Anyone else just 'not bonding' with their new RS3?

Sorry mate - that thread’s dormant :)

Something good … ok … erm ….

Although the heating system takes an age to warm up and clear the windscreen, the seat heaters get up to temp in no time, they get roasting hot very quickly ironically.
But they also need to get hot v quick, still wish I had of swapped to microfibre..................

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
But they also need to get hot v quick, still wish I had of swapped to microfibre..................

The PET seats are warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46 and Snake Pliskin
This thread is so depressing, someone pls post some good stuff in my "good stuff" one instead!

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
The rim protection on the Bridgestone tyres are excellent !! It's like a chunk of Mars bar around the rim.......
:)

• Haha
Reactions: kayemill, IanL-RS3 and Snake Pliskin
Sorry mate - that thread’s dormant :)

Something good … ok … erm ….

Although the heating system takes an age to warm up and clear the windscreen, the seat heaters get up to temp in no time, they get roasting hot very quickly ironically.
My wife thinks the heated seats are rubbish. But she lives attached to a hot water bottle and is comparing it to our E70 X5 which is much better. I hardly use it. So no complaints from me.......

The rim protection is amazing. Although I keep eyeing up the wheels on the performance edition.

The Tesla can be pre-heated from the app.
That aspect is very useful atm ;)

It is quite amuzing watching neighbours chisling their windscreens and me just jumping in and driving off. Sometimes I have to open the window a bit as 21 degrees is a bit too warm :)

Only thing the Tesla doesn't do is clear the lights.

• Haha
Reactions: Daggerit and Snake Pliskin
The heating system IS rubbish on the 8y RS3.

The loaner Q5 I have atm started blowing hot air this evening in no time. No idea why the RS3 takes soooo long to heat up and demist the interior ?

Reactions: itsbigyellow
Reminds me of my first car, an M reg Astra!! I've been in conservatories that heat up quicker.
That said, in 32 degree heat absolutely wanging it in Europe it never went hot, I know which I'd prefer.

The rim protection on the Bridgestone tyres are excellent !! It's like a chunk of Mars bar around the rim.......
:)

You’ve never seen the pzeeros then. It’s the biggest stretched out rim protector I’ve ever seen. Mine came with Bridgestones which are better grip wise but the p zeros look 100% better.

Reactions: Prodigy

The loaner Q5 I have atm started blowing hot air this evening in no time. No idea why the RS3 takes soooo long to heat up and demist the interior ?

The coolant will be just held around the engine block to bring it up to temp quicker then it’ll be directed elsewhere once it hits a certain temp range.

RS3 9.8 litres coolant, Golf 7R 5.3 litres, maybe that doesnt help?

Reactions: Prodigy and Southall87
Almost double the volume would make a massive difference, as you've alluded to. Just glad it has heated seats for the time it takes to warm up.

That is fine about the volume of coolant - but how come the 8Y still takes longer than any previous Audi I've had to heat up - all similar size cars (TTS / RS3 8v) ?

Where you getting that figure from Mike ?
Golf r coolant

Reactions: Prodigy and Daggerit
That is fine about the volume of coolant - but how come the 8Y still takes longer than any previous Audi I've had to heat up - all similar size cars (TTS / RS3 8v) ?
I think the way they manage the coolant is to do with the engine warm up phase, the ECU will be holding the coolant in the block circuit until it hits a certain temp then it'll be circulated into the the other circuits in the system......

Audi have obviously decided it's more important to get the engine block up to a reasonable temp, they must have had to do something different this time, as on the Daza engines they pulled back the timing / exhaust cam phase to heat the cat quicker, which led to the horrible bag o nails sound on cold start.

Reactions: Prodigy and Snake Pliskin

Must be a design flaw with the vents surely... Gutting in this chuffing weather we're having.
Deffo not the 5pot taking time to warm through... I've the same in RSQ3... 4mins after startup, hot air blowing nicely and *** warmers kicked in. 7mins in and fully upto 90deg running temp this morning. minus 3 today and had to scrape ice, by time I've run round to scrape, usually good to set off...

Reactions: Prodigy and Snake Pliskin
Must be a design flaw with the vents surely... Gutting in this chuffing weather we're having.
Deffo not the 5pot taking time to warm through... I've the same in RSQ3... 4mins after startup, hot air blowing nicely and *** warmers kicked in. 7mins in and fully upto 90deg running temp this morning. minus 3 today and had to scrape ice, by time I've run round to scrape, usually good to set off...
You must have the fastest warming up 8Y in the forum then! :tearsofjoy: I left mine running while I cleared the snow off, drove for about 2 miles and then the water finally got warm (showing green on the RS display) which is when the thermostat seems to open in mine.

• Haha
You must have the fastest warming up 8Y in the forum then! :tearsofjoy: I left mine running while I cleared the snow off, drove for about 2 miles and then the water finally got warm (showing green on the RS display) which is when the thermostat seems to open in mine.

I am not sure if they were fitted to the 8Y but many of the MQB cars had a supplimenmtal aux heating element in the heater box to heat up faster. it was fitted to random cars, not just diesels but likes of 1.5tsi too. Common retrofit, it does need big power supply and coding in because it bumps the engine revs when in use. That is main reason why two cars with the same engine can have different warm-up times.

Reactions: Daggerit
Must be naff 8Y's across the board then my 8U is great at heating up to be honest :laughing:

• Haha
Must be naff 8Y's across the board then my 8U is great at heating up to be honest :laughing:
Yup, keep it and don't bother with the 8Y. :tearsofjoy: My B9 S4 was really good at heating up but I imagine a lot of that is down to the 'hot V' turbo setup with the heads having the exhaust manifold integrated so being able to warm up the coolant much quicker.

