Anyone else just 'not bonding' with their new RS3?

I think that could help, it's perhaps too 'comfortable' and 'quiet' even when any Dynamic/RS modes are selected, I can see what it 'could' be when in RS mode with neutral selected, I think I will have to try an exhaust valve controller
Even in dynamic/performance modes ooft never had a an Audi that didn't want to fly away Aurally in dynamic mode my Mrs could here my TTS coming down the Street more than any other Audi I've had and that was a opf car very very strange that a RS3 can be like this....l think I'd better get a test drive as l am not one for modifying wouldn't know where to start

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I don't know why but I am just not 'bonding' with my RS3 (Tango Vorsprung SB) and i'm not sure why? is it just too quiet? too refined?

Just now and then I catch a glimpse and think 'Looks nice'

I keep harping back to my 17 Golf R with nice spec, that put a smile on my face every time I drove it, this car just isnt doing that for me?
Interesting as I have a 10,000 Mile 7.5 Stage 3 Golf with nearly every option that I've owned for over 2 Years and still absolutely love and with my Vorsprung Edition SB now due September I'm not sure I want to swap think I may put the R in storage for couple of months then see how I feel and keep which ever I Prefer.
20210811 170926

Reactions: Mike.46
After 2.5 months I’ve grown to love everything about ours. I’ve even gotten over the noise deficit from our pfl 8V. Being the colour it is certainly gets a lot of thumbs up and attention. Whereas the Nardo 8V broke peoples ears to get their attention!

For me it’s another keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3vans, Snake Pliskin, HulkRS3 and 2 others
For those that previously owned an 8v RS3 the sound is a disappointment no doubt … but to put it into context it’s still waaay better than a Merc Hoover 45s.

• Haha
Reactions: davc, 3vans, kayemill and 5 others
For those that previously owned an 8v RS3 the sound is a disappointment no doubt … but to put it into context it’s still waaay better than a Merc Hoover 45s.

This is my thinking, I know it won’t compare to the 8v but I want a new car and there’s nothing in that bracket that will sound as good. Add an aftermarket exhaust and a map, once available, and sure I’ll be more than happy.

Reactions: kayemill, Snake Pliskin and Mike.46
I do think it's 'noise' related, out today with part of the rear seat down, I could hear the odd 'pop' now and then on upchanges and more 5 cylinder noise, I think thats what I may be missing, my Golf would make a DSG 'fart' 1st-2nd and 'pop' on every other change up, plus a little over run 'burble' when just driving 'normal' that just isnt there with the RS3....needs more noise, time to order an exhaust valve controller :)

I'll also check the 'Soundacktor' and see where that is set

Reactions: kayemill and garethdj
Ha ha small car.... only wish it was. The width and stance look great out and about, but width is a real issue for me putting it in my garage. After 6 years with 3dr Golf R, I thought the 5dr would solve (and overcome) any issue. It appears not...the sticky out angles on the door don't help either. Put it this way, I certainly won't be enduring 6 yrs of garaging the RS3 (I appreciate this is a personal issue and down to me). Parking on drive is not an option either with my security paranoia (perceived or actual)...lol

On the road, the car is great, I do like the interior (just imagine how good it could have been). I get on with the touchscreen and controls. The fly by wire shifter is very easy to handle and loving the rear cargo net (ok, not a reason to spend £50k).

Driving wise, after reading these threads, I can now set the car to start in Performance mode which is fun. The sound does make it a lot of fun (but I appreciate that I am listening to piped sound, rather than the good old days of pure exhaust. I still need to have a play to hear the actual exhaust. I do appreciate it when driven fast and the downchanges with blips, make me chuckle and smile. Haven't done a full launch but my two "manual" take offs have made me hang on tightly. In gear as well, it is the full jump to light speed when you put your foot down. It does put a smile on my face....until I am back in the cul de sac and need to manoeuvre on to drive (turning circle) and then breath in to get it in garage.

Very early on after getting the RS3, it did make me think how good VW had got the Mk 7 R with performance and everyday usability. The RS3 is a wonderful car (and a dying breed) but to me it seems 2 steps up, not just one. The RS3 is the biggest car (size and engine) that I have had and it does make me think of a big engined GT car (a good thing) as it seems to lumber out of my cul de sac. (I like that).

Also, despite the car's good bits, my nephew has already mentioned several times. " for a car this expensive, I would expect an electric open/close boot release". lol!!

