A few issues since my Audi service

WelshWoody83

Reaction score
Hello,
Bit of a shout out for help please.
I took my car to Audi for a service a few weeks ago as part of my finance deal it was "Free" and at the same time they did a software update to the car. Its an A3 8V 2017 sallon.

Since I had it back my reverse camera no longer showed up, but using VCDS I have re-coded it and its working.

I had a flat tyre and then I got a solid TPMS sign in the dash display, even after I pumped it up and reset the values it wouldn't go away. I coded it away with VCDS as it said I had TPMS installed so I said I didn't. I let a different tyre down and drove a few streets and it alerted me of the flat tyre which I pumped back up and reset via the menu on the screen and its been fine since so Im not sure if it thought it had 2 different types of pressure monitor systems installed?

My passenger side mirror no longer folds out when I start the car, I have to set the switch to fold them in and then put it back to the 12 o`clock position and they both fold out flawlessly.
The drivers side has no issue at all, it folds in when I lock it and out when I start the car. The passenger side folds in when I lock it but then not back out. Yet it works perfectly from the switch, it doesn't stick, creak or anything, it just works.

My headlight washers no longer work either, I never used to intentionally use them anyway but now they just don`t work. I used to see the little puffs of mist either side of my bonnet every so often when using the wipers if I held them rather than the quick pull back of the stick. I set up a tripod on with my camera and went through a hell of a lot of fluid trying to see if they worked, and they don`t. I tried with the headlights on full and dipped, they are Xenon headlights too.

Lastly I had to re ad my phone to the car as it was as if it had not connected to it before. I thought this was strange as other things like my stored and previous sat-nav destinations were still there so this may just have been a "glitch".

I tried to contact them multiple times about this, the people on the desk transfer me to service after I've told them the issue, that goes to an answer machine where I attempt to leave a message, you press 0 to save and send and hey presto the mailbox is full.

I had an email saying the MOT is due and for £49.99 they would cover any MOT failures up to £750 so I went in and asked, bringing up that only a few weeks ago everything worked until I had my car seen to. I asked if they would fix what they broke in the service or fix it under the MOT guarantee. I was told by a manager that all the things stopping working on the day of the service was a coincidence and that I have to pay £144 just for diagnostics before they even try to fix the issues.

I`m not a stingey person but I don`t see why I have to pay for it? There`s no point in lying about these things as if I had broken it somehow I would pay to fix it.

They still haven't fixed my leaking back windows that I`ve been complaining about since a few days into ownership whilst I had 6 months warranty remaining and that`s nearly 2 years ago now after speaking to Stoke Audi where I bought it, Bridgend Audi being my closest dealer and Audio head office.

I`m ranting and going off course now. I have looked through everything I can find and cant find a fix to my problem. I have a scan of my car that I will copy and paste below, Im hoping its a coding issue for both the mirror and the headlight washers as that is all I have left to get working again. I know the MOT needs the headlight washers.

If anyone could have a read and possibly help me out that would be great.

As I said, I have VCDS I bought 4 Audi`s ago and have done coding on them all, I`m not an expert, just follow the guides but I`m properly stumped now!

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Attachments

• Log-FV17.txt
    18.4 KB · Views: 88
As much as you want things sorted and the dealers are not playing ball I’d resist doing anymore coding. If it does go back in they could pick this up and lay the blame for faults at your feet.

Personally I’d contact trading standards and Audi HQ again, and directly contact the manager of the dealership that did the update. Did you report the faults asap?

My dealership are a pita to get hold of. I just go on now as there’s nowhere for them to hide.

Reactions: WelshWoody83
Hello,
Bit of a shout out for help please.
I took my car to Audi for a service a few weeks ago as part of my finance deal it was "Free" and at the same time they did a software update to the car. Its an A3 8V 2017 sallon.

Since I had it back my reverse camera no longer showed up, but using VCDS I have re-coded it and its working.

I had a flat tyre and then I got a solid TPMS sign in the dash display, even after I pumped it up and reset the values it wouldn't go away. I coded it away with VCDS as it said I had TPMS installed so I said I didn't. I let a different tyre down and drove a few streets and it alerted me of the flat tyre which I pumped back up and reset via the menu on the screen and its been fine since so Im not sure if it thought it had 2 different types of pressure monitor systems installed?

My passenger side mirror no longer folds out when I start the car, I have to set the switch to fold them in and then put it back to the 12 o`clock position and they both fold out flawlessly.
The drivers side has no issue at all, it folds in when I lock it and out when I start the car. The passenger side folds in when I lock it but then not back out. Yet it works perfectly from the switch, it doesn't stick, creak or anything, it just works.

