brake light

audi_driver

S LINE
Reaction score
Just wondering how long it takes to change a brake light bulb because I had a price quoted this morning and it was 20 pound from glasgow audi! My local garage tried to change the bulb for me but he hadnt a clue how to! lol.

A normal bulb, not the 3rd brake light yes?

About 5 minutes realistically.
  1. Pop off the 2p sized cover from inside the boot behind the cluster.
  2. Used the provided flathead screwdriver to unscrew the plastic screw you'll find within.
  3. Pull the light cluster out from the bottom at the back working around towards the side, until the clip pops out from the bottom (at the side).
  4. Twist the other way until the top pops out.
  5. Pull away from the car and disconnect the cable (you might find it easier with the flathead).
  6. Unclip the bulb holder at the 4 surrounding clips.
  7. Change the bulb.
  8. The fitting is the reverse of the removal.
Steps 3 & 4 can be a bit of a fiddle but there are some pics in the manual that explain it better.

Did you not notice who started that thread mate?

I did indeed when searching for Dave's post to help audi_driver with. And then totally forgot to put Dave's post in!! - idiot me

The comment was purely tongue in cheek given in September audi_driver was asking whether his brake (sorry break) light could be changed at an audi centre as it didn't want to go local. Then in this post today he asked us how long it takes to change it after trying his local.

I found Dave's information really useful when I changed mine, here it is now:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=51162

Yeah I have actually been driving for 3 months without a brake light, never even notice it was that long until you mentioned it lol. I went down to my locals when i found it was a bit of a job to do myself especially in this weather! But my local garage had some difficulty with it and told me "audi are taking this ****" as I recall him saying. Finally got it sorted this afternoon at glasgow audi for a hefty price of 20 pound! Thanks for the help though staz1000.