RS3 First Thoughts & Questions

Reaction score
Alright Guys,

My first RS3 that I've been in and just had a few questions about it for those who are in the know better than me;

- Does the exhaust (sports exhaust as car is a vorsprung)/engine sound toggle between subdued/automatic/pronouced actually do anything at lower speeds? Below 4000rpm I can't hear any change between the settings and the exhaust for just doing 20mph in stop/start around London seemed a little bit too loud, I guess on the other end it's probably too quiet so I guess you can't have it both ways!

- Does the gearbox/drivetrain/brakes seem a bit not-smooth in slower speed, I see people have talked about it on older cars but not the 8Y? Gears 1/2/3 when you're going slow are a bit jolty and the drivetrain can give a jolt if you catch it offguard at slower speeds - again in Central London around or below 20mph. I put it in Efficiency which calms the throttle response down a bit but the rest is still a tiny bit aggressive for 20mph city driving.

Beyond that it's an amazing car - haven't put any serious mileage on it yet but so far seems well put together and apart from them cheaping out on my two rear USB-C's (apparently supposed to be standard on the Vorsprung) the lift in cabin quality compared to an S3 is noticeable which is good but I guess if I hadn't been in that before I'd have been slightly underwhelmed by the quality compared to older Audi's I've seen which have really nice interiors.

MMI has already had a faff around sending me updated settings twice when I've started the car for no reason now, hope that sorts itself out - am on software 3691 not sure what everyone else is on but it's a few bumps up from what my S3 was on.

Ride is nice in comfort mode which is cool haven't tried it on any other setting - the user manual is for the normal A3 so doesn't say anything about any of the RS3 modes or what they all specifically are for which is what it is I guess!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Alright Guys,

My first RS3 that I've been in and just had a few questions about it for those who are in the know better than me;

- Does the exhaust (sports exhaust as car is a vorsprung)/engine sound toggle between subdued/automatic/pronouced actually do anything at lower speeds? Below 4000rpm I can't hear any change between the settings and the exhaust for just doing 20mph in stop/start around London seemed a little bit too loud, I guess on the other end it's probably too quiet so I guess you can't have it both ways!

- Does the gearbox/drivetrain/brakes seem a bit not-smooth in slower speed, I see people have talked about it on older cars but not the 8Y? Gears 1/2/3 when you're going slow are a bit jolty and the drivetrain can give a jolt if you catch it offguard at slower speeds - again in Central London around or below 20mph. I put it in Efficiency which calms the throttle response down a bit but the rest is still a tiny bit aggressive for 20mph city driving.

Beyond that it's an amazing car - haven't put any serious mileage on it yet but so far seems well put together and apart from them cheaping out on my two rear USB-C's (apparently supposed to be standard on the Vorsprung) the lift in cabin quality compared to an S3 is noticeable which is good but I guess if I hadn't been in that before I'd have been slightly underwhelmed by the quality compared to older Audi's I've seen which have really nice interiors.

MMI has already had a faff around sending me updated settings twice when I've started the car for no reason now, hope that sorts itself out - am on software 3691 not sure what everyone else is on but it's a few bumps up from what my S3 was on.

Ride is nice in comfort mode which is cool haven't tried it on any other setting - the user manual is for the normal A3 so doesn't say anything about any of the RS3 modes or what they all specifically are for which is what it is I guess!

Thanks!
Never heard anyone say the exhaust is 'a little too loud' on these cars. In the dynamic/RS modes there is more noise pumped into the cabin virtually but even this is severely limited.

Gearbox/Drivetrain can be a little jerky, a little more so over the two S3s I've had previously (8V and 8Y) but you get used to it and compared to the gfs 128ti which is awful - i'm not actually sure how it was allowed to leave the factory like that, the difference is night and day.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
On the first two points:

The sound settings in the MMI do not adjust the exhaust, only engine sound. Mode adjustment affects the exhaust, but this is from the exhaust itself (flap position).

As for the gearbox/noise, yes I've noticed that it's a bit clunky at low speed and when applying and lifting offf the throttle you can here a very quiet almost clunk type sound.