My headlight washers no longer work either, I never used to intentionally use them anyway but now they just don`t work. I used to see the little puffs of mist either side of my bonnet every so often when using the wipers if I held them rather than the quick pull back of the stick. I set up a tripod on with my camera and went through a hell of a lot of fluid trying to see if they worked, and they don`t. I tried with the headlights on full and dipped, they are Xenon headlights too.

Lastly I had to re ad my phone to the car as it was as if it had not connected to it before. I thought this was strange as other things like my stored and previous sat-nav destinations were still there so this may just have been a "glitch".

I tried to contact them multiple times about this, the people on the desk transfer me to service after I've told them the issue, that goes to an answer machine where I attempt to leave a message, you press 0 to save and send and hey presto the mailbox is full.

I had an email saying the MOT is due and for £49.99 they would cover any MOT failures up to £750 so I went in and asked, bringing up that only a few weeks ago everything worked until I had my car seen to. I asked if they would fix what they broke in the service or fix it under the MOT guarantee. I was told by a manager that all the things stopping working on the day of the service was a coincidence and that I have to pay £144 just for diagnostics before they even try to fix the issues.

I`m not a stingey person but I don`t see why I have to pay for it? There`s no point in lying about these things as if I had broken it somehow I would pay to fix it.

They still haven't fixed my leaking back windows that I`ve been complaining about since a few days into ownership whilst I had 6 months warranty remaining and that`s nearly 2 years ago now after speaking to Stoke Audi where I bought it, Bridgend Audi being my closest dealer and Audio head office.

I`m ranting and going off course now. I have looked through everything I can find and cant find a fix to my problem. I have a scan of my car that I will copy and paste below, Im hoping its a coding issue for both the mirror and the headlight washers as that is all I have left to get working again. I know the MOT needs the headlight washers.

If anyone could have a read and possibly help me out that would be great.

As I said, I have VCDS I bought 4 Audi`s ago and have done coding on them all, I`m not an expert, just follow the guides but I`m properly stumped now!

Thank you in advance,

Chris
Not sure if any help but headlight washers are only supposed to work in cycles as in once when ignition turned on and then if I'm correct every tenth cycle of washer use

this sound similar to when I had a the MMI updated at the dealers. My reverse camera stopped working and the mirror options disappeared.
I just took it as both my mirrors and camera were retrofits and not from factory.
The headlight washers I think defaults to every 7th windscreen wash unless you hold the stalk. this can be updated on vcds to any value. Might be worth checking vcds if it’s installed. some coding could have disabled it.
another thing worth checking is the battery health. Everything can get a bit glitchy when battery struggles to hold charge even though it can start the car. The efb batteries fitted from factory is a bit rubbish. I had mine replaced at 1 year old and it’s not looking good 2 years later, getting random low battery warnings and things like mirrors not unfolding till I start pulling away. Looking at an agm replacement.

As much as you want things sorted and the dealers are not playing ball I’d resist doing anymore coding. If it does go back in they could pick this up and lay the blame for faults at your feet.

Personally I’d contact trading standards and Audi HQ again, and directly contact the manager of the dealership that did the update. Did you report the faults asap?

My dealership are a pita to get hold of. I just go on now as there’s nowhere for them to hide.
I told them I had fixed the camera and tyre pressure system but couldn't do the others. I called the day after the service and probably 4-5 times since without the message getting saved, it was only when I had the MOT reminder that I went in, its all within a couple of weeks though.
I was hoping to get it all done via coding so I could tell them its sorted now, just do the MOT.

Thank you for your advice though.

Not sure if any help but headlight washers are only supposed to work in cycles as in once when ignition turned on and then if I'm correct every tenth cycle of washer use
What I did to try and test them was to start the car, then in all headlight settings other than off I pulled the washer stalk back for about 5 seconds and let go, left it about 10 seconds and pulled it again. I did this about 12 times per light setting as I had read a few different articles on how often it activates. I set up my phone on a tripod to see if it happened, like maybe they deployed but didnt spray but nothing happened at all.

