CarPlay head unit, steering wheel buttons and questions

MrBCODC87

Reaction score
Hi guys

Has any one installed an Apple CarPlay installed?

I just have a few questions about it.

Firstly where did you have the usb cable come out for your phone. I would like to have go through the centre console and into the compartment in the arm rest but I don’t think that would be possible so trying to get a few ideas where to have but keep out the way.

Secondly with the adapter that enables the steering wheel controls what functionality does it give you? I have a concert radio at the minute and it’s always on aux so apart from the volume they are useless. Can you use the voice key to activate siri and do both scrollers, scroll clicks, mode and voice have functions or can the been assigned depending on you head unit?

Third is the any possibility to have info from the head unit integrate and show info on the dash computer the way an oem Audi rns-e would? Is and rns-e head u it better than a CarPlay head unit?

I am thinking of getting either a

sony xav-ax5000
Or
pioneer da230dab (my car does not have dab though)

Does any one have any experience with these or the previous generation of the models or any suggestions that are better

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use Apple, so my experience is not based on Car Play, but I have fitted an aftermarket Android unit in place of my RNS-E and here are my findings.

Running a cable to the armrest would involve quite a bit of work. I removed my in car kit from the arm rest and I was unable to remove the cables fitted by Audi, I had to cut them out. The gap is extremely narrow and tight as it bends around the hinge area. You could possibly do it if you took the armrest apart, but I can't see that being worth the effort.
I ended up getting the 'ash tray delete' and put my phone in there instead.

On the steering wheel I get skip functions on services like spotify, and volume. The voice button activates the in car system that doesn't get removed with the stereo, and I don't think it is programmable to the new head unit in order to activate Siri/Google.

The only information I see on the dash computer is the frequency number on FM radio. It won't display the radio station, and no other service info like track/artist on Spotify. I have not tired a CD so cannot confirm either way on that.

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the quick reply very helpful! what is ashtray delete? I assume take the ash tray out. I only use mine for change so that sounds like a decent idea!

What head unit have you installed?

That looks good I would have to replace the aluminium look around the gearstick to make it look nicer but seems a lot less effort that having it in the arm rest! Thanks

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Looking forward to IOS 12 as CarPlay is expected to support Google Maps and Waze ...

Reactions: MrBCODC87
I don't use Apple, so my experience is not based on Car Play, but I have fitted an aftermarket Android unit in place of my RNS-E and here are my findings.

Running a cable to the armrest would involve quite a bit of work. I removed my in car kit from the arm rest and I was unable to remove the cables fitted by Audi, I had to cut them out. The gap is extremely narrow and tight as it bends around the hinge area. You could possibly do it if you took the armrest apart, but I can't see that being worth the effort.
I ended up getting the 'ash tray delete' and put my phone in there instead.

On the steering wheel I get skip functions on services like spotify, and volume. The voice button activates the in car system that doesn't get removed with the stereo, and I don't think it is programmable to the new head unit in order to activate Siri/Google.

The only information I see on the dash computer is the frequency number on FM radio. It won't display the radio station, and no other service info like track/artist on Spotify. I have not tired a CD so cannot confirm either way on that.

I hope that helps a bit.
Hey Dave, I am considering making the same changes on my RNS-E equipped 06' A3, but I am still hesitant about the real world usage of it. You mentioned using the ashtray area for your phone, which is what I was consindering as well, but I wanted to inquire how exactly you proceeded with that, I assume you bought an AUX cable and sent it through to the ashtray compartment, if so what cable did you use and how long?

Thanks in advance !

i, like davey, have an android unit but i also added a carplay dongle so that the 2nd driver of the car can use their iphone with it.
heres a video of when i first installed it around march.

i fitted a flush mount usb socket in the ashtray. you could have it in the armrest of course, but would require more stripping down to run the wire, but theres nothing stopping you other than your ability/perseverance. another option could be the storage area underneath the armrest, where the cup holders are. thatd be easier.

the steering controls eg. connects2 are fixed setting so no way to tell what exactly will work and what wont until you fit it all. on the android unit i have, the software for the carplay dongle allows you to set functions, so i have the track scoll steering button as the siri command. the push in click of the track scroll button would have been ideal but that didnt even register so as you see its never 100% with the steering buttons.

as davey said, the only thing you get with the android units is the fm frequency, nothing else. however thats still more than you get with other aftermarket unit. there used to be adapters thatd show info on the dis, but atm i cant find any for the a3. (even if i could find one itd be £80+ imo)

as to rns-e vs carplay unit, i would personally say a carplay unit. the rns-e is outdated and expensive. what it has going for it is the perfect fitment and the oem look. the aftermarket double dins require a fascia which makes it look aftermarket, and the android a3 units dont fit 100% perfectly, but the rns-e units are **** for features so its always gonna be a trade off. for me, the android units are the way forward, but to each their own

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and MrBCODC87
btw if you do go down the sony/pioneer route, i have a connects2 fascia and a connects2 ctsad005.2 i need to sell. bought them, then changed my mind and bought the xtrons.

Hey Dave, I am considering making the same changes on my RNS-E equipped 06' A3, but I am still hesitant about the real world usage of it. You mentioned using the ashtray area for your phone, which is what I was consindering as well, but I wanted to inquire how exactly you proceeded with that, I assume you bought an AUX cable and sent it through to the ashtray compartment, if so what cable did you use and how long?

Thanks in advance !
Hi,
No, my phone does not connect the stereo by any wires, there is no need.
I use the phone and radio to connect via Bluetooth, which then triggers my phone to turn on the wifi hotspot and the stereo then streams audio directly and gets waze updates.
Calls are made over BT as usual, everything else is stand alone.

btw if you do go down the sony/pioneer route, i have a connects2 fascia and a connects2 ctsad005.2 i need to sell. bought them, then changed my mind and bought the xtrons.
Do you have Bose? ctsad005.2 seems to have so called amp retention. I’m after an adapter for my non Bose, half amplified system but not sure which Connects2 adapter I need!

Do you have Bose? ctsad005.2 seems to have so called amp retention. I’m after an adapter for my non Bose, half amplified system but not sure which Connects2 adapter I need!
I bought that adapter for my half amped speakers. From what I googled at the time, that was the adapter that was needed. Your car uses quad lock right?

If you want to run usb cable to come out off the Arm rest simples just take center consoul out it's not as hard as you think it is and all in take you about an hour , if you have the phone cradle already in the Armrest this again can be removed easily , as for the cables going into Armrest just unplug them at the back off armrest once you remove ashtray you should see some cables held in by clips and 2 connectors unplug and then remove armrest , then if you wish to break down Armrest to remove cradle give me a shout .

Mine uses a mini ISO.
There are two choices:

CTSAD003.3 (https://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSAD003.3) and

CTSAD007.3 (https://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSAD007.3)

Looking at old forum posts, the former should be good enough, although there’s multiple mention of having to set the fader all the way to the back to balance out the sound, which makes me think that the latter would provide enough power not to have to do that?

Ah, so found out why the latter matters. The factory stereo outputs at around 6v but the standard HUs usually at 4v. The Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB I just acquired outputs at 4v for sure.
The HI/LO converter that comes with the latter would be helpful in this case.
To be honest the former would work too, but I suspect sound quality will be potentially compromised.