Never heard anyone say the exhaust is 'a little too loud' on these cars. In the dynamic/RS modes there is more noise pumped into the cabin virtually but even this is severely limited.

Gearbox/Drivetrain can be a little jerky, a little more so over the two S3s I've had previously (8V and 8Y) but you get used to it and compared to the gfs 128ti which is awful - i'm not actually sure how it was allowed to leave the factory like that, the difference is night and day.

Wouldn’t say it’s too loud lol it’s just a bit on the loud side when running around in stop and start in London would be nice if it was a little bit quieter in the quiet modes but I’m guessing that’s not an option.

Yeah I’ve noticed at lower speeds again just 20 mph London driving the gearbox makes weird clunky shifts in the first three gears and the drivetrain if you catch it at the wrong time does a few weird clunks as well. The brake pedal is a bit sudden as well but I’m guessing that will change as they bed in more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the first two points:

The sound settings in the MMI do not adjust the exhaust, only engine sound. Mode adjustment affects the exhaust, but this is from the exhaust itself (flap position).

As for the gearbox/noise, yes I've noticed that it's a bit clunky at low speed and when applying and lifting offf the throttle you can here a very quiet almost clunk type sound.

Oh so the sound settings don’t change the valve operation at all just the piped in noise? Was wondering why I couldn’t really tell any difference between the three settings at all below 3500rpm!

Even subdued/auto/pronounced in individual, comfort and efficiency mode all sound the same and the manual is very vague about exhaust noise but i haven’t really gone above 3500-3800rpm as car is still newish!

Yeah thanks I’m guessing it’s just a characteristic of the car - hoping as the brakes loosen up they’ll be a bit better. S3 gearbox was too tame and this one is too severe - drivetrain clunks happened on the S3 too but this one seems a bit louder and it’s only when you catch it off guard from what I’ve seen so far.

Thanks!

Oh so the sound settings don’t change the valve operation at all just the piped in noise? Was wondering why I couldn’t really tell any difference between the three settings at all below 3500rpm!

Even subdued/auto/pronounced in individual, comfort and efficiency mode all sound the same and the manual is very vague about exhaust noise but i haven’t really gone above 3500-3800rpm as car is still newish!

Yeah thanks I’m guessing it’s just a characteristic of the car - hoping as the brakes loosen up they’ll be a bit better. S3 gearbox was too tame and this one is too severe - drivetrain clunks happened on the S3 too but this one seems a bit louder and it’s only when you catch it off guard from what I’ve seen so far.

Thanks!

Yeah, from a run I did with the Mrs switching sound settings without me looking there was no increase or decrease in exhaust noise in any mode or setting.
The only noise that does change is the above 4000rpm engine/induction noise. Even that to be honest is only mildly enhanced, so it's not like it's being overly done like on some cars.

Yeah, from a run I did with the Mrs switching sound settings without me looking there was no increase or decrease in exhaust noise in any mode or setting.
The only noise that does change is the above 4000rpm engine/induction noise. Even that to be honest is only mildly enhanced, so it's not like it's being overly done like on some cars.

Got it at least I know the settings are mostly useless.

Do you know if the valves/exhausts operate quieter in efficiency than say comfort mode?

Also in RS Individual are they set to operate at the same level as Dynamic even though you could in theory set that mode up as a comfort plus type mode?

It's hard to tell what the valves are doing tbh, in sports modes they will open at idle but close as soon as a gear is selected,

Yeah and RSt3ve is right I reread the online manual and engine sound doesn’t mention the exhausts at all.

Then again I can’t hear any pumped in sound either but I haven’t really gone about 3500/3800rpm yet so maybe it changes things higher in the rev range

319d166c414452946cb87c32d1815dfe.jpg

With stop start every time the engine restarts I think the valves open which seems like a strange design choice - once on startup would be fine!

Then there’s just no manual control of the exhaust sound - I’d love to understand the exhaust noise in relation to all the drive profiles - efficiency, comfort and RS individual (with all set to comfort/subdued/efficiency) all sound pretty much the same to me!

Does the sports exhaust in the Vorsprung naturally come louder than the standard exhaust? Do both types of exhaust have the valves?