I 'tested' mine yesterday from a cold start trying to keep my hand on the dash vent whilst driving, it blew at (what appeared like) the same cold temperature for around 2 miles before any warmth came through, it is as if (as said before) there is a valve or thermostat that doesnt open until it thinks the coolant is warm enough to have some effect.
Of course we have no water temperature reading, only what looks like oil temp, from my Golf R (which has both) the oil temperature lags the water temperature by around 20/25c when warming up

Reactions: Prodigy, Daggerit and Snake Pliskin
I 'tested' mine yesterday from a cold start trying to keep my hand on the dash vent whilst driving, it blew at (what appeared like) the same cold temperature for around 2 miles before any warmth came through, it is as if (as said before) there is a valve or thermostat that doesnt open until it thinks the coolant is warm enough to have some effect

The biggest problem is if the car is frosted / misted up and you can't drive it.
From stationary it takes AGES to clear the windscreen.
As you say, when it does get up to temp the heat is very hot but its nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing - ah there it is finally hot air :tearsofjoy:
Roll on next week when the temperature lifts a bit.

Reactions: Mike.46
It's probably emission related with trying to get the engine up to 'temperature' before bothering with it's occupant's.............Audi nanny mode engineering again

The biggest problem is if the car is frosted / misted up and you can't drive it. From stationary it takes AGES to clear the windscreen.

Get a Skoda :laughing: they are the only ones in the VAG group to have proper heated winscreens

It's probably emission related with trying to get the engine up to 'temperature' before bothering with it's occupant's.............Audi nanny mode engineering again
Most of the VAG engines do the same thing, heat up block water, then direct it to the cabin, then to the radiator, three stage process. Many have a water oil cooler to use water to heat the oil at the start then cool the oil using the water radiator when hot.

Mind you the cost of an EA855 engine I am happy to wait for its oil to warm up before I do

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Daggerit

941d1058560f28a09ae0b268e9a5a80c.png

23496a31e5040df5402551fe12e97a42.png

caf140138e4d38abf7bf0983e04670b7.png

983b731df057594bc11e62f5daf4968a.png

273802f50286aabd0ad4a6f74f875888.png

Reactions: mister.c., RS03???, Mike.46 and 2 others
Almost double the volume would make a massive difference, as you've alluded to. Just glad it has heated seats for the time it takes to warm up.

You have a heated steering wheel also?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have a heated steering wheel also?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point ... those that have a heated steering wheel have the ROUND wheel - with the considerable surface area it must give off some immense extra heat to the cabin lol ;) :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: kayemill and Daggerit
Good point ... those that have a heated steering wheel have the ROUND wheel - with the considerable surface area it must give off some immense extra heat to the cabin lol ;) :tearsofjoy:

No not on the 8Y.

941d1058560f28a09ae0b268e9a5a80c.png

23496a31e5040df5402551fe12e97a42.png

caf140138e4d38abf7bf0983e04670b7.png

983b731df057594bc11e62f5daf4968a.png

273802f50286aabd0ad4a6f74f875888.png

Nice find :) That explains all then, NO water circulation at all until until the ecu says so, (after 60c)
Must be emmission related then?

JFI.

I spoke to my WV/Audi indpendent guy today, he is changing a Mk7 Golf or same age Audi/Skoda heater matrix EVERY day, they are blocking up, he had cut one open and the blocking material felt akin to toothpaste, VW/Audi have a flushing regime to unblock the heater matrix but he says it takes forever to do, so better to change the matrix, £300 for the heater matrix.
He says diesels suffering more than petrol and suspects it down to the extra heat from the EGR water cooler, looks like the anti freeze is breaking down?

Nice find :) That explains all then, NO water circulation at all until until the ecu says so, (after 60c)
Must be emmission related then?

JFI.

I spoke to my WV/Audi indpendent guy today, he is changing a Mk7 Golf or same age Audi/Skoda heater matrix EVERY day, they are blocking up, he had cut one open and the blocking material felt akin to toothpaste, VW/Audi have a flushing regime to unblock the heater matrix but he says it takes forever to do, so better to change the matrix, £300 for the heater matrix.
He says diesels suffering more than petrol and suspects it down to the extra heat from the EGR water cooler, looks like the anti freeze is breaking down?

Our GTD has been exhibiting matrix issues, colder on one side etc.

Silica bag was removed when I did the timing belt in 2019

I ordered a new Nissens Heater Matrix for £90 so will be changing it over Xmas.

Nissens matrix are widely regarded to be superior to the Valeo offering from VW.

Reactions: Mike.46
Our GTD has been exhibiting matrix issues, colder on one side etc.

Silica bag was removed when I did the timing belt in 2019

I ordered a new Nissens Heater Matrix for £90 so will be changing it over Xmas.

Nissens matrix are widely regarded to be superior to the Valeo offering from VW.

My mate is getting them from eurocarparts at about 1/3rd of the price of Audi/VW, yet still OEM make, he says Golfs are easy as the centre consul allows good access compared to the A3 which is a PITA

My mate is getting them from eurocarparts at about 1/3rd of the price of Audi/VW, yet still OEM make, he says Golfs are easy as the centre consul allows good access compared to the A3 which is a PITA

A lot smaller than you’d think lol.

666b40d321ff33b6a5b72fc16c3fd112.jpg

yes tiny, surprised me :)

Last edited:
My S3 8Y was incredibly quick at heating up in the coldest of weather. Usually before I left the street it was blowing hot air.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
My S3 8Y was incredibly quick at heating up in the coldest of weather. Usually before I left the street it was blowing hot air.
Golf R the same tbf, with added cloth seats AND seat heaters it was a nice place to be in on these cold mornings.......unlike the RS3

Golf 8R with a heater/heated cloth seats and a heated steering wheel would be nice as well