Health Check found a few issues...

Wondering Soul

Reaction score
Well, took my S3 in for a complimentary "Health Check" this morning, had a few other things I wanted them to take a look at. Including a slight smell of petrol under the hood occasionally and a slight wheel vibration between 40-55 mph.

A few months ago I had a small fuel leak from a connection just under the engine cover, was sorted during my oil change service. This had since come back with vengeance and was even noticeable as an odour through the AC system ! Turns out it was really rather bad and was leaking down the side of the engine from a sensor connection somewhere (more details when I get the car back next week). Luckily this is covered under warranty, as it would have set me back around £600 if not. The vibration seems to be coming from the tracking being out (again!) and will be done when I get my tires replaced in a couple weeks.

The one thing that sucks about this incident is that they don't have the part for the fuel leak on hand, I have to wait until next Tuesday now as its bank holiday weekend. I've been left with a courtesy car for the duration which is great for my convenience but not a huge fan of the car! 2015 plate A3 Cabriolet 2.0 diesel, such lag on the turbo kicking in compared to the S3 !

Very impressed with the service though, short notice on the car being required for such a long period and was no issue at all for the garage, evaluation was done very quickly on the vehicle and I was informed of all the issues and what was going to be done within a couple hours of dropping it off !

Is the second time I've had a tracking issue on this car though and also have a friend who has had an issue with a fuel leak on the same model! Interestingly, was also informed that there is a recall on this vehicle for a couple breather hoses which they are going to look into to see if mine is affected, hadn't heard anything from them about this until this point !

It sounds like you've been unlucky. However from what you are saying your Audi garage are all over it and dealing with the issue very professionally.

A couple of Audi's ago after collecting my new car I was stranded in the outside line of the M25 when the clutch master cylinder broke. After that incident I had no problems with the car, and I had that car 4.5 years!

On a positive note let's hope the sun comes out so you can put the top down:thrashi:

Reactions: Wondering Soul
not so good with your car.

i have a tdi, take it off eco on drive select, as when i picked up the car after coming from the 140ps into 150ps it was on this mode and i went to my self what have i done as there was a massive lack of power. Going from 300 to 150 or 184 will also make a massive difference.

Interesting about your fuel leak, as my S3 broke down Wednesday evening due to over-fuelling (it's been recovered and at the garage now), but the Audi Assist guy suggested that ther have been a few fuelling issues with S3's, with that connection under the engine cover (if its the same one he pointed out to me, right at the front centre on the top fuel rail, apparently there has been a recent software upgrade for that, whether that's my issue or not don't know, but the plug and holder are really quite loose but seem to tighten up when the car is started. Either way though the garage have yet to diagnose my issue, but it's stilla fuelling problem. Instead as a courtesy car I have a 3-door SB 1.4TFSi manual - which is an interesting drive after the S3, surprisingly quick for a 1.4!

It sounds like you've been unlucky. However from what you are saying your Audi garage are all over it and dealing with the issue very professionally.

A couple of Audi's ago after collecting my new car I was stranded in the outside line of the M25 when the clutch master cylinder broke. After that incident I had no problems with the car, and I had that car 4.5 years!
On a positive note let's hope the sun comes out so you can put the top down:thrashi:
Honestly cannot fault my local Audi garage at all, they have always been right on top of their game when I've needed them! Guess I'm lucky in that sense as I have read some horror stories on here about some peoples local dealerships! Already accidentally put the roof down by reaching blindly to put the handbrake on, held the wrong switch for a few seconds! Ha!

not so good with your car.

i have a tdi, take it off eco on drive select, as when i picked up the car after coming from the 140ps into 150ps it was on this mode and i went to my self what have i done as there was a massive lack of power. Going from 300 to 150 or 184 will also make a massive difference.
Haven't played with drive select in the hire car yet, will have a look when I go into work in a bit! Was obviously expecting a difference, just wasn't expecting the lag to be so prominent!

Interesting about your fuel leak, as my S3 broke down Wednesday evening due to over-fuelling (it's been recovered and at the garage now), but the Audi Assist guy suggested that ther have been a few fuelling issues with S3's, with that connection under the engine cover (if its the same one he pointed out to me, right at the front centre on the top fuel rail, apparently there has been a recent software upgrade for that, whether that's my issue or not don't know, but the plug and holder are really quite loose but seem to tighten up when the car is started. Either way though the garage have yet to diagnose my issue, but it's stilla fuelling problem. Instead as a courtesy car I have a 3-door SB 1.4TFSi manual - which is an interesting drive after the S3, surprisingly quick for a 1.4!
Yeah I think we're talking about the same location under the cover, that's what I had fixed a couple months ago with my oil change service, this time it's the metallic silver device attached to the right of the engine, with the leak coming from some sensor connected underneath!

I had an A1 1.4 TFSI which was very enjoyable and surprisingly quick, was such a beast when I took it for a spirited drive!

Got my car back today (eventually!!). Everything was covered under warranty, needed a new High Pressure Fuel Pump, which for those who care where it is, is the big round silver looking thing on the right side of the engine. Mine was indeed leaking quite badly out of the joint on top, this caused quite a bit of residue to build up on the side of the engine which is what was causing the smell inside the car.

