Checked my launch control counter..... OH DEAR!

Will be a fake cable and it won’t work properly. You will have restricted use and it will eventually die. For example, there will be a warning on the packaging to keep the cable off the Internet incase the cable is blocked. It’s likely you’ll be able to scan and log some values but any adaptations (changing settings in the car) will likely fail.

£50 is expensive for a fake cable too. The software is free. You can download VCDS straight from the internet for free, it’s the cable that makes it work. Similar to buying a fake £1 iPhone cable.

In addition, it will be restricted to a single version of VCDS use. There are regular updates to VCDS so you’ll soon have a version outdated.

It’s a case of buy cheap, buy twice. You’re just as well forking out for the genuine thing.

Where was that from I'm getting swoftware and cable for £50 for coding vcds etc

£50 :sadlike:

Why would you risk that on an expensive car ?

Various Ross Tech cables available on the site i posted above from 225-600

You are risking screwing up the cars systems through use of cloned cable/software.

Reactions: Leo-RS and Rob2k68
Does anyone know if this can also be done via OBDeleven?

Had a quick search in 'Transmission 02' using parameters such as: advanced, launch and counter and couldn't see anything relating to a launch control counter. I could have missed something though.

^^^^
Done a bit more digging and it would appear that the information is there under 'Transmission 02' Live Data, but without a Label File and contained within one of the 100 or more Analysis Channels. Apparently its too big a job for the OBD team to label these files as there are so many variables.

I found it no bother under VCDS 18.2.1

Under 02 Auto Trans Advanced measuring and then type in search launch.

Reactions: Pablos007
I found it no bother under VCDS 18.2.1

Under 02 Auto Trans Advanced measuring and then type in search launch.

likewise, its just that GnasherVXR asked if OBDeleven could be used to which the answer is, not at the moment.

Reactions: Leo-RS
There's after sales care so it shouldn't be a problem if it stops hey ho il just buy a genuine one any links

https://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html

£225 for 3 cars
£300 for 10 cars

They’ve only just recently started limiting the use, I’ve had my cable years and it’s unlimited, can use in as many cars as you want.

The fake cables probably won’t do any changes, I’ve used one before, many years ago, a lot of the functions did not work.

You’ll spend £50 and realised you can’t change any settings and then think, I wish I’d spent the £225 now. It is an expensive cost but over the years it works out a very good buy. There’s also good resale cost too so the money is never really wasted.

Reactions: teslaboy
??? Three cars

Yes, on the new cables, they are restricting use to 3 x VIN (£225) or 10 x VIN (£300) - When you connect it to a new a car it asks for permission to use 1 x VIN. When all 3 are used up, the cable is locked to those 3 cars. I guess you can probably send it back to get it unlocked for more £££ or you can buy the 10x VIN cable which would probably do someone for decades. There’s also a professional version that is unlimited but at big cost now.

The old cables are unlimited. Best bet would be to keep an eye out on eBay for an unrestricted older cable. Saying that a 3 VIN cable could potentially do someone 10yrs if you bought 3 back to back VAG cars at 3-4yr periods.

Last edited:
Just buy the unlimited vin cable.

More resale value should you need to sell it on.

Can’t understand the mentality of buying a 3 vin cable as once it’s locked to a chassis number it’s pretty much got no resale value.

Reactions: RS4B5
Just buy the unlimited vin cable.

More resale value should you need to sell it on.

Can’t understand the mentality of buying a 3 vin cable as once it’s locked to a chassis number it’s pretty much got no resale value.

They’ve bumped the price up for the unlimited cable to £450

https://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV2U.html

It used to be £275 for unlimited.

They’ve restructured this to

£450 - Unlimited
£300 - 10
£225 - 3

I guess it’s increased the value of the older original cables.

They’ve bumped the price up for the unlimited cable to £450

https://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV2U.html

It used to be £275 for unlimited.

They’ve restructured this to

£450 - Unlimited
£300 - 10
£225 - 3

I guess it’s increased the value of the older original cables.

Yep I recently changed to the Hex-V2
Over £500 but well worth it.

Much much faster and more modules have label files on too.

But it’s an important tool should one be partial to vag cars.

So guys, as maybe few know 15 days ago my car stoped doing launch . 13000km

Checked counter and 200 Lc is limit on tcu. Aparently every time u activate LC even if u dont release brake and startfrom line car counts :( Very said for this expesnive car.

Anyway Revo sent me tcu flash so will let u know tomorrow how it goes
IMAG3988

Reactions: RS4B5, D0C, Terminator x and 2 others
I have had mine since oct 17 from new and I have done - zero launch controls

Also had my s3, which wife now had from new for 4 years 3 months and I have done - zero launch controls

lol, guess im missing out

Flashed Revo TCU file itbworksssss now i can LC again

Just tip, car doesnt count when u activate LC but u dont take off so it looks i launched car 201 times by now
IMAG3989

Reactions: monopole and billymc92
200 "real" launches is quite something!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kristijan Sabljar
Flashed Revo TCU file itbworksssss now i can LC again

Just tip, car doesnt count when u activate LC but u dont take off so it looks i launched car 201 times by now
View attachment 160673
To clarify Kristijan, if you set up the launch and rev it up, but DO NOT release the brake, it DOES NOT count as a launch??

Really? Did Revo clarify this? That is a lot of launches!

Yes , it will be part of DSG software needed for stg2 which will be in following weeks
To clarify Kristijan, if you set up the launch and rev it up, but DO NOT release the brake, it DOES NOT count as a launch??

Thats correct, NOT RELEASING brake doesnt count on LC counter, only succesfull Launch counts

Now @D0C knows that he will be buzzing all the Corsa owners at every red light ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marshy, D0C, AudiNutta and 2 others
Can anyone shed some light on this lol checked mine earlier ....

20181007_090311.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on this lol checked mine earlier ....

20181007_090311.jpg
29440 launches...a new all comers record.

Not sure how old your car is but even if it's an early 15 plate, that's about 30 launches per day ;)

29440 launches...a new all comers record.

Not sure how old your car is but even if it's an early 15 plate, that's about 30 launches per day ;)

TX did more than 30 a day

Reactions: D0C and Terminator x
Hello to all,

So today I thought I would check my launch control counter using VCDS.

I bought my rs 10 months ago now, 1 owner car late 2016 from Audi with 6000 miles. Car now has 9k miles.

I’ll be honest, I was crapping myself the previous owner probably racked up 1000 launches.........

I was pleasantly surprised to find, drumroll please.............. 12! That’s half a launch a month lol. What are other people’s figures?

Not bad for a nearly 2 year old RS.

Regards

Ashley
Rs3 saloon is a year old, bought from new and has 6k miles and 0 launches
s3 is 4.5 years old, bought from new and has 26k miles and has 0 launches

Lol

Think I’ll have to find somewhere to do one safely

Last edited:
Rs3 saloon is a year old, bought from new and has 6k miles and 0 launches
s3 is 4.5 years old, bought from new and has 26k miles and has 0 launches

Lol

Think I’ll have to find somewhere to do one safely

100%! I only ever actually launch it when I have someone in the car and they're just curious about why I spent over 40 grand on it. Then they start to understand it's not an A3...

Reactions: DW81, Terminator x, oli356 and 1 other person
I'm not doubting there's stress on the drivetrain. But possibly not as much as you think. There's a video somewhere of a 911 turbo doing something like 50 or 100 back to back launches without fail.
Ever seen the Richard Hammond version where’s he’s been a goon in a Porsche and launching it at every opportunity? Funniest thing ever.

Reactions: oli356