I`m just worried it`ll cause an MOT failure and didnt know what to do as I had only just been complaining they broke it so couldnt then play dumb at the MOT where it may be covered by the guarantee?

this sound similar to when I had a the MMI updated at the dealers. My reverse camera stopped working and the mirror options disappeared.
I just took it as both my mirrors and camera were retrofits and not from factory.
The headlight washers I think defaults to every 7th windscreen wash unless you hold the stalk. this can be updated on vcds to any value. Might be worth checking vcds if it’s installed. some coding could have disabled it.
another thing worth checking is the battery health. Everything can get a bit glitchy when battery struggles to hold charge even though it can start the car. The efb batteries fitted from factory is a bit rubbish. I had mine replaced at 1 year old and it’s not looking good 2 years later, getting random low battery warnings and things like mirrors not unfolding till I start pulling away. Looking at an agm replacement.
Funnily enough I had a new battery about a year ago as I kept getting the low battery warning and after having the alternator and battery tested the battery was at fault. I had the battery replaced and not had a warning since then.
The reverse camera was a retrofit, I did it myself following a guide on here and the part was genuine Audi. This is the second service I have had since fitting it, both times I made them aware I had done the work. The first service didnt disable it but this one did, probably because of the update?
Ill go out and look through the coding again to see if I can see anything obvious.

Thank you.

As others have said, the likely contenders for most of your issues are a dodgy battery or retrofits being wiped from the system during the software update.

What software was updated and was retrofits has the car had (other than reversing camera)? If you bought used from a dealer and the retrofits were already done by a previous owner then you could argue it’s for them to fix.

The headlight washers are an MOT failure and strange they stopped working as it’s not a common retrofit. Could be seized mechanism or leaking pipe as I think they use the water pressure to extend.

Have you had a front end bump at all?

I am continually amazed how some garages deny any knowledge / culpability. That said, retrofits and DIY coding aren’t their problem.

Funnily enough I had a new battery about a year ago as I kept getting the low battery warning and after having the alternator and battery tested the battery was at fault. I had the battery replaced and not had a warning since then.
The reverse camera was a retrofit, I did it myself following a guide on here and the part was genuine Audi. This is the second service I have had since fitting it, both times I made them aware I had done the work. The first service didnt disable it but this one did, probably because of the update?
Ill go out and look through the coding again to see if I can see anything obvious.

Thank you.
That makes sense. As the camera was a retrofit and not from build any updates at the dealer installs the coding from the as built state, not what you have at the time iirc. If it was a dealer fit and registered using ODIS then you wouldn’t have had this problem. @DJAlix is this correct?

the only exception now is if you have purchased a function on demand which is registered with hq.

That makes sense. As the camera was a retrofit and not from build any updates at the dealer installs the coding from the as built state, not what you have at the time iirc. If it was a dealer fit and registered using ODIS then you wouldn’t have had this problem. @DJAlix is this correct?

the only exception now is if you have purchased a function on demand which is registered with hq.
I haven't purchased any function on demand things so hopefully its not that, the only thing I did lose was the Google maps overlay and search feature but I barely used that, I`m not paying £11 odd per month for it either.

I wonder why it wasnt wiped out in my first service?

As others have said, the likely contenders for most of your issues are a dodgy battery or retrofits being wiped from the system during the software update.

What software was updated and was retrofits has the car had (other than reversing camera)? If you bought used from a dealer and the retrofits were already done by a previous owner then you could argue it’s for them to fix.

The headlight washers are an MOT failure and strange they stopped working as it’s not a common retrofit. Could be seized mechanism or leaking pipe as I think they use the water pressure to extend.

Have you had a front end bump at all?

I am continually amazed how some garages deny any knowledge / culpability. That said, retrofits and DIY coding aren’t their problem.
The only retrofit I know of is the camera, I have just been and checked the spare wheel area and there`s no sticker there though, none in my paperwork either like some say with the service books. If I go there, could they print one out for me?

The only retrofit I know of is the camera, I have just been and checked the spare wheel area and there`s no sticker there though, none in my paperwork either like some say with the service books. If I go there, could they print one out for me?

The sticker with the build options of the car I meant.

A service would just check and reset error codes. You’ve just had an update that would have been specific to the original build state of your vehicle.

Just another thought, I also coded in needle sweep and deactivated the start stop system, they werent altered by whatever update Audi did and are still in place?

What software was updated?
I honestly couldn't say. The lady on the service desk told me that it would change my sat nav from Google Maps to the new "Audi Maps" but I haven't noticed any changes.
When I booked my service I was told there was a software update it needed which has led me to where I am now.

If it was an mmi update, as a stab in the dark I guess the rear camera goes through that, hence why the coding was lost. Not too sure what modules have to be coded as I’ve never done it.

Just a slight update, connected the battery to a booster pack today to see if that would make a difference, the passenger mirror still didn't fold out.
I then followed some of the coding guides to retrofit the folding mirrors and did the opposite, so un-coded them.
Drove around a bit, then re-coded them and still the same. It works perfectly from the switch and folds in perfectly. Just wont fold out on ignition.
When it works from the switch it folds out the same speed as the drivers side, no struggle or excess noise, it simply works.
I dont want to fork out for a new folding mirror motor as I dont think its that but still cant figure it out?