Glad that it's all sorted, also had an oil topup whilst it was in and the car is running beautiful and smooth as ever! Going for a nice drive in the afternoon sun shortly :p

Good result Wondering Soul, mine's still on the operating table, unfortunately the new fuel pump didn't fix mine like it did yours, so they are now awaiting 2 new injectors.....fingers crossed LOL

Wow, new injectors needed huh! How long have you had the car? Hopefully that's all covered under warranty?

New 1 year ago (mid March) and 8k miles only (just serviced 200 miles ago). So it should all be good under warranty !!!!

Well I hope all gets fixed for you! I've had mine just over a year, 1 year and 4 months I think. Clock just ticked over to 14k the other day, but to be fair, I did have a lot of fun in this car during the summer last year, which is where I got all the miles! :p

Be interested to know if the replacement injectors fixes your issue!

I'm so glad that they found the leak. The potential of leaking fuel could of course be fatal.

In fact I was out this morning to be confronted by a telescopic handler coming towards me on a small country road with its engine compartment billowing huge gouts of flame and acrid black smoke. The farmer was still driving it. Thankfully he got out and I dialled 999 to get the fire brigade out.

Christ! I'm so glad that never happened, to think of my car billowing clouds of black smoke makes me feel ill, ha.

This is exactly why they wouldn't release the car back to me when the true extent of the leak was realised, becomes pretty dangerous to drive like that!

( Unless your a crazy farmer! :p )

Christ! I'm so glad that never happened, to think of my car billowing clouds of black smoke makes me feel ill, ha.

This is exactly why they wouldn't release the car back to me when the true extent of the leak was realised, becomes pretty dangerous to drive like that!

( Unless your a crazy farmer! :p )

Yes and your car is petrol unlike the machine I saw earlier. I would suggest you ask them to check the whole fuel system as you've already had one leak. You certainly don't need another!

Yes and your car is petrol unlike the machine I saw earlier. I would suggest you ask them to check the whole fuel system as you've already had one leak. You certainly don't need another!
They carried out a full inspection of the engine bay both before and after a test run that got the car up to operating temperature. Also a little heavy throttle action to put some pressure on the pump and its connected components. All seems good.

Took her out for a spirited drive in the evening sun today, running beautifully!

Sounds like I might have a similar issue!! Guess my chances of a last minute courtesy car are pretty slim!!

Sounds like I might have a similar issue!! Guess my chances of a last minute courtesy car are pretty slim!!
Well my dealer wasn't expecting the need to keep the car originally, so they had only arranged the hire car for that day. As it was a bank holiday the following day and they needed to order in the new part, I suddenly had to keep the hire car for 6 days total!

This was very hassle free for me, didn't need to re-visit the dealer to sign any additional paperwork or anything. Very good service at short notice! Suppose it depends on your local dealer and how flexible they are though!

Reactions: dragon
Been to the dealers this morning. Removed the engine cover and have the same issue, lots of fuel residue around the high pressure fuel pump,

Great service by Hereford Audi again especially as it's a bank holiday weekend. Have a brand new A7 black edition to play with whilst mines being fixed.

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Good to hear it's being sorted! Seems to be a bit of a common problem lately..

A7 Black Edition sounds very nice!

Started to drive like an old man!! Heads up display takes some getting used too.

Had my fuel pump replaced under warranty last week as they found a leak while in for service. Sounds like it's becoming a common issue as it's mentioned on another couple of threads...

I was suspicious about the "complimentary health check" when mine came though the post.
Sounds like it may be another way or avoiding an official recall.....
Maybe I should give the dealer a call.

Got the S3 back this evening. I seem to have a flat spot during acceleration. Could this be caused by a high pressure fuel pump issue?

Last edited:
Not sure really. Maybe an injector issue? I would give the dealer a call when you can!

Well it's nothing to do with the fuel pump, as after 27k miles I need a new clutch. Didn't even give that a thought as I was sure it was linked to the pump issues!!

Well it's nothing to do with the fuel pump, as after 27k miles I need a new clutch. Didn't even give that a thought as I was sure it was linked to the pump issues!!
Christ! Out of interest, do you have a manual or S-Tronic?

And I have to add, regardless of the issues with the vehicle Hereford Audi offer a first class service throughout!! I can't imagine a better level of customer care.

Sounds like you were lucky there then! Having a decent local dealer makes owning the car so much better, when things are sorted quickly and properly with minimum hassle it makes life much easier!

Hope your car gets better soon!

I had an issue with my alarm going off a couple of weeks ago. Phoned up the dealer to report the problem and although they could look at it that day, they had no courtesy car for another couple of weeks. They had a think about it and rang back to say that if they treated it as a recovery they could provide a loan car. So, a phone call then car taken in, loan car provided and fault rectified in 48 hours. Excellent service, including complimentary healthcheck. Only thing was, I declined tbe complimentary wash as I detail the car and I didn't want them scratching the paintwork. However, when I went to collect it, there it was gleaming from the wash they had given it. It's difficult to be angry when some poor devil has made such a lovely job of cleaning the car, but I did expressly ask for it not to be washed, so I was unable to say that I was extremely satisfied, which seems to be the magic words for Audi employees.

Shocking reading to be honest. Giving in a massive wadge of your hard earned for a spanking new s3 and a fecking HPFP leaks! Or injectors go, or clutch!!!

Shocking stuff to be honest, really do wonder about the quality control in the Audi plants.