Will see what I can find out as the manual is very vague around this stuff

Yeah and RSt3ve is right I reread the online manual and engine sound doesn’t mention the exhausts at all.

Then again I can’t hear any pumped in sound either but I haven’t really gone about 3500/3800rpm yet so maybe it changes things higher in the rev range

With stop start every time the engine restarts I think the valves open which seems like a strange design choice - once on startup would be fine!

Then there’s just no manual control of the exhaust sound - I’d love to understand the exhaust noise in relation to all the drive profiles - efficiency, comfort and RS individual (with all set to comfort/subdued/efficiency) all sound pretty much the same to me!

Does the sports exhaust in the Vorsprung naturally come louder than the standard exhaust? Do both types of exhaust have the valves?

It would be interesting to know the differences between the standard exhaust and sports. I opted for the sports to avoid any loss of sounds but we really don't know if this is the case. At £900 you would hope it is more than black tips.

To be perfectly honest even You tube back to back exhaust video's with the likes of Miltek show, or sound very little difference once changed

Reactions: 3vans, 8YARWY and DangerMouseUK
To be perfectly honest even You tube back to back exhaust video's with the likes of Miltek show, or sound very little difference once changed

I was switching between subdued / pronounced this morning on the way into work, couldn’t detect any meaningful change in sound.

Reactions: RSt3ve and DangerMouseUK
That has to rank up there as one of the worst sales videos going. I listened again with headphones on and it still confirms that Audi have extracted a lot from the sports exhaust system. OPF or not, aftermarket exhausts usually add a fair bit and a lot more than that.

They still need to do a dyno or drive by comparison though, but judging by the comments and my own thoughts, people will take a lot of convincing now that the sub par comparison has been done.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, 8YARWY and 3vans
I was switching between subdued / pronounced this morning on the way into work, couldn’t detect any meaningful change in sound.

Yeah I couldn't tell any difference at all and even between Comfort/Efficiency/RS Individual (with all three engine toggles) & drivetrain in comfort or efficiency in that mode as still running it in a bit.

Done a bit of digging and the UK press release from this page;

"For the first time, the exhaust system features a fully variable flap control system that supports intermediate positions, thus broadening the sound characteristics even further. It can be adjusted via the driving dynamics system Audi drive select. In the Dynamic and RS Performance modes, for example, the flaps open much earlier – the emotional elements of the sound are even more pronounced. In addition, the unmistakable sound of the five-cylinder engine is further enhanced by the optional RS sports exhaust system."

I've noticed the press release tells me more about my car than the manual does !!!

Reactions: 8YARWY
For what its worth, on the exhaust/sound subject. I thought I was going a bit mad.

After I got mine, i thought I will set up RS Individual and that will be the default fun mode for me for a good drive. The engine was set to Pronounced. But there doesn't seem to be any increase in noise. Switching to Dynamic gives noise but then back to RS Individual goes quiet again.

Ok, don't laugh but my beginner DSG dissatisfaction was removed once I clicked the gear lever back and it changed to Sport, then we had some fun. (trouble is my brain thought I should then push it forward to get back to Drive....and a N appears on the screen, Ooops. I think I have the correct operation now.

I've put it into RS Performance a couple of times (briefly) (as @billymc92 or @Keano04 said) put it into RS Performance mode and all hell breaks lose. Never thought to use paddles to change up but accelerated to 60 and the engine was roaring away with it in 4th, I thought I need to get into a sensible mode again.

Reactions: billymc92 and DangerMouseUK
Yeah I couldn't tell any difference at all and even between Comfort/Efficiency/RS Individual (with all three engine toggles) & drivetrain in comfort or efficiency in that mode as still running it in a bit.

Done a bit of digging and the UK press release from this page;

"For the first time, the exhaust system features a fully variable flap control system that supports intermediate positions, thus broadening the sound characteristics even further. It can be adjusted via the driving dynamics system Audi drive select. In the Dynamic and RS Performance modes, for example, the flaps open much earlier – the emotional elements of the sound are even more pronounced. In addition, the unmistakable sound of the five-cylinder engine is further enhanced by the optional RS sports exhaust system."

