Facelift Launch control delay

JamesCrs3

Reaction score
Tried launch control couple of times for the first time and noticed a slight delay after releasing the brake before the car launches. Had my foot firmly planted down on the brake and throttle before releasing the brake. Is this normal? If it is, it's kind of annoying, my Focus RS launch was awesome, as soon as you dumped the clutch you were away.

I tried a launch with traction fully off in the soaking wet with one hand on the wheel, that was pretty crazy haha. What didn't help though was the fact my tyre pressures were reading 48 psi, something I have now corrected. Still don't rate these Pirelli tyres at all.

Last edited:
Tried launch control couple of times for the first time and noticed a slight delay after releasing the brake before the car launches. Had my foot firmly planted down on the brake and throttle before releasing the brake. Is this normal? If it is, it's kind of annoying, my Focus RS launch was awesome, as soon as you dumped the clutch you were away.

I tried a launch with traction fully off in the soaking wet with one hand on the wheel, that was pretty crazy haha. What didn't help though was the fact my tyre pressures were reading 48 psi, something I have now corrected. Still don't rate these Pirelli tyres at all.

Sorry, where was the pause? :lmfao: :lmfao:

I believe the procedure for correct launch is to have the traction control turned OFF.
And the hill start brake.
Works ok on mine.

Sorry, where was the pause? :lmfao: :lmfao:
Haha you can't really notice the delay on the video, it is there though, maybe 0.3 second delay after removing, it's probably normal but I'm used to manual launch control where you directly engage the clutch.

Locked like a good launch from what I see mate especially the one hand on the wheel in the wet, brave man:thumbs up:

Haha you can't really notice the delay on the video, it is there though, maybe 0.3 second delay after removing, it's probably normal but I'm used to manual launch control where you directly engage the clutch.

Definitely normal, no noticeable delay there at all.. I was expecting to see a couple second pause, looks instant to me.

Reactions: JamesCrs3
It should just go like hell, no pause. Audi's launch control is the best in the business.

My GTR used to do a similar thing to what you’re describing... took a fraction of a second to think about it and then the afterburners lit and you were 3 miles down the road 10 seconds later haha

I think the feeling is a lot longer than what it actaully is in real time mate... that’s why in your video you can’t tell anything :icon thumright:

On another note... how do you get the tyre pressures on the dash on the right?

My GTR used to do a similar thing to what you’re describing... took a fraction of a second to think about it and then the afterburners lit and you were 3 miles down the road 10 seconds later haha

I think the feeling is a lot longer than what it actaully is in real time mate... that’s why in your video you can’t tell anything :icon thumright:

Yeah you are probably right, let me know how yours is after you have tried a launch since you will be able to compare vs dumping clutch on the focus rs. It definately isn't a long delay maybe 0.3 of a second but I was just expecting it to go the instant I released the brake. For a standard car I have to say this thing is honestly brutal.

To pick what display you want on the right you bring up the sports displays on the left then hit the ok button on the steering wheel and it should bring up a list of what you would like to display on yhe right hand side. (I think)

Reactions: Phil3
Yeah you are probably right, let me know how yours is after you have tried a launch since you will be able to compare vs dumping clutch on the focus rs. It definately isn't a long delay maybe 0.3 of a second but I was just expecting it to go the instant I released the brake. For a standard car I have to say this thing is honestly brutal.

To pick what display you want on the right you bring up the sports displays on the left then hit the ok button on the steering wheel and it should bring up a list of what you would like to display on yhe right hand side. (I think)

I will do mate... it’ll be next week now as it off to the detainees tomorrow for the weekend

Ahh I’ll have to have a fiddle... I’ve been finding something new in it everyday haha... I’ve got the say the interior is mighty impressive compared to other cars I’ve owned or been in

I will do mate... it’ll be next week now as it off to the detainees tomorrow for the weekend

Ahh I’ll have to have a fiddle... I’ve been finding something new in it everyday haha... I’ve got the say the interior is mighty impressive compared to other cars I’ve owned or been in
It's unreal isn't it, feels super expensive, just the way the buttons click on the steering wheel and the responsiveness of the VC is awesome. Mines been away since monday, collecting friday, this week is dragging....!

Reactions: Phil3
It's unreal isn't it, feels super expensive, just the way the buttons click on the steering wheel and the responsiveness of the VC is awesome. Mines been away since monday, collecting friday, this week is dragging....!

I’m away for a weekend in Berlin while mines getting done so at least it won’t seem as long haha

Reactions: JamesCrs3
Those paddle extenders are hideous and stupid.

Reactions: Jonny B, teslaboy, oli356 and 1 other person

If you have full tpms you can cycle through the various displays with the wheel until it comes up.

I know this is slightly off topic but why is it so hard to get a smooth but hard launch off the line without using launch control? It always seems to jitter like a new driver letting off the clutch quickly in a manual car...

I know this is slightly off topic but why is it so hard to get a smooth but hard launch off the line without using launch control? It always seems to jitter like a new driver letting off the clutch quickly in a manual car...

ive never noticed this from just booting it?

It all depends how you apply your right foot.
Foot flat to the floor doesn't always work !