Reactions: furious_iPod, RS03???, kayemill and 4 others
Ha ha small car.... only wish it was. The width and stance look great out and about, but width is a real issue for me putting it in my garage. After 6 years with 3dr Golf R, I thought the 5dr would solve (and overcome) any issue. It appears not...the sticky out angles on the door don't help either.
Car size and more so perception of size is odd, My R8 went in one side of my double garage but didnt leave enough room for me to work on my bench across the rear of the garage.
I was (at the time) thinking of buying an M2 and one bonus was I would have more room to work at my workbench..........................how wrong was I? I measured the garage out with the dimensions of the M2 only (after more than a few checks on the web) and found that the M2 is actually longer than an R8, I honestly thought the M2 would be about 6 inches shorter

Reactions: vatdim, kayemill and AndyVWR
I've had mine sine the 5th March and I absolutely love it. I had a RS3 8V Saloon before it. I knew the 8Y would be quieter than the 8V but it never put me off getting it. It's a small sacrifice that will be got around eventually. What a car.

Reactions: kayemill, Add_Profile, RS03??? and 2 others
Sorry to hear you’re not binding with yours…

Having had a mk7 and 7.5 R and as good as they both were, I must admit I don’t miss it - I do want an estate mk7.5 for the mrs though…

I find the rs3 does everything the R did but better. Yes it costs more but I would (and did) pay that for the 5cyl noise… the R sounded awful - could be loud but in any and every form (ie any exhaust mod) sounded terrible

I think the rs3 needs a louder exhaust so may help you bond with yours if you can free up some more noise

Reactions: RS03???, garethdj and Mike.46
1 week into my FIRST Audi, I am growing into it, 400 miles done, sticks a smile on my face when I do.
In traffic stop start stuff, so easy
Open road harder to curtail my need to explore her road handling, passed all test's to date
Looking FWD to getting over the 1000 km point, plus the 1500km

Reactions: RS03??? and Carbon89
1 week into my FIRST Audi, I am growing into it, 400 miles done, sticks a smile on my face when I do.
In traffic stop start stuff, so easy
Open road harder to curtail my need to explore her road handling, passed all test's to date
Looking FWD to getting over the 1000 km point, plus the 1500km

Remind me about the 1k and 1.5k? Which one is the run in period, I know it’ll be in the manual somewhere lol

• Haha
Reactions: AndyVWR
1000 Km keep it below 4000 rpm
next 500 build up the acceleration levels
In UK or miles, 620 miles then next 310 keep it down
I am a simple man, cant remember those numbers, so 666 and 333 does it for me, adds up to nearly 1000!!!

Reactions: garethdj
You would have thought if running in was so important, they'd limit the revs during that time.

Reactions: davc and garethdj
I'm really on the fence about mine.

So far in no particular order I've had;

- Random Oil Pressor Sensor warnings that they can't get rid of
- Power steering rack making funky noises from time to time
- MMI constantly asking me to apply updated settings and very occasionally logging me out
- Few Small QC issues (roof rattle, rattle from front of dashboard, tailgate rattle, leather imperfections and trim alignment)
- Loads of quietly dropped and then denied specification with no reimbursement as was promised in an email
- Very poor customer service from Audi UK and Jardine Audi

Like the product itself isn't that bad, yes the interior could be better and the exhausts could be a bit louder but the engine and drive are really good - is it worth the new revised pricing without a discount? I probably wouldn't pay that for one personally but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who did either.

As per what Mike said very mixed boat for me, if the service from the retailer and manufacturer had been more accomodating on a 60k hatchback I probably wouldn't be where I am now but it is what it is I guess.

Had mine just short of 2 weeks now and I absolutely f'ing love it.

Yes it doesn't sound as good as the 8V but the driving dynamics and the look of it more than make up for the lack of sound.

The 8V looks so dated now IMO.

Reactions: Keano04, garethdj, kayemill and 1 other person
Had mine just short of 2 weeks now and I absolutely f'ing love it.

Yes it doesn't sound as good as the 8V but the driving dynamics and the look of it more than make up for the lack of sound.

The 8V looks so dated now IMO.
All cars Date mate and the FL 8V still turns my head A stunning Navarra Blue S3 saloon slowly drove down past my drive yesterday and it looked stunning and elegant sounded good as well no opf a classic Audi in the making and in my opinion the best A3 built to date

Reactions: FBF01
rs3 start to feel like normal car for me until i did rent this beast

im sure when I get rs3 back I will love it even more hahaha
20220708 194736

• Haha
Reactions: vatdim, kayemill and Terminator x
All cars Date mate and the FL 8V still turns my head A stunning Navarra Blue S3 saloon slowly drove down past my drive yesterday and it looked stunning and elegant sounded good as well no opf a classic Audi in the making and in my opinion the best A3 built to date

there was a Daytona 8v saloon in my local dealership today - still looks good but seemed really small?!!