I've noticed the press release tells me more about my car than the manual does !!!

Yeah I read that when it was first released.

The flaps are moving depending on engine load / throttle input and probably influenced by a drive mode too.

Yeah I read that when it was first released.

The flaps are moving depending on engine load / throttle input and probably influenced by a drive mode too.

Yeah just wish there was a definitive guide somewhere about what the flaps are doing in which modes as the manual has nothing and the press release has almost nothing lol.

The most annoying thing is the flaps seem to partially/fully re-open for a stop/start restart. So in Central London you can have it doing a loud restart every 20-30 seconds if you’re just driving around in traffic which is basically everywhere.

I can understand they open the valves when the engine first gets turned on to maybe warm the cats up quicker but when it’s at operating temperature they should have coded it so the valves stay shut on stop/start engine restarts . . .

Hoping that’s an oversight and it gets fixed in a software update sooner or later - seems like it would be an easy software fix.

R8 was similar but with flaps either open or closed, open at idle then closed from (memory) at 20 mph before re opening at any full throttle or 4500rpm, but vacuum operated so a quick pipe removal and a couple of blanks and all was good :)

Golf R was selectable in 'Individual' and they stayed open as well

One other minor thing I’ve noticed, if i have car in efficiency mode and turn it off, it comes back on in efficiency mode but when you put it in gear it puts it into Drive and not Efficiency for the drivetrain - so you have to go back into driving modes and press Efficiency again to get it to change the drivetrain to match the mode - pretty minor though in the grand scheme of things - can’t remember if my S3 remembered the drivetrain to match the driving profile or not for Efficiency mode …

Small other thing I’ve noticed - there’s a few rattles and crackles from the pan roof - which is strange as my S3 which had a pan roof was silent inside.

Wonder if they switched glass manufacturer due to pandemic/war or just mine was a bit out of spec?

Not super loud so can live with it just didn’t expect any interior noises from an Audi.

Anyone had a slightly noisy roof with any tips? Used to use gummi pflege on the rubber seals on other cars but not sure that’s the issue here.

One other minor thing I’ve noticed, if i have car in efficiency mode and turn it off, it comes back on in efficiency mode but when you put it in gear it puts it into Drive and not Efficiency for the drivetrain - so you have to go back into driving modes and press Efficiency again to get it to change the drivetrain to match the mode - pretty minor though in the grand scheme of things - can’t remember if my S3 remembered the drivetrain to match the driving profile or not for Efficiency mode …

WTF is efficiency mode ? :blink: :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: AndyVWR, Southall87, 3vans and 1 other person
Looool in Central London it makes the throttle pedal more liveable lol

Wouldn’t think of using it usually but Drive is a bit too lively for 20mph driving!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I played around with modes whilst travelling down the A50 with cruise set just to see what difference it made to mpg, I couldnt detect any difference swapping between Efficiency and Auto, but swapping to either Individual or Performance knocked about 3-5 mpg off the mpg meter, repeatable as well :)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and DangerMouseUK
Oh that’s good to know

All I know is the Efficiency gearbox mode that activated with the Efficiency drive mode has a nice smooth throttle for city driving - the standard Drive mode is a tiny bit too lively for 20mph areas!

Ironic as the S3 8Y in Standard Drive gearbox mode was almost like a deadweight - you’d have to push the accelerator half way down to get it to even move with any sort of speed!

Took car out for a better blast outside London and it was much better in 30-40mph speedlimits and above it behaves a lot better.
Hopefully it's also just loosening up a bit.

The Engine Sounds does work for 3000rpm+ it's actually quite pronouced the change that comes from the front so I'm guessing it's just a sound actuator somewhere in the front of the car to create fake induction noise or maybe even just let more sound in from the engine bay somehow? Who knows.

The efficiency drive selector thing is only slightly annoying and obviously out of town it doesn't stop/start so you don't have to hear the loud restarts every 30 seconds so was a much more enjoyable drive.

Pano Roof is a little bit noisy - has anyone had that on any 8Y A3s before and got an idea on a fix?

Here's a side shot from the jetwash after a quick pre-rinse - sorry my photos are a bit crap.

