Facelift Observation - Stop / Start

Audi Bairn

Staff member
Reaction score
Right, so I switch off Stop / Start every time I get in the car as a rule.
But on my commute there's currently two sets of roadworks / traffic lights which are the only time I really come to a standstill if the lights are red. So I activate S/S only as I approach them as they can be red for a while.
As has been well recorded on here, the engine usually cuts at around 4 mph.
However, I noticed tonight that the engine only cut out each time at 0 mph like it used to on previous Audi's I've had.
Any ideas?

For me it doesn't always cut out at 4~ mph. Sometimes it cuts out at 0

I'd say the majority of the time it cuts out at 0, I've not figured out what causes the different behaviour though..

No idea, but on the next generation I hope they remove the switch to allow people to disable the feature.

Why’s that then?

To reduce emissions into the atmosphere, a serious problem to health in cities, and to prevent burning fuel that doesn't need to be wasted.

Just my opinion :)

Reactions: cemerson
To reduce emissions into the atmosphere, a serious problem to health in cities, and to prevent burning fuel that doesn't need to be wasted.

I guess for places like London where you sit still more than move it may be more beneficial. Personally I don’t use it but then I also don’t spend a lot of time in traffic thankfully.

But it turning off at 4 mph isn't saving fuel. It just annoys the driver as it makes no sense lol.

I've started turning mine off a lot more frequently now though tbh. It goes on if I think I'm going to be sat somewhere for more than 20/30 seconds.

But on my commute there's currently two sets of roadworks / traffic lights which are the only time I really come to a standstill if the lights are red. So I activate S/S only as I approach them as they can be red for a while.
However, I noticed tonight that the engine only cut out each time at 0 mph like it used to on previous Audi's I've had.
Any ideas?

There are a lot of variables that come into play with S/S. Is your HVAC running AC? This will limit the engine from shutting down until the last possible minute or if at all. There are others factors like 12V battery level and other load amounts on the electrical system but usually HVAC is the most obvious.

Easy way to tell is switch HVAC off prior to those lights and see what speed the engine shuts down at. Cheers

Reactions: Audi Bairn
My stop /start has always switched off at 0 mph/stationary never switches off at 1/2/3/ mph

There are a lot of variables that come into play with S/S. Is your HVAC running AC? This will limit the engine from shutting down until the last possible minute or if at all. There are others factors like 12V battery level and other load amounts on the electrical system but usually HVAC is the most obvious.

Easy way to tell is switch HVAC off prior to those lights and see what speed the engine shuts down at. Cheers

Good shout re AC, I'll experiment further.

Mine always used to stop at the point I needed to go (If you get me) so turned it off with ODBeleven

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nikon and Audi Bairn
My stop /start has always switched off at 0 mph/stationary never switches off at 1/2/3/ mph

Mine too, but the previous generation cars like your S3 PFL and my TT's, A5 and S5 activated at zero mph under normal conditions whereas the new cars like the S3 8V FL and TT Mk3 are 4 mph (subject to "abnormal" conditions).
Generally never use the ****** thing anyway other than the situation above.

Reactions: Tom.H
Mine too, but the previous generation cars like your S3 PFL and my TT's, A5 and S5 activated at zero mph under normal conditions whereas the new cars like the S3 8V FL and TT Mk3 are 4 mph (subject to "abnormal" conditions).
Generally never use the ****** thing anyway other than the situation above.
(some) PFL cars (mine) turn off at 3/4 mph too. Don't know when they changed it but it wasn't when the FL was introduced. Unless mines just faulty :) but my A3 never ever turned off "early" and start stop was enabled all the time.

Mine seems to vary when I do occasionally use it, most of the time it’ll cut out at 0 mph but sometimes at 3/4 ish like others have said. Only ever tend to use S/S in heavy traffic but to be honest I can’t say I’ve ever noticed any difference in fuel economy.

I find start stop in all cars to be a pain when pulling out of busy junctions when you see a small gap you want to go for, it’s that 1/2 second delay in getting going again which you don’t have to consider if it’s disabled. Also, the steering wheel locking up as it turns off annoys me too! :tearsofjoy:

I find start stop in all cars to be a pain when pulling out of busy junctions when you see a small gap you want to go for, it’s that 1/2 second delay in getting going again which you don’t have to consider if it’s disabled. Also, the steering wheel locking up as it turns off annoys me too! :tearsofjoy:
I agree with you, but this very annoying behaviour only affects automatic cars.
Generally speaking start/stop can be infuriating on an automatic, but works in a much more logical and controllable manner with a manual gearbox.

Reactions: Nikon, Bells, KenL and 1 other person
I find it no issue on my auto. If you're just waiting at a junction, you can disable it or put the gearbox in Sport mode (which also disables it), ideal if you need to pull out quickly. In other traffic though it works fine. A sharp tap on the accelerator with your foot will start the car up again before you need to move off which makes it smoother too, but with ACC it starts the engine when it sees the car 2 or 3 in front start moving anyway.

