lamps forming part of a traffic sign;

[F3(g)a front position lamp capable of emitting a flashing light (whether or not it is also capable of emitting a steady light) which is fitted to—

(i)a pedal cycle; or

(ii)a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle;

and which, if it is a lamp which is required to be fitted pursuant to regulation 18, is capable, when emitting a flashing light, of emitting light to the front of the pedal cycle, trailer or sidecar (as the case may be) of an intensity of not less than 4 candelas; or

(h)a rear position lamp capable of emitting a flashing light (whether or not it is also capable of emitting a steady light) which is fitted to—

(i)a pedal cycle; or

(ii)a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle;

and which, if it is a lamp which is required to be fitted pursuant to regulation 18, is capable, when emitting a flashing light, of emitting light to the rear of the pedal cycle, trailer or sidecar (as the case may be) of an intensity of not less than 4 candelas.

Sorted it, no more warning light on the dash

Reactions: NHN