Attachments

• RS3.jpeg
    RS3.jpeg
    853.3 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: 3vans, RS03???, kayemill and 1 other person
Small other thing I’ve noticed - there’s a few rattles and crackles from the pan roof - which is strange as my S3 which had a pan roof was silent inside.

Wonder if they switched glass manufacturer due to pandemic/war or just mine was a bit out of spec?

Not super loud so can live with it just didn’t expect any interior noises from an Audi.

Anyone had a slightly noisy roof with any tips? Used to use gummi pflege on the rubber seals on other cars but not sure that’s the issue here.

Not had a single noise from my pan roof

Must just be mine then - never had it on previous 8Y S3 so guessing it’s just a bad spec pane of glass or robots didn’t fit it right - who knows.

One other question for anyone on this thread, if you know what it is/could check for me that would be cool.

Was driving around in first gear looking for a parking spot today with my foot not on the pedal so with the car just moving forward slowly and the car was making a weird clacking type noise coming from what seems like the engine bay.

Is that normal? Does anyone know what it is?

Wasn’t that loud just sounded weird, stopped when engine turned off or when you revved it a bit more.

I have a feeling it might be DSG related but not sure.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hmmm…….

Only ‘clacking’ noise I’ve noticed is when reversing it in the garage and I can hear the exhaust valves moving.

Sounds like it’s coming from the front in mine, it’s very faint from in front of the steering wheel or back of the engine bay towards where dash is.

It’s only a very faint tapping type noise when you’re just crawling forwards without your foot on the accelerator.

Can’t really figure it out tbh! Hopefully it’s nothing though!

If you park your car in the garage and are in the vicinity of your car for 20 minutes or so it doesnt half make some funny clicking whirring noises as it operates things after shut down

If you park your car in the garage and are in the vicinity of your car for 20 minutes or so it doesnt half make some funny clicking whirring noises as it operates things after shut down

Yup cars have been like this for a while now.

You’ll hear the flaps move too after a while.

I get this Noise when reversing and lightly press the brake.

Yup same noise I get from mine on the odd occasion.

I get the same on mine too when I reverse brake sometimes!

This noise is from inside the dash or the very back of the engine bay next to the dash - from some searching around I have the feeling that because it is literally only when you have your foot off the accelerator and the car is moving forwards with low revs its something like the EVAP Canister with a little pump pushing pressure through it as some other TFSI engines do the same thing - will try and get a sound recording of it, but if it's as designed then I'm not too bothered.

I've been back and forth about 5 times now with Audi Digital UK on this stupid updated settings prompt I'm continuously getting - they're no closer to solving it even though they did some sort of remote reset after 4 emails back and forth which did nothing at all. After a week or so of ignoring the prompt it just logs you out and says you haven't been using the car!!

This noise is from inside the dash or the very back of the engine bay next to the dash - from some searching around I have the feeling that because it is literally only when you have your foot off the accelerator and the car is moving forwards with low revs its something like the EVAP Canister with a little pump pushing pressure through it as some other TFSI engines do the same thing - will try and get a sound recording of it, but if it's as designed then I'm not too bothered.

I've been back and forth about 5 times now with Audi Digital UK on this stupid updated settings prompt I'm continuously getting - they're no closer to solving it even though they did some sort of remote reset after 4 emails back and forth which did nothing at all. After a week or so of ignoring the prompt it just logs you out and says you haven't been using the car!!

The brake noise sounds like ‘rub’ you can get when the pad is still slightly touching the disc.
Could be down to the fact the pads are virtually brand new, so there’s very little room at the moment for them to back off.

I think I know the noise you are talking about now.

I think it’s to do with the electronic brake servo, I’ve just been out in the car and there’s I noticed when parking up there’s a tick type noise when manoeuvring into a parking spot.

Mine has stopped doing this now having done it most times when on the turn reversing into the drive.
Think the pads have just settled home now following a bit more spirited driving.

Mine has stopped doing this now having done it most times when on the turn reversing into the drive.
Think the pads have just settled home now following a bit more spirited driving.
Good to know a lot of people are getting it or had it. I thought It was something to do with it being new. Cheers