grinding noise from wheel arches.

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick question, basically when the cars been sitting on the drive for a while if I get in and drive, when I use full lock either left or right I get a horrible grinding noise which sounds to me like its coming from the top part of the wheel arch it doesn’t sound like the tyres are rubbing it sounds worse.

It’s only just started doing this but only when I first get in the car its fine if I’ve been driving around for a while and use full lock.

Any ideas wot it could be guys, could it be the mounts or suspension?

Thx

Allan

hey thought at least one person would have a clue wot it is! cmon guys dont wanna take it to the garage to get mugged off id rather fix it myslelf.

thanks

If you drive the car around for while does the noise still persist?

Also how do you brakes look?

I know this sounds obvious but is there anything you can see which is touching which shouldn't be?

Hope this helps.

Sounds like it could be a cv joint, these normally have a rubber outer covering which dies and then grit & rubbish get into the joint and cause damage.

ONLY after not driving for a while?

rust on brake discs?

sounds kinda normal(ish) to me if it goes away after braking.

madvw said:
ONLY after not driving for a while?

rust on brake discs?

sounds kinda normal(ish) to me if it goes away after braking.

I thought this too but on full lock I believe the noise is made?

CV joint?

hi thx for the help guys, the brakes and pads are fairly new dont think its them. Its defiently only when i first get in and when its on full lock after 1 min of driving its fine. Strange but it sounds so bad. How can i check the cv joint?

Alright mate i had the same problem with my car! when i turned the wheel to full lockit made a nasty clunking sound but didnt happen all the time so took it to the garage an hour ago put it on the ramp and had a look underneath and checked the suspension and a bit of the suspension coil fell off! (Not good) So found out i need a new front suspension spring!
I dont use my car very often either! ( maybe once a week)
Hope this helps

if the noise goes away after a minute or so then i wouldn't have thought it'd be a CV joint as they don't generally repair themselves, lol, i'd go with rust on the discs.

next time before you get in it have a look at the discs and see if you can see surface rust

i dont understand how rust on disks would cause it to grind on full lock? Last time it was in the garage the bloke told me that these 2 parts in picture looked like they had risen a little bit and were uneven, what are they and how easy to fix?

engine2.jpg

oh and ive developed a rattle underneith, sounds like exhaust or downpipe or maybe heatsheild only does it on bumpy roads or if im 'warming my tyres up' lol. could this be related?

Allan

They're the top of the susprension struts. If they're uneven must mean your top mounts are in pieces (still not sure how they'd end up uneven) could mean wheels hitting inner arches on full lock as the strut has alot of play in it.

ok thx im hoping thats the problem, maybe once i drove off they seem to settle even or something???? anyway probably take it to a garage this week if i have time, wot do you think is the cheapest way to fix this problem? Im pretty skint at the mo!

thx guys