I have no problem with this feature on my manual car and there's no doubt it saves fuel. For info. it seems to stop at 0 miles/hr. However, recently I drove a Golf automatic (which I assume is effectively similar to an Audi) and found the start/stop on it a real nuisance. The engine only restarted when you touched the throttle. There was a distinct and disconcerting lag! Having driven automatic Mercedes with start stop, I'd argue they have a much better system. The engine restarts as you take your foot of the brake and the car immediately starts to creep in the normal way and responds instantly to the throttle. Why VW/Audi don't do this is beyond me.
JS

I have no problem with this feature on my manual car and there's no doubt it saves fuel. For info. it seems to stop at 0 miles/hr. However, recently I drove a Golf automatic (which I assume is effectively similar to an Audi) and found the start/stop on it a real nuisance. The engine only restarted when you touched the throttle. There was a distinct and disconcerting lag! Having driven automatic Mercedes with start stop, I'd argue they have a much better system. The engine restarts as you take your foot of the brake and the car immediately starts to creep in the normal way and responds instantly to the throttle. Why VW/Audi don't do this is beyond me.
JS

That's no good combined with hold assist, which keeps the brake on but lets you take your foot off.

I have no problem with this feature on my manual car and there's no doubt it saves fuel. For info. it seems to stop at 0 miles/hr.
It works perfectly well with a manual car, and will only activate in neutral with clutch raised.
It's on automatics I have a problem with it.....the damn thing stops when you want to go!! I mean how ridiculous is it when in a car park about to reverse into a space and the engine stops!!
Yes there are workarounds as some people mention but that's not the point.
The point is start/stop is quite honestly crap with an automatic gearbox.

It works perfectly well with a manual car, and will only activate in neutral with clutch raised.
It's on automatics I have a problem with it.....the damn thing stops when you want to go!! I mean how ridiculous is it when in a car park about to reverse into a space and the engine stops!!
Yes there are workarounds as some people mention but that's not the point.
The point is start/stop is quite honestly **** with an automatic gearbox.
I agree, works great on our manual S3 yet turned off every time in the 4 which is auto gearbox.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron240
Any ideas?
Get a life and just drive the car too many people on here that have problems of their own making

Get a life and just drive the car too many people on here that have problems of their own making

Ooh get you!
As the title says, an observation not a problem.
Hang on while I check.................... yup...............still have a life :yahoo:

Reactions: Jcbmally, Nikon, RK10 and 6 others
Ooh get you!
As the title says, an observation not a problem.
Hang on while I check.................... yup...............still have a life :yahoo:
Like I have said too many people on here that think they have a problem and then answered by so called experts who think they know it all like you if you read the manual it states that stop start has lots of parameters to meet before it works bet you stress about your mpg

Like I have said too many people on here that think they have a problem and then answered by so called experts who think they know it all like you if you read the manual it states that stop start has lots of parameters to meet before it works bet you stress about your mpg

Hmm, I think you need to get a life mate....I have read many of Audi Bairn's posts and never at any time has he acted as a know it all. Read his post again, as he has noted something which did not occur before with his S3 auto start/stop and he has owned it for about 2 years.
As an aside I can not abide my FL S3 start/stop and turn it off when I start the car and yes I am aware of temperature, brake pressure, S mode etc. which can affect actuation of the start/stop system. The Audi FL S3 start/stop is a finicky animal and at times seems to have a mind of itself at times as to actuation beyond the parameters that are supposed to actuate it.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, RK10, Tom.H and 5 others

Think you’ve misunderstood the point of forums pal, so perhaps you’re in the wrong place. Those on here exchange opinions and experiences and I for one enjoy that. If you don’t like the show, turn over.

Reactions: Bells, Audi Bairn, KenL and 2 others
One of those things that nobody has to worry about ever though as police cuts means that they will never "waste" their time sitting outside schools to see who has the engine on etc..

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Bells
One of those things that nobody has to worry about ever though as police cuts means that they will never "waste" their time sitting outside schools to see who has the engine on etc..
Sorry Officer my engine hasn’t got up to temperature yet so my start stop hasn’t kicked in :tearsofjoy: as you quickly re-enable it haha

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jimbob76 and oli356
Sorry Officer my engine hasn’t got up to temperature yet so my start stop hasn’t kicked in :tearsofjoy: as you quickly re-enable it haha
I couldn't use this excuse, I can drive for 30 seconds and it will kick in! (climate control off as of course in this weather the air con wont be cold in 30 seconds!)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Bells
Have literally just finished reading about these idling fines in the paper.
It's definitely a money making exercise despite what they say.
It will only apply when you are parked at side of the road though, not while in traffic. Also it's only English councils that have signed up to it so far.

More than likely it'll be down to parking wardens, if it ever happens. At the moment, with the way funding for local councils has been pulled, more and more will only be setting a budget just to reach their minimum legal obligation.,.

More than likely it'll be down to parking wardens, if it ever happens.
It has already happened.
It is down to local councils to sign up to and enforce it......but as I said it is purely a money making exercise.