I think that must be due to all the angles and flares on the 8y that just make it more imposing. The 8v is very discrete but looking around it in a bit more detail you can really see the design development by Audi since the 8y is design tweaks from the 8v - the lines are even similar albeit more aggressive on the 8y.

i had forgotten how Audi did the exhaust on the 8v - think prefer the separate trim on the 8y which surprised me… looked a bit naff on the 8v

Attachments

• B7C9FA17-F237-46A5-8ECF-A193D04DEFD9.jpeg
    B7C9FA17-F237-46A5-8ECF-A193D04DEFD9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
there was a Daytona 8v saloon in my local dealership today - still looks good but seemed really small?!!

I think that must be due to all the angles and flares on the 8y that just make it more imposing. The 8v is very discrete but looking around it in a bit more detail you can really see the design development by Audi since the 8y is design tweaks from the 8v - the lines are even similar albeit more aggressive on the 8y.

i had forgotten how Audi did the exhaust on the 8v - think prefer the separate trim on the 8y which surprised me… looked a bit naff on the 8v
The exterior of the 8y saloon is pretty much perfect ..What l miss is the stitching ie actual stitching on the door armrests etc not talking about design pack...embossed guff my mums 6 year old A1 has the same stuff as the RS3 8Y.......its like a hotel its all the little nice touches add up to lot ....difference between 4☆ and 5☆

The exterior of the 8y saloon is pretty much perfect ..What l miss is the stitching ie actual stitching on the door armrests etc not talking about design pack...embossed guff my mums 6 year old A1 has the same stuff as the RS3 8Y.......its like a hotel its all the little nice touches add up to lot ....difference between 4☆ and 5☆

good way of putting it actually - in isolation some of the criticisms are a bit nit picky but it’s when you add them up it accumulates…

I must admit I like the interior but you’re right it could have been that step up with a few tweaks here and there.

haha yeah can drive road I will.never go on with rs ;) but its so.weak.car

For Christ sake please start making sense with your replies……..

• Haha
Reactions: abmat, Southall87, 3vans and 1 other person
^^ never.will.ok.so

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY
We're having a similar problem with the S3.

It's definitely too quiet but that's just tough these days but it's not just that.

Looks superb but I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong.

From that angle the 8v exhaust does look a bit naff but it was fine from head height looking down & sounded damn fine :)
The 8Y exhaust does look good though I agree and cleaning it is a doddle compared to the 8v albeit not much comes out of it does it ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06
We're having a similar problem with the S3.

It's definitely too quiet but that's just tough these days but it's not just that.

Looks superb but I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong.

Lol it’s an S3 that’s it…….. just don’t see the place for it, especially when you can have the better looking Golf 8R or even a CS45 edition.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
For £325/month?

Dunno I’m talking from a car perspective not a monthly payment.

S3 just seems a so so car……..at least the 8R has more going for it.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Dunno I’m talking from a car perspective not a monthly payment.

S3 just seems a so so car……..at least the 8R has more going for it.

There's a vanilla spec S3 hatchback 5 doors up from me its in Navarra Blue it looks so ordinary especially with 18" alloys which really don't look like alloys.....bug bear for me on the 8y S3 is one of the front intakes is fake whilst the other is a actual intake, my TTS has 2 full intakes not a fan of the Rhombus design stitching on the seats either but at least you've got a couple options for the seat coverings Rotor grey is nice or whatever they name it on the 8Y steel grey is it?

Reactions: 8YARWY
There's a vanilla spec S3 hatchback 5 doors up from me its in Navarra Blue it looks so ordinary especially with 18" alloys which really don't look like alloys.....bug bear for me on the 8y S3 is one of the front intakes is fake whilst the other is a actual intake, my TTS has 2 full intakes not a fan of the Rhombus design stitching on the seats either but at least you've got a couple options for the seat coverings Rotor grey is nice or whatever they name it on the 8Y steel grey is it?

It’s just not a special car any more, and I had 2 8P S3’s around 12 years ago that felt more special as back then they were top of the A3 tree……..
Audi seem to have designed the S3 into a bit of a ‘nothing’ car, when it should be at least on par with its VW equivalent.

Reactions: Robsrs, RS_UK, Mike.46 and 3 others
It’s just not a special car any more, and I had 2 8P S3’s around 12 years ago that felt more special as back then they were top of the A3 tree……..
Audi seem to have designed the S3 into a bit of a ‘nothing’ car, when it should be at least on par with its VW equivalent.

Sad.... my 2 S3's where a bit special looking especially my last one you dont see a lot of 8y S3's on the roads

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
I got s3 , and this generation s3 its just faster a3 nothing else , nothing special

My 8v S3 was the only car I've not given a name or nickname to at the time of having it, by no means scientific, but it was just functional without much excitement. We now refer to it as 'Car with no name'.

Reactions: 8YARWY, kayemill and Snake Pliskin