Reactions: AudiNutta
I've found the s-tronic mapping in my FL to be a bit strange time to time. It does stupid stuff that my 8p rs3 never did.
For example, I did a kick down a couple of days ago in auto/comfort and it took 1-2 sec for it to react. Then the traction control light started to blink and got a very slow acceleration. This was on a dry, straight road at about 50 miles/h.
Never done it before or after.

I've found the s-tronic mapping in my FL to be a bit strange time to time. It does stupid stuff that my 8p rs3 never did.
For example, I did a kick down a couple of days ago in auto/comfort and it took 1-2 sec for it to react. Then the traction control light started to blink and got a very slow acceleration. This was on a dry, straight road at about 50 miles/h.
Never done it before or after.

Funnily enough I said half an hour ago that these gearboxes are far from perfect, they do strange things. Mine was lumpy and jerking to a hold just now crawling into McDonald’s in second gear like it couldn’t engage.

Reactions: KKOG
Hmm, might be because I'm half arsing it as its only got a couple hundred miles on:suspicion:

Nope, mine does it still at 4500, although having hill hold assist on does hinder it slightly. As Audinutta said, these boxes are far from perfect (consistently) and I get the strange jolting in 2nd sometimes also. A lot of minor issues building up into making me think of not getting another Audi!
Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my car, but it really is a joke spending £50k and having so many issues and common, easily repairable issues at that.

Nope, mine does it still at 4500, although having hill hold assist on does hinder it slightly. As Audinutta said, these boxes are far from perfect (consistently) and I get the strange jolting in 2nd sometimes also. A lot of minor issues building up into making me think of not getting another Audi!
Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my car, but it really is a joke spending £50k and having so many issues and common, easily repairable issues at that.

I’m a huge Audi follower always have been, but in turning my nose up to them... so much niggly rubbish and the dealers are a waste of space.

Reactions: zaka7
I’m a huge Audi follower always have been, but in turning my nose up to them... so much niggly rubbish and the dealers are a waste of space.

Same here, losing faith rather rapidly. No doubting this is a phenomenal car. But if i was to spend £50k plus again would I get something else. Yes.

Same here, losing faith rather rapidly. No doubting this is a phenomenal car. But if i was to spend £50k plus again would I get something else. Yes.

+1.

It’s an awesome car let down by cheaply manufactured parts and methods, which are supported by a flawed network of numpties.

My next favourite brand is VW, but they don’t have anything that is on the RS3 level... which would see me down the BMW route. But many years away as I’m stuck with the RS3 and it’s simple flaws for now.

Just waiting for the day I see flaking tips again, having to drive differently to avoid squealing brakes and despite having my discs professionally painted they are still rusting!!! After being told by the local dealer that my Haldex problems are normal I find myself travelling back up country to get the supplying dealer to drive it, wheels are in motion for that. I’ve been told by a technician with sense that it sounds everything but normal. I’m driving my car differently to stop the engine bogging down when the rear wheels kick in, PITA!

Reactions: zaka7
+1.

It’s an awesome car let down by cheaply manufactured parts and methods, which are supported by a flawed network of numpties.

My next favourite brand is VW, but they don’t have anything that is on the RS3 level... which would see me down the BMW route. But many years away as I’m stuck with the RS3 and it’s simple flaws for now.

Just waiting for the day I see flaking tips again, having to drive differently to avoid squealing brakes and despite having my discs professionally painted they are still rusting!!! After being told by the local dealer that my Haldex problems are normal I find myself travelling back up country to get the supplying dealer to drive it, wheels are in motion for that. I’ve been told by a technician with sense that it sounds everything but normal. I’m driving my car differently to stop the engine bogging down when the rear wheels kick in, PITA!
I would go back to the place that 'professionally' painted your hubs that are now rusting. Plenty of people on here have had theirs painted, some by themselves, and they haven't rusted through. Sounds like a poor job.

Reactions: T-800 and DW81
+1.

Porsche Cayman S, AMG A45 or M2 for me next I think.

+1.

Exactly my thoughts too. Came from a Golf R and I have to say, although it's a lot cheaper and looks it in places too, I had zero issues and the DSG box in those are miles better than these s tronic boxes. Thinking of going down the BMW route myself as well, after I've handed the RS3 back in a few years time.

DSG and S-Tronic are exactly the same. I think it's more the 7-speed DQ-500 version that the RS3 uses that's the problem. I've also had the 6-speed DSG in the Golf R and agree it is smoother.

Reactions: AB RS3
+1 the stronic 6 speed in my TTS was very smooth too.

I would go back to the place that 'professionally' painted your hubs that are now rusting. Plenty of people on here have had theirs painted, some by themselves, and they haven't rusted through. Sounds like a poor job.

'Professionally' painted..........:sadlike:

Nearly fell off me chair laughing............

Only way is to sort out yerself.........

Yes RS3's have niggles..................what cars don't....

Reactions: DW81 and D0C

It’s ridiculous isn’t it? You’d think Audi would be all over keeping us happy... this is the majority of the forum saying this.

Already ahead of you on that and without issue have agreed to paint them again and bake them harder this time. My fronts are perfect, the rears are just chipped and rusting through on the chips.

They were booked in to be done this week and the bodyshop remove them, but I had second thoughts about the car sat in the bodyshop so will at some point nearer to the good weather have to front up some money to have them removed again and the car stored away from the bodyshop.... I’m in no rush really.